Change in metal detector policy - June 2019

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Not those with a semblance of intelligence.

I am sure you think you are all knowing of all things, especially in regards to security check points. I have been around the block a time or two as a LEO and I can inform you that what you call "security theater" does quite a bit to deter incidents at Disney as well as anywhere else. Making the person with ill intent have second thoughts about a soft target is the number one priority at any location. Think of it like having an alarm system clearly marked at your house, or a dog. You would feel bad if the thief robbed your neighbor because their house was an easier target, but you would still be happy it wasn't you.

csm

lol.
one of those keyboard warriors it seems

Believe whatever you wish. I never said I'm going to start a fight with an hourly employee who has no control over a bad policy. I said I'm going to immediately request a private conversation with a manager. Believe it or not, you *can* speak out against bad policies, even if they are, ::gasp:: set by Disney.

csm

End of the day if you set off the metal detector they will wand you if you want to go onto their property whether you like it or not.... just deal with it and don't let something so trivial ruin your day... it's not like its a strip search.... on my last trip i was wanded on pretty much every visit to Disney Parks... big deal... didn't ruin my day.

Perhaps don't make assumptions. Not that I owe you or any other "expert" speaking out in this thread an explanation, but I hurt my shoulder a few months back and extending my left arm up even a little bit is still excruciatingly painful, and that pain lasts quite a while after making said motion. If something *I* do sets off the metal detector, that's on me, but if a stupid, poorly planned policy of forcing me to carry metal objects that I know for a fact will set it off is what's going to cause me physical pain, you're damn right that I'm going to speak out against it.

So big deal? Yes, it is a big deal. Like everyone here, I'm a huge supporter of the Disney product - but that doesn't mean that I - or any of us - need to just blindly support everything they do, because some of those things ARE poor decisions that negatively impact guests "Because The Rules."

Last edited:

mm121

Seaworld has been doing this for a while. It's an absolutely stupid policy. Don't make me carry my iPhone through knowing it will set it off. If you do, don't be surprised when I ask for a manager when you try to wand me.

At Disney, they get quite uppity if you try to put things on the table before passing through. I do it anyway- and guess what? No wand. I'd advise every person that gets inconvenienced by this at every park take the time to file a written complaint in Guest Relations. Frontline people are programmed to follow the corporate machine; yelling at them won't solve anything. GR is the only way there's even a slim chance of correcting this nonsense.
They should have baskets for this exact purpose and maybe a special stand next to the machine to sit it on then they could see the stuff and less chance of things getting lost or stolen

beertiki

No. It's security theater. BTW. If anything bad ever happens at Disney, it won't be coming through the front gates.
Yes, it will come through the front gate. You can bring a while lot of bad inside or under a stroller or ECV. While security is checking inside my sunglasses case, or making me unfold a weightless rain jacket, or looking inside wallets, the guy next to me with the double wide stroller that could have an assault rifle with extra mags under the cushions rolls right in. The ECV never gets a 2nd glance, and I am sure you could stock it with enough weapons to hold the castle for a month.

csm

They should have baskets for this exact purpose and maybe a special stand next to the machine to sit it on then they could see the stuff and less chance of things getting lost or stolen

Exactly. Like they always *used to have* at both companies prior to this inane recent change.

TrainsOfDisney

Someone seriously needs to get a lawyer involved and make an official ADA complaint. How does a deaf guest understand the policies, and what they are being asked to do? What about multi-lingual.

There needs to be written policies in place regarding the security procedures. I should know what is and what’s not expected of me.

lazyboy97o

Someone seriously needs to get a lawyer involved and make an official ADA complaint. How does a deaf guest understand the policies, and what they are being asked to do? What about multi-lingual.

There needs to be written policies in place regarding the security procedures. I should know what is and what’s not expected of me.
How is this an issue of access? Are deaf persons being denied entry?

The Empress Lilly

Deaf have a problem with their hearing, not with their brains. They are quite adapt at functioning in larger society.

TrainsOfDisney

Deaf have a problem with their hearing, not with their brains. They are quite adapt at functioning in larger society.

I certainly wasn’t trying to imply that deaf people have any issues with comprehension.... I was only saying if I wasn’t able to hear or understand the verbal instructions at Disney security I would have no idea what I should do. Are you deaf or do you have a relative that is? I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of someone who is regarding these precedures.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's all just fake reassurance - it's pitifully stupid and an inept method to stop anyone bringing anything in that's bad.

I also don't get why they don't stop the crowded charade and just do a fake random scan of the bags like Universal do. It's quicker and moves queues along.
Did you forget to read this?

Jordanaous

Question for guests that have BEEN to the MK after the "leave it in your pockets" Security change....

Does it work? Or is every other person getting wanded?

It worked really well at the MK for me, but then every other park was massively sensitive. I have a metal business card holder that I use as a card wallet and the security at DHS told me it is probably that which triggered the scanner. He recommended I put it on the table when I go through, but every time I do that a security guard gets uppity and tells me to put it in my pocket. I tell them it will go off, and lo and behold it goes off. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom