News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

MrPromey

Well I travel for work a ton, and I do enjoy my Disney+ content on my ipad when on the road. I believe you are missing the big picture here, but then again, til we see exactly what is offered we really don't know.

The big picture being?.. That Disney is going to revolutionize something here?

If so, yeah, I'm missing it because anything home-grown from Disney requiring any sort of major technical infrastructure seems dubious at best but who knows, maybe they'll acquire someone for something other than IP and that'll fix things.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The big picture being?.. That Disney is going to revolutionize something here?

If so, yeah, I'm missing it because anything home-grown from Disney requiring any sort of major technical infrastructure seems dubious at best but who knows, maybe they'll acquire someone for something other than IP and that'll fix things.
They did. It was called Major League Baseball Advanced Media, aka MLBAM, aka BAMTech, aka Disney Streaming.

Also Hulu.

But yes, you're vastly missing the big picture. My American Express card includes a gym membership, a streaming service, loyalty status at multiple hotel chains, Walmart+ (which includes a second streaming service), and all sorts of other incidental benefits. My internet package with Comcast includes Peacock, which includes WWE Network. It's not 2008 anymore. Before long, Netflix will be the only streaming platform that *doesn't* include other services and benefits.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
From the announcement, this seems more like Disney's attempt to create a sort of cable bundle for Disney products.
The "Disney bundle" already exists. Once they add ESPN proper to ESPN+, they will have essentially replaced the cable bundle a under their umbrella.

What Disney has actually has a much stronger set of connections but it's just weird they have decided to try to pivot the streaming Disney+ product into the everything-to-everyone product/service they want to roll out.
I think what you're missing is that you're envisioning this as a one-size-fits-all thing. Instead, think of Disney+ as an umbrella with various add-ons.

MrPromey

The "Disney bundle" already exists. Once they add ESPN proper to ESPN+, they will have essentially replaced the cable bundle a under their umbrella.

Yes, I'm aware.

Maybe I should have made "products" bold and a font size larger to emphasize my meaning.

I think what you're missing is that you're envisioning this as a one-size-fits-all thing. Instead, think of Disney+ as an umbrella with various add-ons.

Maybe I've just been reading too much lately about global issues and some of rediculous propaganda being vomited up by a certain country to justify certain actions and losses but shoving this all under the "umbrella" of their money-losing streaming service feels like a very cynical way to push that particular business.

Otherwise, why choose the money-losing VOD streaming service to brand the whole thing under?

Instead of coming up with a new "umbrella" not anchored to any single product or service in the company?

MrPromey

They did. It was called Major League Baseball Advanced Media, aka MLBAM, aka BAMTech, aka Disney Streaming.

Also Hulu.

Yeah - that's how they managed to get streaming off the ground. That's why it actually worked - they didn't build it.

But I'm talking about the rest of this stuff Bob is selling.

But yes, you're vastly missing the big picture. My American Express card includes a gym membership, a streaming service, loyalty status at multiple hotel chains, Walmart+ (which includes a second streaming service), and all sorts of other incidental benefits. My internet package with Comcast includes Peacock, which includes WWE Network. It's not 2008 anymore. Before long, Netflix will be the only streaming platform that *doesn't* include other services and benefits.

My cell phone service "includes" AAA, Netflix, Apple TV, Peacock, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now, too... Also a free Whoper from Burger King this week but they're still my cell phone company - not my road service streaming platform burger place.

With stuff like that and your Amex those are traditionally referred to as perks.

So yeah, if Disney wants to offer "perks" for being Disney+ subscribers, that's different from trying to brand it as the all things Disney thing.

This feels like they're trying to make the Disney+ subscription and by virtue, that service, central to any Disney "fan's" relationship with the company.

I can't tell if you are missing my point or just ignoring it.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In going to start an affinity platform for my multinational media conglomerate. Should I build it on top of my streaming platform that already has 150 million paid subscribers? No, no, I should start a new platform from scratch that has zero subscribers because @MrPromey doesn't think anything should ever be bundled with an SVOD product.

MrPromey

In going to start an affinity platform for my multinational media conglomerate. Should I build it on top of my streaming platform that already has 150 million paid subscribers? No, no, I should start a new platform from scratch that has zero subscribers because @MrPromey doesn't think anything should ever be bundled with an SVOD product.

Well, @MrPromey doesn't think anyone who acts like a big baby to people they disagree with is qualified to run a multinational media conglomerate so I'd suggest you hand the reigns to someone else and let them figure it out.

Not sure who you're trying to impress or call to arms in this armchair debate with a post like this anyway but I guess the ad hominem attack is easier than actually talking to the points like I've bothered doing with you when I've replied to your condescending responses 👍

... doesn't think anything should ever be bundled with an SVOD product.

Also, I never said that so either your comprehension level is on par with your behavior or, well, whatever.

Anyway, this show's I've clearly been wasting my time even talking to you so I'm out.

Feel free to enjoy the victory of the last word.

Last edited:

DonniePeverley

There is a worry about the quality of the output that is so far being released under Chapek.

Seems alot of quanity over quality.

Long term wise if you keep pushing quanity over quality you are going to see diminishing returns. Last few Marvel movies, marvel tv shows have been very average at least (thinking Thor, SheHulk etc).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wow. Go on vacation for a few (well, 11) days and what happened to $DIS? It was floating around $110/share, today it's $95 and change?

JD80

There is a worry about the quality of the output that is so far being released under Chapek.

Seems alot of quanity over quality.

Long term wise if you keep pushing quanity over quality you are going to see diminishing returns. Last few Marvel movies, marvel tv shows have been very average at least (thinking Thor, SheHulk etc).

SheHulk is the top of the MCU D+ stuff so far in my opinion. Thor was pretty great. Strange 2 was pretty average at best.

DonniePeverley

SheHulk is the top of the MCU D+ stuff so far in my opinion. Thor was pretty great. Strange 2 was pretty average at best.

Yeah i stopped reading after that bolded sentence. Everyone is entitlted to an opinion, but the general consensus (think rotten tomatoes website) is that movie was poor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom