Celebrating my wife's life

maxgoof

Original Poster
My wife passed away on October 5th after 30 years if wonderful marriage. We honeymoon at Disney World, I always promised I would take her to Disneyland. I will be wearing a small heart with her ashes around my neck, and wanted to know if there was anything special that I should do with the park to honor her life! And before anybody asks, no I will not be spreading her ashes there. She will be staying with me at all times. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever done this, and what they did extra special to celebrate.

mickEblu

My wife passed away on October 5th after 30 years if wonderful marriage. We honeymoon at Disney World, I always promised I would take her to Disneyland. I will be wearing a small heart with her ashes around my neck, and wanted to know if there was anything special that I should do with the park to honor her life! And before anybody asks, no I will not be spreading her ashes there. She will be staying with me at all times. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever done this, and what they did extra special to celebrate.

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. I’ll wait to see your answers to @raven24 questions to give you a better answer but one special thing you can do is go to dinner at the Blue Bayou. Something they don’t have at WDW and is classic DL. Ride all of her favorite rides. Maybe just do all the stuff you would have done together anyway. Man, that’s gotta be tough. I pray that God grants you strength and peace during this difficult time.

Californian Elitist

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. I’ll wait to see your answers to @raven24 questions to give you a better answer but one special thing you can do is go to dinner at the Blue Bayou. Something they don’t have at WDW and is classic DL. Ride all of her favorite rides. Maybe just do all the stuff you would have done together anyway. Man, that’s gotta be tough. I pray that God grants you strength and peace during this difficult time.

Great ideas. I was also thinking OP could possibly pay a Disney tribute to her by doing other Disney-related activities in California besides Disneyland, depending on the response.

Figments Friend

Glad to see this thread here, and see the nice responses so far.
:)

Maxgoof is a good friend of mine, and this has been a difficult time for him.
I have offered to accompany him on this special visit so he wouldn't have be alone during this time, as well as buy his Park admission for the full week we are in town.

We will be there in early January, starting the 8th.
Flight and off-site hotel already booked.
Looking forward to it, as I've yet to have been in California at that time of the year.
This will be the first time Maxgoof has really been able to fully experience everything DLR has to offer, so I'm also looking forward to seeing his enjoyment of it all.

-

maxgoof

Original Poster
I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences to your entire family, and bless you for wanting to do something special like this.

What kinds of things did you and your wife enjoy? Anything Disney-related, with the exception of going to WDW? Maybe we can try and come up with some ideas based on your response.
Her favorite character was Tinkerbell, and we will be having dinner at blue Bayou. I think I will take the advice below and watch day turn to night....

maxgoof

Original Poster
Her favorite character was Tinkerbell, and we will be having dinner at blue Bayou. I think I will take the advice below and watch day turn to night....
We also loved watching Disney shows on Broadway, or other theaters

Californian Elitist

I know this is off topic, but I'd love to go to dinner at the Magic Castle too...

It’s not off topic at all. If you want to do that, you should absolutely look into it!

While we’re at it, what other things are you interested in doing in Southern California? Or California in general?

Figments Friend

Currently looking into doing the Blue Bayou 'Fantasmic!' Dinner Package for one of the nights we will both be in the Park together.
I have never done one of these pricey 'Packages' before in all the years I've been visiting the Parks on either Coast, but my friend MaxGoof is very interested so I've been looking into it.

Since this is a special visit, it seems appropriate to do something ....well, special!
The guaranteed close viewing of the Show is the main appeal, and since we planned on dining at Blue Bayou anyway it seemed a good fit.
I've already told him how superior Disneyland's 'Fantasmic!' experience is compared to the version that runs at WDW, so seeing the show from a good angle is a 'must do' for him.

-

Mouse Trap

Currently looking into doing the Blue Bayou 'Fantasmic!' Dinner Package for one of the nights we will both be in the Park together.
I have never done one of these pricey 'Packages' before in all the years I've been visiting the Parks on either Coast, but my friend MaxGoof is very interested so I've been looking into it.

Since this is a special visit, it seems appropriate to do something ....well, special!
The guaranteed close viewing of the Show is the main appeal, and since we planned on dining at Blue Bayou anyway it seemed a good fit.
I've already told him how superior Disneyland's 'Fantasmic!' experience is compared to the version that runs at WDW, so seeing the show from a good angle is a 'must do' for him.

-

It's well worth the money spent.

mickEblu

-

Blue Bayou is definitely a must Do and you may as well take advantage of the dining package. I must say though I wasn’t crazy about the Fantasmic viewing section that comes with the Blue Bayou package. You re sitting on the ground with the ROA fence obstructing your view. I found it a little annoying but I was right up against the water/ fence dead center. I’m not sure if they allow you to stand anywhere in that section but you may want to find out.

Also, be sure to request a table on the water for Blue Bayou early afternoon/ morning (or whenever they open) the day of your reservation. Tell them it’s for a special occasion and they should be able to make it happen.

Lastly, you sound like a great friend bud.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Thanks gang for your thoughts on the matter.
I've researched the package and we are definately including it if it's available during the dates I will be looking at in a week or so when the time comes to reserve.

I have dined at Blue Bayou in the past , twice over the last ten years, and both times the food and the experience I felt were worth the expense for a 'special occasion'.
This will work for us, exspecially since we were planning on dining there anyway.

I know what you mean about the RoA railings being right in front of you and possibly 'blocking' your paid for view in that reserved section.
I don't think this will effect us too badly as my friend MaxGoof will likely be using a ECV that day and we will be towards the back of that section anyway because of his cart.
So the sight lines should be very nice from that area.

My favorite spot, when I've been at the Park alone, is up on the pedestrian walkway bridge located above the entrance area of POTC.
The middle area, right past the large tree, is a epic spot for photography and observing all of the show in full with no one in front of you.
The fence line is roped off for viewing, and about 30 minutes before the show stars Cast begin allowing Guests to stand along the railings giving you a raised, 'front row' spot.
I've stood there many times and it's a great spot that is not difficult at all to secure, even 20 mins before showtime on a busy night.
I think the large tree scares viewers away...but knowing the sight lines already, it clears a nice path.
Great spot for a good view of the Maleficent dragon.

-

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Latest update on the plans afoot...

My friend ' MaxGoof ' has expressed an interest in spending one of the days he will be in town at Knott's Berry Farm.
I'm intrigued...and I think it's great he has a interest in checking it out.
Neither of us have ever been, but I have certainly heard a lot about Knott's over the last ten years or so.

I am aware of it's local history and two of its most famous Attractions thanks largely in part to my awareness of Tony Baxter's past history there and his continuing enthusiasm for the Park.
So naturally I'm interested in checking it out for myself since Tony has recommended it.
MaxGoof I think will enjoy expanding his experience a bit beyond the 'Disney berm' ....which I highly encourage in California!

Any recommendations for 'must do' Attractions, shows, and eats?
I am aware of the basics...and the 'headliners'....but hearing some suggestions that might slide under the radar would be great.
It's those 'little things' that often turn out to be the big deal in the end.

-

Figments Friend

I hope you both have a great trip and it is so sweet of you to do. The best themed rides in Knotts are the Calico Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, and Iron Reef. The Indian Lodge has a show with some cool special effects. The rest is more for the roller coaster type crowd.

Thank you!

The two Calico attractions are must dos for sure, as those are the two I'm familiar with and have heard so much about of the years.
My friend is also interested in the 'Peanuts' themed area and live stage show, if those are still operating.
If we do end up going, I will definitely check out the Indian Lodge show.
We are both keen on live entertainment.

That is one of the highlights of the trip he is most looking forward to at Disneyland - experiencing the excellent roster of live performances in and around the Parks.

He is a 'coaster fan' while I am a bit more timid in that department, so he will likely enjoy their offerings.
I appreciate the suggestions!

-

Figments Friend

Quick question for anyone that may know or have connections to find out -
Who is currently appearing at the Plaza Inn Restaurant character breakfast...?

My friend is a HUGE Max / 'A Goofy Movie ' fan and if the character is still appearing he would be thrilled to see him!
I had heard Max used to appear there often, but then vaugely recall a year or two ago hearing that Max had been removed from the lineup or is just not appearing as often in rotation.

I recall a short time ago Minnie Mouse, Max, Rafiki, and a few other characters were being featured at the breakfast buffet...but I have not been able to find out who is currently appearing.

Any insight on the current situation would be appreciated.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom