Celiac During Pandemic

Tealeaf

Original Poster
Man, when I first came on this forum I mentioned a 2021 trip. It's happening, but now I have Celiac, too! How the times change.

I haven't been to WDW with Celiac before but I've been reading up and I'm excited to feel generally safe and be able to eat places. Unfortunately, most of the information available is pre-Covid times and I have a few specific questions:
1. With mobile orders being mandatory at Quick Serve restaurants-Has anyone with Celiac or other allergies felt safe just ordering through the mobile app? I'd most likely reach out to the chef/manager and make them aware of my diet, but I'm curious what anyone's luck has been with mobile ordering.
2. What's the general dialogue you have with the chef or manager? Very curious about how it goes with the food courts in the resorts. We're looking at the Poly (DVC studio room, but hopefully the construction will be complete by August).
3. Anything totally weird or unexpected? I know to pack some snacks and electrolyte drinks beforehand in case I can't get to a safe restaurant in time, but anything beyond that?
4. Just general experiences with eating with allergens during the Pandemic?

StarWarsGirl

With mobile orders being mandatory at Quick Serve restaurants-Has anyone with Celiac or other allergies felt safe just ordering through the mobile app? I'd most likely reach out to the chef/manager and make them aware of my diet, but I'm curious what anyone's luck has been with mobile ordering.
The app has allergy friendly menus available. That being said, if for some reason you're not comfortable, you can still go up to the restaurant and explain you need to order there; there's usually a cash register open; they just prefer that you use mobile order.
Screenshot_20210116-172058_Disney World.jpg

2. What's the general dialogue you have with the chef or manager? Very curious about how it goes with the food courts in the resorts. We're looking at the Poly (DVC studio room, but hopefully the construction will be complete by August).
Poly you should be fine. I don't have celiac; my issue at Poly is I'm allergic to pineapple. They're careful about cleaning, keeping things separate, making sure I don't order something with pineapple, etc. Their food court there is very good.

3. Anything totally weird or unexpected? I know to pack some snacks and electrolyte drinks beforehand in case I can't get to a safe restaurant in time, but anything beyond that?
There's fewer stands open, so I would keep more snacks on hand than usual just in case you can't get someplace safe in time. I always found fruit and veggie cups, hummus, etc were easily available in all the parks, though.

4. Just general experiences with eating with allergens during the Pandemic?
They tend to send the chefs out less than usual. You'll probably deal more with managers and waiters who will communicate with the chef more than the chef themselves. That being said, it's largely unchanged and I never felt uncomfortable with my allergies. I don't have celiac, but I have multiple food allergies. I think you'll be fine.

Tealeaf

Original Poster
Thank you for the in-depth reply! The mobile order system having the menus certainly helps, can serve as a nice "see what the heck everyone is offering" too before walking over there.
I'll try to think of some good snacks to pack, I'll pay less for hummus if I can help it, lol.

TrainsOfDisney

Not since covid but when you order in the app there will be a little wooden stick in the food that says “allergen friendly” or something like that... so you’ll know it’s not the normal serving by mistake.

Once at pop century food court I asked if there was any gluten in the sweet potato fries, the chef that came out said they weren’t an ingredient but that they don’t guarantee they are gluten free since they also fry the chicken tenders in that same area. He offered to make me a side of sweet potato fries in the back at a 100% gluten free fry station.

One benefit of ordering allergy friendly items, you’ll usually be served a much fresher plate.

Good luck Tealeaf, I'd be curious to hear how it went when you return. We went to WDW with our celiac teenage daughter a few years ago and it went very well. Mama Melrose GF pasta and Restaurantosaurus fried tenders/fries basket were two of the standout meals she got on that trip.

henwen

Haven't been since pandemic (going this weekend though!), but I usually didn't do mobile order - for discounts and food allergies. From what I've read, it looks like there has been some improvements to the app, so I'll let you know.

Disney is pretty much my favorite place from a food allergy perspective (I have celiac, and kiddo peanut allergies), because they take it super seriously re cross-contamination, etc. The new restaurant at Riviera (topolinos) had such good GF pasta that I asked them to bring me the box so I can buy it at home :p.

Tealeaf

Original Poster
Haven't been since pandemic (going this weekend though!), but I usually didn't do mobile order - for discounts and food allergies. From what I've read, it looks like there has been some improvements to the app, so I'll let you know.

Disney is pretty much my favorite place from a food allergy perspective (I have celiac, and kiddo peanut allergies), because they take it super seriously re cross-contamination, etc. The new restaurant at Riviera (topolinos) had such good GF pasta that I asked them to bring me the box so I can buy it at home :p.
Was re-reading, just realized you're going in a day or so, I hope you have fun!

HouCuseChickie

I'm very excited for that bakery specifically, I'll visit for sure!

I treated myself to a number of goodies from there last visit. I'm hoping to buy a bunch of things on night 1 of our upcoming trip so I have a good stash of stuff in the room.

49353521326_bfe61567ba_z.jpg

This thin mint was probably my favorite!

49379906273_8945c8b1fd_z.jpg

henwen

Was re-reading, just realized you're going in a day or so, I hope you have fun!
It was short and sweet, but very fun!

For mobile ordering, not all locations could support the allergy menu, and some were limited. Specifically, at Riviera, the QS Primo Piatto did not, and I had to speak with the chef (or manager I think). They did have great options for breakfast and lunch/dinner. The QS in Batuu (I think hangar bay something??) had GF chicken salad as the only option, whereas I think in the past they have been able to modify other meals. However, it was pretty crowded, so I just ordered that on mobile-order, and it was great.

Trattoria al Forno at Boardwalk and Topolinos Terrace at Riviera were our dinners - great GF options. Lunch at Frontera in DS which is like 90% GF as is.

I am curious about the new Gideons (we didn't go, as the line was tremendously long). It looked interesting, and I was wondering if they had any GF options?

Tealeaf

Original Poster
Oh, thank you so much for the information! That's interesting that the allergy menu isn't in, but I guess it makes sense to reduce on mistakes made.
I looked it up and it looks like Gideon's can't do vegan or gluten free options, which makes sense...well, less time in a virtual queue for me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom