Celebrity Millennium -- good news or bad news?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
This has come up in another thread and I thought it deserved its own discussion. The Celebrity Millennium sailed from St. Martin last week with fully vaccinated passengers and crew. During the sailing, two guests tested positive for COVID. Do you feel this is good news (only two cases!) or bad news (even with full vaccinations, the virus couldn't be contained) for the short-term future of the cruise industry?

Last edited:

lostpro9het

This has come up in another thread and I thought it deserved its own discussion. The Celebrity Millennium sailed from St. Martin last week with fully vaccinated passengers and crew. During the sailing guests tested positive for COVID. Do you feel this is good news (only two cases!) or bad news (even with full vaccinations, the virus couldn't be contained) for the short-term future of the cruise industry?
IMO, it is a good step because it is the first step in accepting that COVID, in some form or another, aint going away. This is also a first step in eradicating the stigma Princess Cruise lines created for the cruise industry in regards to the issue. The Millennium wont be the last with multiple COVID passengers and we need to accept this and move on. If you don't like that risk, take a road trip to your favorite national park. There are other options.

aliceismad

Probably some of both. Those who don't understand the vaccinations might be taken aback and see this as a failure, but most people understand that you can still get covid despite being vaccinated. The fact that it was only 2 people and did not spread is a very good thing.

My understanding is that the folks who tested positive were asymptomatic, and no one would've known they had covid if not for the testing. I know a couple who got covid after being vaccinated - they hadn't traveled or anything. It happens. So long as people continue to be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, the vaccines are doing what they were intended to do.

Phonedave

Probably some of both. Those who don't understand the vaccinations might be taken aback and see this as a failure, but most people understand that you can still get covid despite being vaccinated. The fact that it was only 2 people and did not spread is a very good thing.

My understanding is that the folks who tested positive were asymptomatic, and no one would've known they had covid if not for the testing. I know a couple who got covid after being vaccinated - they hadn't traveled or anything. It happens. So long as people continue to be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, the vaccines are doing what they were intended to do.

Exactly, the vaccines bring it down to manageable levels where many do not get it at all, and most of the remainder who do it are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

Given the fact that normally disease spreads like wildfire on a cruise ship, the fact the 2 people had it and it did not spread further is good news.

Bob Harlem

The first Royal Caribbean cruise on this side of the pond is going on right now (Adventure of the Seas) out of Nassau and seems to be going well too. They are at the private island Coco Cay today. There's a lot of youtubers on it (Including some normally Disney ones) so it's easy to find first hand accounts on it. If this one goes on without a hitch too since it's also going to stop at Cozumel and Freeport, then it'll be a very good sign. The Millennium worked as it didn't spread, since everyone learning to deal with the existence of the virus is something that just has to be done, and the containment shows it can be done.

imahistorygeek

I think it's good news. This gave Celebrity a chance to test its protocols given they are not test cruising before setting sail with paying guests. We're headed out on the Celebrity Edge in October with the understanding that vaccines don't stop you from getting covid.

MaryJaneP

sucks when others testing positive, even if vaccinated, scuttles your cruise plans. Expensive lesson and gotta wonder if there is any legal liability either for the positive cruisers or the lines for the money and experiences lost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom