Celebration Worth it?

ZaneB

Original Poster
I'm a huge disney fan and planning on doing the international program (I live in australia) when I finish school. I'm not very keen on sharing a room and my parent's are looking for a retirement property in florida. I told them about Celebration and we think it looks perfect but I have read many comments of people saying it's terrible!

Are there any residents or people who used to live there that can help out, it would be highly appreciated!

Vader2112

I travel to and from the area frequently. It is a nice place a little pricey for FL. The other thing is that it is very difficult to find a house or appartment in Celebration they are snapped up quickly. THe proximatey to WDW is excellent. One misconception is that the city/town of Celebration is owned and operated by Disney. It is not Disney sold off the property long ago.
Best of luck to you!

ishmael0316

Any recommendations for areas around Orlando? I am going to be accepting a teaching job in Ocoee and am looking for a great family city. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
It's pricier than a lot of real estate in the area, but it is a nice community. The town always has lots of events and things going on that seem like a lot of fun.

Be advised, however, there are pretty strict HOA rules about things like what color you can paint your home, how often you have to mow the lawn, etc. If those things bother you, it's not the community for you.

I strongly considered Celebration, but after weighing options, opted for a less expensive bit of real estate in Dr. Phillips.

wdwstateofmind

Bay Hill and Windmere are great areas that we're looking at...but only because their schools systems are "better" than what the overal state's rankings are (even though I'm in Jersey so I don't know how there can be worse public education system anywhere)...

71jason

Any recommendations for areas around Orlando? I am going to be accepting a teaching job in Ocoee and am looking for a great family city. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Around Ocoee, Windermere is probably your best choice, but it is pricey. Some nice areas around Winter Garden as well.

71jason

Bay Hill and Windmere are great areas that we're looking at...but only because their schools systems are "better" than what the overal state's rankings are (even though I'm in Jersey so I don't know how there can be worse public education system anywhere)...

Trust me, Florida is much, much worse. Even the so-called "A" schools would be average in the northeast.

Back to the OP, Celebration schools are actually not that great--definitely in decline. The houses are too pricey to attract the 30 and 40-something middle class New Urbanism was designed to appeal to (doesn't help there are few professional jobs on this side of town), and many of the older hotels around 192--in Celebration's school district--have become de facto homeless shelters.

RonAnnArbor

Another great area to look at, very close to WDW, is Hunters Creek -- a developed community with shopping, and lots of apartments, condo's and (unfortunately) identical looking houses -- but its a great up and coming community.

By the way, I wouldn't hesitate to live in Celebration -- its still a great community. Lots of Disney locals don't like it, but they don't live there. Its actually, while no longer owned by Disney, FILLED with Disney employees, especially white collar office employees. One of the problems is that people that moved there when they were already in their 40's are STILL THERE -- so there is very little turnover, and it has sort of turned into a retirement community instead of the vital younger professional adult/family community originally envisioned. Its very safe, clean, and well kept up. The high school is thriving and there is a very strong sense of belonging to the community. Its also relatively diverse, although almost exclusively upper middle class no matter what your color, religion, or sexual orientation.

There are some things that have declined...the community theater is no longer there - it didn't have enough support in the community (why would you go see a bad production of Annie when you can see the professional shows across the street or downtown on tour)...and though it was originally envisioned as a park-the-car and walk everywhere community -- everyone drives everywhere. Personally, I would eventually like to relocate here myself, but they aren't very pet-friendly...I have several large dogs, and intend to always have several large dogs, and the only option with those pets is to buy something which I would prefer either condo or apartment or rental house. For that reason alone, I might be heading more toward Hunters Creek.

Zman-ks

Think this survey is way to kind to Florida!
75.gif

Same here...

MOXOMUMD

Is Celebration a safe community to leave in? I guess I mean safe as in do you need three locks on your front door type of not safe?

Stephanie Lebow

I wanted to live in Celebration... I'm really trying to find affordable places to live near Disney. I'm a student at Rosen College on international drive and work at DAK. And I really wanted to live in Celebration.

chachajp

I think Celebration is one of those places that you either love or hate. Some people think it's a little too Truman Show-ish, but it's definitely a very nice and safe community. You will pay a premium to live there. I'd recommend looking at Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Ocoee and Winter Garden as well. All very nice areas and still very close to the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom