Celebration, FL

1stStarIC2nite

We somehow ended up in Celebration one time when we were driving from the airport to our hotel. We got lost... I mean.. to us it just seemed like the layout was confusing and we just could not find the way out.. it took like 30-45 min :lol:

raven

Originally posted by mccaulej
Well, I've heard from people who have lived there and worked there, that it is an extremely stuffy atmosphere. You rarely see people out talking to their neighbors and enjoying each others company....so I can't really say it for sure, but I have driven and walked around there quite a bit and have never really seen anyone out other than the people downtown. It's kinda scarey actually when you're driving through these neighborhoods and there is no one in sight. Kinda strange....

Well, although it may seem like the Twilight Zone to you, take a look at normal neighborhoods. It's the same. When you live in Celebration you don't HAVE to be out in people's view all the time. It isn't a zoo. People are free to do as they choose just like you and I in our own communities.

But I think that sometimes people expect Celebration to be the perfect Norman Rockwell type of town where the wives are bringing each other cookies, kids are playing on the lawn while the dads are trimming the hedges. I think this would be more spooky than anything. Talk about Twilight Zone. :lookaroun

lebernadin

I think some people have the perception that it will be like the neighborhoods in Pleasantville or Edward Scissorhands; everyone mowing their lawns at the same time and sitting on their porches. But its not a movie set, as much as it looks like one. Its real people who are going about real lives.

We went to a movie there at the AMC one vacation.

A few reasons why i wouldn't buy a house there:

1) The rules.

2) The style houses aren't traditional Floridian they're taken from popular concepts from around the US making them almost odd to see all placed right next to eachother.

3) Price. They want way too much for these. Similar square footage can be had for a fraction of these prices in gated communities all over central Florida.

Corrus, what are the professions of most of your neighbors, if i might ask? Are many Disney execs/imagineers? I know there's a fair amount of industry in that service-laden economy is it mostly from that?

chrisjoi

My wife and I looked at Seaside, Florida (the place where the Tuman Show with Jim Carey was filmed) and decided not to move there due to it being more of a tourist attraction than an actual live in community. I think Celebration probably follows the same pattern with many of the homes owned by absentee owners and hence the deserted feel to the community. Maybe TN will be a better place if people actually live there full-time and not just once or twice a year. Good luck to you!

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
There are a lot of rules at Westhaven too, but probably not as tough as Celebration. From what I understand, Westhaven is drawing some of the music industry. I saw Cletus Judd looking at the model homes. (Die-hard country fans might know who he is :) )

I appreciate the input from everyone. I might take a visit to Celebreation when I am down there in April.

homer424

Originally posted by mccaulej
It's kinda scarey actually when you're driving through these neighborhoods and there is no one in sight. Kinda strange. Not even people out enjoying the Florida air on their porches. But, that's just what I've witnessed and heard.

My grandmother lives in Port St. Lucie, FL and you NEVER see anyone out in her neighborhood-mostly because it is either too hot or they are out back enjoying their pools. Even up here in NJ-it is rare that you drive through a neighborhood and see people outside, even with beautiful weather on the weekend.

We drove through Celebration last trip in May and I have to say I loved it. I have heard long before I visited of all the rules but I don't think I would mind it-especially being that close to WDW. And if we do move there, I will even sit out on my front porch and you can stop by and I will talk to you all you want! LOL (now to just convince my DH)

celticdog

I read a fictional short story in a prominent men's magazine that spoofed Celebration. The story noted that residents had to all have the same color curtains and blinds. They were also forced to choose very specific types of indoor and outdoor furniture.

It may have been a satirical look at homeowners associations, but i have read and seen some stories about fanatical associations. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the rules extended all the way into the bedroom.

WDWhumanmap

i can't truly say anything aganist celebration for fear b/c this is my future home all i can say is that every single time we go to look at housing we look at each other and can't help saying it looks like "the stepford wifes" :lol:
but its true the houses are so perfect everyone is so happy and who wouldn't be you live 2 minutes from wdw and you have to be a disney person to live there i mean its disney's living complex another one of his dreams that became a reality truly i don't think even Walt relized though his dream would cost 250,000- over a half a million dollars to live there though...
one of the builders though at celebration has housing in Winter Garden and its half the price so you go figure and its the same house.

lebernadin

Being "close" to WDW shouldn't be the reason for someone moving to Celebration. There are housing developments scattered all around WDW property lines. They don't have a monopoly of living the closest to WDW by any means. They just have a monopoly on paying the most to do so. :lol:

billybaruch1

Here's a recent news story about Disney's Celebration Co. "negotiating to sell the downtown core." I wonder what this means and whether this is a positive or a negative for the future of Celebration.

Celebration Focuses on Future Without Disney Magic, Rules

CELEBRATION (Orlando Sentinel) - In this town envisioned 30 years ago by Walt Disney, the company that bears his name has decided it's time to go. Disney's master-planned community, with its spacious front porches, pedestrian-friendly layout and music piped through speakers in the trees, was marketed as the real Tomorrowland. Now Disney's development arm, having recently sold the Celebration golf course, is negotiating to sell the downtown core to an undisclosed buyer. The 105,000 square feet of retail space, 105 apartments and 94,000 square feet of office space is on the market because like other developers, The Celebration Co. has no long-term ambition to run a city. Disney always had plans to unload the center city, and the company will still be involved in developing the outer ring of commercial area there. Still, the move marks a symbolic juncture in the history of the ultimate company town. Ten years into the grand experiment, a basic question remains about the place immortalized in thousands of articles and dozens of books and documentaries. Did Celebration deserve all the attention or, despite the hype, is it just another successful development? Yes and yes, said Catherine Collins, who detailed her family's impressions during a two-year stay there in Celebration U.S.A., a book co-written with her husband and former New York Times reporter Douglas Frantz. "Somehow, perhaps by virtue of its very name, Disney made it acceptable to place million-dollar homes next to apartment buildings. It made old-fashioned sidewalks de rigueur," Collins wrote. "However, it takes more than sidewalks to solve today's problems and those who went to Celebration expecting the world to change -- for their marriages to be perfect and their children to get straight As -- were sadly disappointed." Many residents hope the change in ownership will give them more of a voice in what happens in Town Center. Instead of a Fortune 500 company deciding what upscale businesses set up shop, residents figure they will be the ones to show how practical stores are needed and will be embraced. Disney's decision to sever ties to the downtown is the latest chapter in a place with a Truman Show atmosphere that has endured everything from gentle teasing to outright mocking. Most recently, the town was skewered nationally in a satirical send-up in Playboy magazine. Residents, though, are also self-deprecating -- just as they are hopeful. After all, they reason, if a developer is selling its assets, it means the development has arrived. That is also the message from the Celebration Co. "Disney is very much known for its ideas. This one was to inspire community-development standards, and we've certainly been successful at that," company President Perry J. Reader said. "The real result was the people getting involved, and this is the natural transition."

SIR90210

Originally posted by NashvilleMouse
We are excited about living there with all the amenities. Does anyone have any pros or cons of how Celebration turned out?

Thanks!

Well, Celebration has a kind of a restricted feeling, like everything is the same, but Market Street is nice. My favorite planned community is Reston, Virginia which is near where I'm moving next week (I won't be posting until early February). Reston has a nice wooded environment, distinct neighborhoods, a well planned town center, and little sense of restriction. The only issue is the schools, which is why I'm going to the town next door and the preppiest school in America!!!!:fork: :fork:

imagineer99

Re: Re: Celebration, FL

Originally posted by SIR90210
Well, Celebration has a kind of a restricted feeling, like everything is the same, but Market Street is nice. My favorite planned community is Reston, Virginia which is near where I'm moving next week (I won't be posting until early February). Reston has a nice wooded environment, distinct neighborhoods, a well planned town center, and little sense of restriction. The only issue is the schools, which is why I'm going to the town next door and the preppiest school in America!!!!:fork: :fork:

Holy Mackarel! You're moving to Reston? I live like a half hour from there. I also attend GW, which only a half hour away! In fact, last weekend I saw "Big Fish" at the Reston Town center.

We do live in a small world after all!:eek: :)

alice

celebration

i want to live there...when i become a bazillionaire that is.

well i don't think it's that terribly expensive. on the website, http://www.celebrationfl.com/ they said the cute little bungalow homes start in the 260's.
We went during Christmas and enjoyed the soapy snowfall and hot chocolate. oh and we ate at "the upper crust" where we got a HUGE piece of pizza (which we split!) AND a Huge diet coke for under 3 bucks! we almost forgot where we were.
i like that you can walk everywhere and there's not that much traffic, and it seems like a safe place to raise kids. we got a newspaper, seems like a closeknit community, school looks good, etc.
i wanted to see lord of the rings at the celebration movie theater but my boyf didn't want to. i also want a segway.
i'm getting offtrack. i bet the rules aren't that strict, they are just there to protect the look of the town and the property values etc. like you have to keep your lawn kept, and you can't park a mobile home in your front yard etc.

and the number one reason i want to live in celebration.....2 minutes from disneyworld!!!:wave:

NashvilleMouse

Original Poster
Good point, Alice. And rules are there to keep the integrity of the community. I like rules. Mainly because I do not want my neighbor filling up her yard with every plastic figure from Wal-Mart.

I think many people have the wrong impression of what Celebration is. The Urban Development is beginning to get popular again.

Good luck being a bilzzilonare. Look me up if you are that rich! Ha ha ha.

Tim G

Re: celebration

Originally posted by alice
i want to live there...when i become a bazillionaire that is.
well i don't think it's that terribly expensive. on the website, http://www.celebrationfl.com/ they said the cute little bungalow homes start in the 260's.
We went during Christmas and enjoyed the soapy snowfall and hot chocolate. oh and we ate at "the upper crust" where we got a HUGE piece of pizza (which we split!) AND a Huge diet coke for under 3 bucks! we almost forgot where we were.
i like that you can walk everywhere and there's not that much traffic, and it seems like a safe place to raise kids. we got a newspaper, seems like a closeknit community, school looks good, etc.
i wanted to see lord of the rings at the celebration movie theater but my boyf didn't want to. i also want a segway.
i'm getting offtrack. i bet the rules aren't that strict, they are just there to protect the look of the town and the property values etc. like you have to keep your lawn kept, and you can't park a mobile home in your front yard etc.
and the number one reason i want to live in celebration.....2 minutes from disneyworld!!!:wave:
Neither can you park a wreck, wash your car, repair it. on your drive way. etc. etc.
You have choices of a few different plants in a few colors (front yard) at least in East Village.

No furniture that falls apart, on the porch (thank god)... and a couple of 55 rules more.
And yet, it's really not as bad as it seems, most of the rules are made by and for the residents.. or confirmed by.
And we really do know our neigbours... :sohappy:

BTW. Celebration Fl is IMO the only place in Florida where you don't see Disney Merchandise in the shops.
But I don't think just because it's very near to WDW should be the main reason to live here...

So there are no chip implants that turn Celebration Fl. residents into cheerfully complacent Stepford wives. :lol:

We won't leave................ At least not in the very near future...

WDWhumanmap

Originally posted by lebernadin
Being "close" to WDW shouldn't be the reason for someone moving to Celebration. There are housing developments scattered all around WDW property lines. They don't have a monopoly of living the closest to WDW by any means. They just have a monopoly on paying the most to do so. :lol:

well that would be and my families reason to move to celebration because its disney's living property and its close to wdw which we consider a second home and i consider my future job

KevinPage

50% of my reason to move to Florida was being closer to WDW. Then moving and staying in Celebration for the immediate future is due to the closeness of the parks and the feel/look of the town. You can't get anything nearly as nice in the immediate surrounding areas.

Buying a house there is another story as prices are high for what you get. I'd love to be able to, but not fiscally prudent

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom