News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

djkidkaz

Ok I’ll be the optimist.

Iger was retired and rich beyond his dreams. His legacy was already in place and he would have gone down as a great CEO of the company buying Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, updating the parks, launching Disney+, etc. the guy did not have to do anything more at this point and I’m sure he’s more than aware if he doesn’t turn the nose up on this plane he is going to hurt his own legacy. There really is no benefit for him to come back other than he is trying to right the wrong of naming Chapek his successor and leave the company better than he left it. I can see an opportunity here where Iger works with Dana and Josh over the next two years and they co-CEO the company after his exit.

I also think that Iger will put some investment back into the parks. If you have two years to get a successor ready you need to start giving them projects to oversee. It can’t all be hypothetical and blue sky and then two years later you give them the keys to the company. You need to say “Ok Josh, you have Epic Universe about to launch here shortly. Go make a business decision on how you plan to combat that and let’s move forward.” Iger did not come back to have epic universe open up right before he leaves and have Universal pulling market share away. I also trust Josh that he gets the parks and why people love it. There was a video that Josh posted during the pandemic when the parks were closed and he mentioned the question of what the parks are like while closed. He didn’t go and walk an attraction or highlight merchandise or bring in characters to put on a silly advertisement. He turned on the BGM music at Hollywood Studios and then walked out of frame and just let it play. In that moment I said “man, this guy gets it!”

I think with Iger guiding the ship and Dana and Josh growing and learning for two years we will be in good hands going forward. Also, I can’t wait to see the standing ovation Iger gets at the next D23.

denyuntilcaught

Iger may have had a good image to most in 2019 but there is much more scrutiny now. I'd like to see him try to defend his support for human rights nightmare communist China in a post 2020 world.
Good shout, but who cares?

And by that I mean, does the general public really care? While Wall Street is the most crucial audience, it isn't the largest one.

Cmdr_Crimson

Good things come to those who wait?
And shareholders who wait, hopefully.
92Ao.gif

Indy_UK

I’m thrilled Iger is back.

He isn’t perfect but he did the best job he could have setting Disney up for the future. Probably overpaid for Fox but long term, it will pay off

Probably not the best CEO for the parks but the best overall CEO for the company

I do think he has unfinished business with the company. The streaming needs a lot of work (especially in the US where I believe they really need to consolidate the services) they need to really step up with the theatrical runs and Star brining in the $1 billion releases. Avatar will prove that the demand is there…

Parks, he could just announce a load of cancelled projects to add capacity

I think he needs 4 years to really find a decent successor, and have his final, final goodbye… finally

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I’m thrilled Iger is back.

He isn’t perfect but he did the best job he could have setting Disney up for the future. Probably overpaid for Fox but long term, it will pay off

Probably not the best CEO for the parks but the best overall CEO for the company

I do think he has unfinished business with the company. The streaming needs a lot of work (especially in the US where I believe they really need to consolidate the services) they need to really step up with the theatrical runs and Star brining in the $1 billion releases. Avatar will prove that the demand is there…

Parks, he could just announce a load of cancelled projects to add capacity

I think he needs 4 years to really find a decent successor, and have his final, final goodbye… finally
I don't think there has been a good CEO for the parks since Eisner, but Chapek was literally the worst thing for the current parks. Iger might at least fall into some decent new content acquisition or something. Chapek was just THE worst pick for CEO overall and it took them 2+ years and an ill-advised extension to figure it out.

They are in "reset" mode with a trusted hand taking over for the next 2 years and saying, "screwed up on the succession plan, let's find the right guy now."

Let's hope they don't screw it up again.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don't think there has been a good CEO for the parks since Eisner, but Chapek was literally the worst thing for the current parks. Iger might at least fall into some decent new content acquisition or something. Chapek was just THE worst pick for CEO overall and it took them 2+ years and an ill-advised extension to figure it out.

They are in "reset" mode with a trusted hand taking over for the next 2 years and saying, "We F'd up on the succession plan, let's find the right guy now."

Let's hope they don't screw it up again.
The company needs a dynamic duo running it. See: Walt and Roy.

mgf

I think it is at least important to point out that Disney fully expected to have losses on Disney+ but also that it would reach profitability faster than competitors because it already had studios and an extensive and valuable back catalogue. D+ has actually beat expectations for many months. The company is still smashing on subscriptions. This is an expensive space: https://thestreamable.com/news/new-...s-will-spend-140-5-billion-on-content-in-2022

CaptinEO

Good shout, but who cares?

And by that I mean, does the general public really care? While Wall Street is the most crucial audience, it isn't the largest one.
I'm not sure the general public cares a lot on this topic as they turn a blind eye to it, but I expect to see less publicity when it comes to Chinese relations vs how things were in 2016.

Disone

The American public has no option to buy high end consumer electronics made in America.

Also the average consumer isn't a CEO wining and dining the president of China for business deals.

TWDC is knowingly and wifully making deals with the devil.

Only a fool is blaming corporate greed on the average american. Your argument is the same as telling Americans to stop buying gas so the prices go down. You don't really have a choice.
as he stated the challenge, it wasn't buy American but rather to not buy made in whole or part from China.

I also don't believe in judging people for decisions they made years ago by what we now know today. The political climate is definitely different today and I'm not sure that deal would have gone through today. I don't hold a grudge because it went through when it did.

So I think his point remains true, you're only using that against Iger because you don't like him. And that's fine, but he doesn't have to agree either.

JoeCamel

I'm not sure the general public cares a lot on this topic as they turn a blind eye to it, but I expect to see less publicity when it comes to Chinese relations vs how things were in 2016.
Do you give money to the mouse? Your posts indicate that you do so given your feelings why would you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom