Change of plans and now we might take two kids instead of one... help!

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
So long story short, my boyfriend's cousin has gotten herself into a bit of a jam, so he and I may be taking her two year old with us on our trip (with our five year old daughter) in ten days. Luckily we were already planning to drive so we wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out an extra plane ticket or something, but I've never had her in the car for more than an hour at one time before and I don't know how she'd react to such a long drive. I'll be borrowing a double DVD player from a friend so I think that'll help a bit, but does anyone else have any other ideas too?

Luckily I know that Disney and Universal both have rider switch so we can trade off the kiddos or one or both are too small for certain rides, but I'm bummed we won't be able to get on certain rides all together since our niece is so little. Has anyone else been down with a two and five year old before? The two year old is known to try to run away (and will therefore most likely be stuck in the stroller most of the time), while my five year old is normally okay. I'll also be borrowing a double stroller from my friend if our niece comes so we have extra space for both of the girls.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

LizC

While I'm sure this is stressful, the memories you will make having both kid together will be wonderful. So nice of you to take your cousin.

I usually put a temp tattoo on my kids with my phone number, in case they get lost. It may be too last minute for that, but perhaps you can just write with a sharpie. (Since you say she had a tendency to run away)

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
While I'm sure this is stressful, the memories you will make having both kid together will be wonderful. So nice of you to take your cousin.

I usually put a temp tattoo on my kids with my phone number, in case they get lost. It may be too last minute for that, but perhaps you can just write with a sharpie. (Since you say she had a tendency to run away)
I actually got my daughter two lanyards from 5Below that I both my name and her dad's with our phone numbers on it, so I can always just give one of them to the little one.
Dramamine. For any potential motion sickness. :cautious:
That's actually a great idea since I'm not sure if she's prone to motion sickness or not. I know my daughter and I aren't, her dad is USUALLY okay (permitting you don't put him on anything that spins), but I've never taken the little one on rides or long car trips.

WDWDreamer4

We just returned from a trip with a 2 year old, 5 year old and 6 year old. We had a blast and you will too. Few things to remember.
The 2 year probably won't take a nap, unless you go back to the room make it cool and completely dark and quiet. So if that is not your plan daily I would suggest around nap time trying a dark inside show, like Hall of Presidents. Worked every time for us to get my 2 year old to take a nap, otherwise she would be miserable by dinner.
Don't expect them to eat a lot. I had my 2 year old and 5 year old share meals most of the week. My kids also asked to pack lunchables and PB&J as they were more into that than the food we could buy at quick service. Take a bunch of snacks. That will help with hunger strikes and waiting in line. Good snack idea, goldfish, granola bars, fruit gummies, veggie straws, pringles (the can is awesome as they chips don't get smashed)
If you want pictures with each park icon, do it early later you may have a cranky set of children.
Child swap is awesome and can be used with fastpass. So for example, you have a fastpass for 7 Dwarves Mine Train. Go to the fastpass line show the 2 year and ask for the rider swap. The cast member will hand a lanyard to the people riding and they will receive the pass when they get to the front of the line. They use their fastpass and go ride with minimal wait. They return and you and 5 year then go back on with the rider swap. This saves a lot of time waiting for all involved. One thing we did learn this year is that the person that didn't use their fastpass either needs to cancel it or switch it to something else otherwise you cannot get extra fastpasses after the first 3 are used.
Plan to let the 2 year old run around. There are a few play areas in each park. Even letting her walk from ride to ride. If you are worried about her running off get a backpack harness. They make some cute animal ones. I know it is a leash, but to give her freedom and you peace of mind that she is with you is all worth it. We used one for my niece when she was 2 and it was a lifesaver for all involved.
Be prepared for her to be scared of characters. Just in case. She may surprise you and love them. My 2 year was fine as long as I was holder her, for every character even princesses. By the end of the trip she would walk up to princesses and hug everyone else from my arms.
Drink a lot of water, get free ice water from any quick service.
You will have a blast, enjoy!

DisneyDaver

So long story short, my boyfriend's cousin has gotten herself into a bit of a jam, so he and I may be taking her two year old with us on our trip (with our five year old daughter) in ten days. Luckily we were already planning to drive so we wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out an extra plane ticket or something, but I've never had her in the car for more than an hour at one time before and I don't know how she'd react to such a long drive. I'll be borrowing a double DVD player from a friend so I think that'll help a bit, but does anyone else have any other ideas too?

Luckily I know that Disney and Universal both have rider switch so we can trade off the kiddos or one or both are too small for certain rides, but I'm bummed we won't be able to get on certain rides all together since our niece is so little. Has anyone else been down with a two and five year old before? The two year old is known to try to run away (and will therefore most likely be stuck in the stroller most of the time), while my five year old is normally okay. I'll also be borrowing a double stroller from my friend if our niece comes so we have extra space for both of the girls.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

I realize I sound like a complete jerk here, but I would try to avoid taking the 2 year old if you can. There are so many attractions that a 5 year old can do, but a 2 year old can't ... and the 2 year may get very upset seeing the 5 year going on rides while the 2 year old stays and watches with you or your boyfriend. Years ago, I went to WDW with my niece and nephews who were 9, 5 and 3 at the time and the 3 year had many crying sessions while his siblings were on rides that he couldn't ride due to height restrictions. We ended up splitting up our group (there were 6 adults) so that the 3 year didn't see what the older kids were doing.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Haha. I both avoided bringing her and embraced it all at once. Luckily she's pretty easy going so I think if my boyfriend and daughter go on one ride and I take her on another, or he takes her and I go with my daughter instead, she'd be cool because she's still going on a ride. The only place I'll be actually nervous is Universal because there's a LOT there that she's just too small for, but we'll make it work.

Thanks so much for all of your help and warnings, I'm going to start thinking of ways to incorporate the things that worked for others and the things that didn't so hopefully it'll be mildly smoothe.

Schneewittchen

My kids are 4 (DD) and 6 (DS) now, but I've been taking them to WDW since child #1 was 15 months.

We have always used two cheap umbrella strollers since they are small and fold easily. Since they don't have all the crazy storage like the massive sport utility strollers, we usually hang a kid size backpack off the back handles. Packed with pullups, wipes, a sippy cup, sunblock and a change of clothes.

We usually avoid rides that we all can't go on, the only exception is that when my daughter was 2, DH took DS on Stitch while I took DD on Carousel of Progress to nap. This really helps avoid hurt feelings.

Sounds like you have girls, so if you can afford it, get them Disney princess dresses so they can be beautiful together. Fix their hair up like princesses in the morning. (Just don't forget a change of clothes if they get too hot). A toddler is a princess gown is the happiest creature on earth.

Try to take meal breaks indoors with AC. Try for low key restful rides in the afternoon - at Epcot, American Adventure, Impressions de France; at MK, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Square Riverboat.

And to spend more of your money, a character meal or two would be great for a pair of little princesses. My little Snow White was so happy to meet big Snow While when she was tiny.

And I'm all about fake it til you make it. So pretending to be jolly and in a good mood and having a wonderful time is contagious. Share a positive outlook with the little people and they will be happy too.

carriebeth

Just got back from a trip to WDW with a 2 year old and a 5 year old plus my 6 other children...so the two would be simple just think you could have 6 more to deal with! I am a huge fan of a good stroller. Those little basic umbrella type are hard to manuever. They are never the right height so you have so angle your body in odd ways to push and that gets annoying real fast. They are not comfortable for the children especially if they do not recline. Even a double stroller that is not one of the top of the line type (the ones that cost $800 plus) is not something I would want to have at WDW. After an airline broke my brand new $1,000 stroller a few years ago and said they were not responsible for damage, we don't fly with strollers anymore. Renting at a place like Kingdom Strollers is fabulous. Its at your resort when you arrive and you simply leave it when you are done. They are good strollers...go for the ones with the largest wheels...much better pushing control.

When you do your planning make sure you mix in a lot of things the little one can do. Don't do 3 or 4 things she will have to sit out for in a row. And if you are doing something with a long wait time that she can't do, take her so something she can do while you wait for others. Otherwise she will feel like all she is doing is waiting.

Carry with you some things like stickers, invisible ink book, etc that the little one can occupy herself with while waiting for others or while waiting for food to arrive etc.

Have her walk holding your hand frequently to tire her out and make her running away much less likely. Since you know she may wander definitely put your name and phone number on her somewhere as well as her name. Just in case it happens it will be much easier to get her back.

At two she may very likely be afraid of the dark...which is most of Disney's rides at some point! A small little dim flashlight or princess wand can be your best friend here. When it gets dark have her shine her light on the floor of you car and look at it so she doesn't have to look at the dark. Also she will probably pick up on the spooky music or voices on certain rides. Be prepared for that to scare her. She may be completely frightened by characters, she may be slightly leary or she may be just fine with them. If she is scared often a few days into a trip a smaller child will come to realize the characters are fine especially if they see other children getting excited about them repeatedly. Just don't push her...let her get braver on her own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom