Changes to dining plan for 2011

biggy H

Original Poster
According to some UK travel agents (Virgin Holidays being one) the dining plan for 2011 will be dropping the dessert as well now. Reports also suggest no refillable mugs either on the QSDP but you will get an extra snack. So far this affects QSDP, normal DDP and the Deluxe DDP (other plans not normall availble via UK TA's). People have been trying to get confirmation from Disney but as they haven't released any info about the 2011 plan the cro cannot confirm it yet. If I remember correctly Virgin Holidays first reported the dropping of the appetiser and gratuities first as well.

JACKIE153

Being "forced" to pay for dessert is one of the criticisms of the dining plan. Perhaps Disney will drop the price too?

Unfortunately that is not the case,:( it is now more expensive although it is being offered free to UK customers over a wider range of dates for 2011 than ever before.

DisneyMusician2

I find this really hard to believe. This is certainly one of those wait and see, but to make the price point more expensive and drop the dessert only works if they want to scuttle the program.

Half the appeal was that it came with the dessert for those for us who like to eat a sit down meal every night. It was bad enough when they took the gratuity out, but if you remove the dessert, the plan has no real value anymore.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Being "forced" to pay for dessert is one of the criticisms of the dining plan. Perhaps Disney will drop the price too?

Laughing_Chimp.gif

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
To be fair there is nothing on any of the company sites, and the only reference I can find is in threads on boards like this, relating to info passed during telephone calls for bookings.

However if it dies it may see some return of quality and variety to the food being offered, rather than homogenised menus. Lets hope its just not another way of increasing margin while reducing value.

jakeman

To be fair there is nothing on any of the company sites, and the only reference I can find is in threads on boards like this, relating to info passed during telephone calls for bookings.

However if it dies it may see some return of quality and variety to the food being offered, rather than homogenised menus. Lets hope its just not another way of increasing margin while reducing value.
I hope so.

Dining has been on a upswing lately, particularly the QSRs.

If DDP dies perhaps that upswing will continue past its last peak of 2004ish.

sanctumsolitude

Agreed there is no point to the DP anymore.

Agree! Assuming this is true, you would have to really try to maximize value from the DDP to not lose money. Not ordering an expensive entree (must be >$25), or using a TS credit at lunch would actually result in you losing money by buying the DDP.

kapeman

I understand your sentiment about the dining plan driving the menus to the lowest common denominator, but I believe that it would have happened with or without the plan's existence in order to cut costs.

The plan has worked well in the past, but this may kill it for us, provided this info is accurate.

I can see this driving more to the TiW card now. I had written TiW off and now I am rethinking it.

Ausdaddy

When they removed the appetizer, they dropped the price by $1. I would expect the same followed by a price increase the next year. I'll be surprised if they actually make this change to the plan.

Agreed there is no point to the DP anymore.

It can still be a value if used properly. I mean, depending on where you eat, you can get some mileage out of it.

Disneykidder

The dining plan was awesome when it included gratuities and appetizer. We paid for that and it really was a great value. Then when they dropped those 2 it was still a decent value. But now it is kind of pricey and dropping the dessert will really make the appeal to it decline. If indeed this does happen, I think it will not be bought into as much and Disney will possibly revert back to including the dessert. Hey, that is about $5 per person per meal being taken out for a dessert.

I priced the dining plan into my 7 day stay for August and it made my numbers go up by $450 for QS and $580 for Plus. $580 is kind of a lot for 2 adults and a 7 year old. We love relaxing at a sit down meal after a long day at the parks but that seems high to me. I need to crunch the numbers. We have done the plan in the past but I don't remember it being that much more.

I hate rumors. I think we just need to wait and see and not worry about it until it actually happens.:wave:

Lee

Adventurer
Hopefully the evil dining plan of doom is on the way out. Finally.

I hold out hope for a return to traditional dining at the MK. Good quality. Varied menus. Fewer characters.

floridabill

When they removed the appetizer, they dropped the price by $1. I would expect the same followed by a price increase the next year. I'll be surprised if they actually make this change to the plan.

It can still be a value if used properly. I mean, depending on where you eat, you can get some mileage out of it.

very true! But if they do this then what is the point of the plan?? and if they are all going to offer the same why have different price levels??!! I hope they don't do this i thought it was popular?? so why mess it up? yes back in the day it was awesome. and today it is still ok, but this will kill it im afraid :cry:

kapeman

very true! But if they do this then what is the point of the plan?? and if they are all going to offer the same why have different price levels??!! I hope they don't do this i thought it was popular?? so why mess it up? yes back in the day it was awesome. and today it is still ok, but this will kill it im afraid :cry:

This on top of the seasonal pricing should kill it for a lot of people.

JACKIE153

Here in the UK we book our holidays a lot more in advance and all the holiday brochures for 2011 are now released. They all have a change to the Dining Plan for 2011 and my Travel Agent who I have already booked Port Orleans Riverside with for next October e-mailed me at the weekend regarding these changes, there is no longer a desert included on any of the plans anymore.

floridabill

Here in the UK we book our holidays a lot more in advance and all the holiday brochures for 2011 are now released. They all have a change to the Dining Plan for 2011 and my Travel Agent who I have already booked Port Orleans Riverside with for next October e-mailed me at the weekend regarding these changes, there is no longer a desert included on any of the plans anymore.
hmm so i don't get the point of all the different levels then? why have deluxe if there is no dessert!!?? i think they are trying to kill it at this point cause who is going to do it?? And if stinks cause before the dining plan my family were sharing hot dogs because we couldn't afford to sit down. so though many may be happy this is kinda a big blow for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom