Cell phones on rides (rant)

bubbles1812

That begs a question. I wonder how operas, theater shows (like cats)treat phones. Are they allowed? I know some concerts make you use yonder.
Pretty cool idea maybe disney could do this. Like now you secure your stuff on roller coasters. Actually they could just make boxes on the rides where you put your phone hat personal items in and when the vehicle is in motion it locks.
Phones are generally banned for any theater shows, broadway shows, symphonies, operas and the like. Case in point, I was at the Salzburg Music Festival last week for a symphony and we couldn’t have phones out once the performance began. Saw Hamilton in Chicago a few months ago and same thing. Phones allowed during either performance would have ruined them.

Though bootlegs of stuff like that do, of course, pop up occasionally. That’s why bootleg copies of movies do too. There’s always gotta be someone to violate the rules.

Mikey73181

distracting?? sure, vacation ruining?? not so much. I pretty much try and let the small stuff roll, actually I tend to fell bad because society no longer knows how to enjoy the "moment" . I recognized that one time while recording my sons graduation, realized that I really didn't experience it because I had my face in a screen trying to "capture" it.

Sorry you had a bad experience op

I'm guilty of this and I even realize I'm doing it. I just got back from Disney this past weekend, and I remembered last year that when I recorded things like HEA,Fantasmic, Illuminations etc...I basically watched the show thru my phone instead of looking up. ( I always try to get a closer viewing area so I can keep my phone low and out of others sightlines and I also turn my brightness lower) So this year I told myself to actually watch the shows while still recording, and event tho I tried, I still found myself constantly looking at the phone to make sure the shot was still centered or whatever. I'm going back for quick trip end of next month for the final ROE and first Epcot Forever. I want to be able to record both, but I especially want to enjoy both shows since it will be my last and first time seeing each of them.

MaximumEd

I'm guilty of this and I even realize I'm doing it. I just got back from Disney this past weekend, and I remembered last year that when I recorded things like HEA,Fantasmic, Illuminations etc...I basically watched the show thru my phone instead of looking up. ( I always try to get a closer viewing area so I can keep my phone low and out of others sightlines and I also turn my brightness lower) So this year I told myself to actually watch the shows while still recording, and event tho I tried, I still found myself constantly looking at the phone to make sure the shot was still centered or whatever. I'm going back for quick trip end of next month for the final ROE and first Epcot Forever. I want to be able to record both, but I especially want to enjoy both shows since it will be my last and first time seeing each of them.

There will be folks doing professional quality recordings of those shows that will probably be on YouTube before you get back to your room. Just enjoy the show.

mouse_luv

I think it depends upon where the other guest's screen is, in relation to your line of sight. For example, I was sitting in a middle row on the boat in Small World. A guest in front of me had her tablet held up (directly in my line of sight) for the entire ride. It was distracting.

On rides such as Haunted Mansion, each group has its own Doom Buggy space. If people in other buggies are filming, it doesn't distract me.
Except when you are going through the endless hall of doors and the buggys are moving around differently/rotating, or in Madame Leota's room, where you go around in a circle all facing out. I have had this several times happen, people won't turn their damn phone light off or are taking flash photos and boom right in your face, so you can't say that it doesn't happen in HM.

Most of the time, as long as it doesn't affect me and isn't simple common sense to not do something and isn't annoying I don't care what people do.

Heppenheimer

Phones are generally banned for any theater shows, broadway shows, symphonies, operas and the like. Case in point, I was at the Salzburg Music Festival last week for a symphony and we couldn’t have phones out once the performance began. Saw Hamilton in Chicago a few months ago and same thing. Phones allowed during either performance would have ruined them.

Though bootlegs of stuff like that do, of course, pop up occasionally. That’s why bootleg copies of movies do too. There’s always gotta be someone to violate the rules.
At classical concerts, etiquette usually dictates you do nothing except sit quietly in your seat until intermission or the end of the concert. No cell phones, no recording devices, even the auditorium doors shouldn't open unless necessary. Some people consider this overly stuffy, others (more mature people) consider it a courtesy to the performers and other audience members. I have seen these informal rules enforced, particularly in Europe.

Nemo14

I am a big fan of photographing your meal. We put them into a clipshow when we get home and it sparks great memories and conversation. Plus it helps you remember your day so it doesn't all blur together.
That's fine, but it needn't be posted for all the world to see.

The_Jobu

I wish there was a way Disney could electronically disable all cell phones and recording devices once one enters the attraction. As many have posted I too find it an all to frequent display of poor manners and a total disregard for other people.

I think the best they could do would be blocking their mobile reception, but I think that’s illegal. To actually remotely turn off their phones the only manner I can think of is an EMP, which would be... problematic. Nice idea though.

jaklgreen

That's fine, but it needn't be posted for all the world to see.

I am a baker and believe that pastry is an art. It takes skill and years of practice, not unlike other arts. I love looking at baked goods and pastries to see what is new or what others are making. It makes me happy, just like it makes others happy to look at art in a museum. So what you might find uninteresting and stupid, others find interest and joy in. I am sure that some things that you are into, I would probably find boring and stupid.

Heppenheimer

I am a baker and believe that pastry is an art. It takes skill and years of practice, not unlike other arts. I love looking at baked goods and pastries to see what is new or what others are making. It makes me happy, just like it makes others happy to look at art in a museum. So what you might find uninteresting and stupid, others find interest and joy in. I am sure that some things that you are into, I would probably find boring and stupid.
I love looking at pictures of cakes. Its a sort of proxy to avoid the health consequences of eating them constantly. As I posted earlier, my only objection is to a situation I've seen in Disney parks where people hold up the line (or insist that others move out of the way) so that they can take pictures of all the baked treats in the display case. Buy your cupcake, step out of the way and take all the pictures you want, I don't care. But don't inconvenience everyone else who only want to use those treats for their intended purpose- eating them, not sharing the images online with an enthralled audience of followers that probably exists only in the photographer's imagination.

jaklgreen

I love looking at pictures of cakes. Its a sort of proxy to avoid the health consequences of eating them constantly. As I posted earlier, my only objection is to a situation I've seen in Disney parks where people hold up the line (or insist that others move out of the way) so that they can take pictures of all the baked treats in the display case. Buy your cupcake, step out of the way and take all the pictures you want, I don't care. But don't inconvenience everyone else who only want to use those treats for their intended purpose- eating them, not sharing the images online with an enthralled audience of followers that probably exists only in the photographer's imagination.

Exactly, be considerate of those around you. Society is losing that common courtesy.

Minnesota disney fan

After reading all of this, I was just wondering if anyone confronts these rude thoughtless people?
If it truly doesn't bother me much, I just ignore it. But if it starts to ruin my experience, I will lean over, or state loudly, :"Do you know your light is interfering with the ride? Please turn it off". Very rarely does anyone Not turn it off with an apology. I think some are just ignorant of the fact that it might bother others.

Nemo14

I don't mind seeing the cakes and pastries, and you're right, it is an art form, but do we really need to see another burger, fries and a diet coke? Those type of pictures I could do without.

mouse_luv

After reading all of this, I was just wondering if anyone confronts these rude thoughtless people?
If it truly doesn't bother me much, I just ignore it. But if it starts to ruin my experience, I will lean over, or state loudly, :"Do you know your light is interfering with the ride? Please turn it off". Very rarely does anyone Not turn it off with an apology. I think some are just ignorant of the fact that it might bother others.
My husband does LOL!

Club Cooloholic

I am really against people recording rides etc. I am sorry but it's just dumb. There are plenty of ride videos, shot on better equipment than whatever phone you are using. It's like taking a pic of a peacock at the zoo, we all know what one looks like and a better photographer somewhere has taken better pics of one before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom