Celebration of Harry Potter

tribbleorlfl

Original Poster
Didn't see a thread on it, but I'm just curious for those of you who went to the Celebration of Harry Potter, what did you think?

My son had a blast, and I think the event definitely had a "Star Wars Weekends" vibe. From those we talked to, there was even more to do and see this year than last, so I hope they continue to grow and expand the event.

I give them big-time credit for the Expo and all of the props and costumes on display, something I desperately wish they'd bring to SWW. The paper house ties we're also a nice addition.

That being said, there were a few aspects I hope they'll improve on. My main complaint is the autographs. This was the first year they had autograph sessions w/ the cast members (ala SWW), and the way they executed them was a disaster. There were only 3 sessions (1 w/ Gambon, 1 w/ Lynch and 1 w/ the Phelps twins), with a total of 400 tickets available between them. While we got there in advance of the 7:30 distribution, there were apparently tons of people there as early as 3 am and UO decided to hand out the tickets early. They were obviously long gone before we got there.

I know this is how Disney does the SWW autograph tickets as well, and I hate it. It rewards younger people and those w/o commitments (families, evening jobs, etc) who have the ability to get there and wait there that early. They need to add more autograph sessions and come up with a more equitable distribution system.

Second, for many of the activities that required audience participation (wand "dueling" classes, costume contests at the house meetings), they seemed to have people ready to go instead of picking people from the crowd, and I got the impression these were vip's and UO family members. They might want to involve the plebeans a little more to nonit seem staged.

Finally, the only event merch I saw was a t-shirt, a pin and an art print. Seems like they're missing the boat by not releasing tons of exclusive merch like SWW.

chabs

thanks for the review- always want to go, can't deal with THAT many people!
We went on Saturday and I thought the Expo was well done. I agree that they need more "stuff" to buy because I would have bought more than a mug. Did you go to the celebration Friday night? I was wondering if that is worth booking a package next year or not.

chabs

Didn't see a thread on it, but I'm just curious for those of you who went to the Celebration of Harry Potter, what did you think?

My son had a blast, and I think the event definitely had a "Star Wars Weekends" vibe. From those we talked to, there was even more to do and see this year than last, so I hope they continue to grow and expand the event.

I give them big-time credit for the Expo and all of the props and costumes on display, something I desperately wish they'd bring to SWW. The paper house ties we're also a nice addition.

That being said, there were a few aspects I hope they'll improve on. My main complaint is the autographs. This was the first year they had autograph sessions w/ the cast members (ala SWW), and the way they executed them was a disaster. There were only 3 sessions (1 w/ Gambon, 1 w/ Lynch and 1 w/ the Phelps twins), with a total of 400 tickets available between them. While we got there in advance of the 7:30 distribution, there were apparently tons of people there as early as 3 am and UO decided to hand out the tickets early. They were obviously long gone before we got there.

I know this is how Disney does the SWW autograph tickets as well, and I hate it. It rewards younger people and those w/o commitments (families, evening jobs, etc) who have the ability to get there and wait there that early. They need to add more autograph sessions and come up with a more equitable distribution system.

Second, for many of the activities that required audience participation (wand "dueling" classes, costume contests at the house meetings), they seemed to have people ready to go instead of picking people from the crowd, and I got the impression these were vip's and UO family members. They might want to involve the plebeans a little more to nonit seem staged.

Finally, the only event merch I saw was a t-shirt, a pin and an art print. Seems like they're missing the boat by not releasing tons of exclusive merch like SWW.
I was curious if you booked the package or not? If so, what was the Friday night event?

tribbleorlfl

Original Poster
I was curious if you booked the package or not? If so, what was the Friday night event?
No, they were sold out. I did talk to a few people that did go, and it doesn't sound like I missed much. Light snacks, usual DA offerings. Originally none of the actors were scheduled to appear, but the Phelps twins did show up.

jensenrick

This sounds amazing! I wanted to go SO bad, but i had to work that weekend. I definitely followed all the tweets that Universal tweeted, and it made me super jealous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom