Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Horizons!!!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
Disney posted a new T-Shirt available online today:

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-p...MP=DTPM-CMR&att=PARKS_Horizons_Flash_Facebook

:mad:

So, let me get my venting done here, because it's kinda filled me with a special kind of rage.

This T-shirt is a slap in the face to anyone who loved EPCOT in it's glory years. Why would we want to celebrate the anniversary of something that DIDN'T MAKE IT TO IT'S ANNIVERSARY. As I said elsewhere, if I'm married, and I decide to get a divorce, I do not get to continue to celebrate my anniversary!

What other attractions should we start celebrating random anniversaries for? Toad? 20k? WoM? River Country "Celebrating 12 years of neglect and rot!"

Sorry, please feel free to join in and discuss if you feel strongly on one side or another of this.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I went to the link before I read your post and had essentially the same thought process. Mine was a bit more simple though - "I'm not giving you money for an attraction I can no longer enjoy, (insert insulting nickname preceded by the inappropriate adjective of your choice)." What a bunch of crap. Plus, look at the specificity of the shirts. One for each ending. They KNOW a lot of people loved that attraction. It makes it worse.

ptaylor

Premium Member
This is how much the company loved Horizons. How sickening that they are trying to turn Horizons into a money maker after they demolished it. Hardly an anniversary.

Horizons_Full_776.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
After they run out of apparel ideas for the anniversaries of defunct rides, they'll have us buying things for rides that were never built. I've already pre-ordered my Western River Expedition thong and my good version of Kali River Rapids socks.

I guess in some respects, look at the love out there for the Hat Box Ghost, a character they killed after days of use. Didn't Disney sell some merch based on 'ol Hattie?

Seriously. Let's all celebrate the anniversary (by sending money to Disney) of an attraction that they deemed not good enough to make it to said anniversary.

Likewise, I'm going to start a line of T-shirts over at Cafe Press of "Rest In Peace" shirts for rides that STILL exist, but shouldn't. I'm starting with the obvious, "RIP - Stitch's Great Escape - 2004 - 2014" and then expanding from there.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Original Poster
OK, I give up. WDW is the worst place in the world....leaving now.
Oh, I don't believe WDW is the worst place in the world. Not even close. I just had a glorious time there for the last week and a half.

I do find it a little shady though that Disney is trying to make a buck off of a rather beloved attraction that they purposely killed. I guess it's just bitterness on my part, as they took my favorite ride in my favorite park, demolished said ride, gutted said park, and now are offering up a 30th anniversary shirt for something that lasted 16 years.

Here you go:

I was actually going to link to @marni1971 video to prove that watching something on YouTube is in no way like experiencing it in real life.

As great as that video is, it's nothing compared to experiencing the actual ride.

Oddysey

If they had just made the t-shirt with the robot and the Horizons sign, and left off the 30 years reference I would be more likely to purchase it. In my opinion, without the 30 year reference it is no longer insulting, and is a nice t-shirt that evokes a little nostalgia.

Last edited:

ABQ

Well, I'm going to take a pile of heat for this, but if they wanted some realism on a T-Shirt, they could show a row of ride vehicles from Horizons with maybe 2 out of 10 with any riders on it.
Sadly, not unlike the current incarnation of Journey into the Imagination, Horizons was sadly under appreciated in the end and grossly under attended and had to be replaced. No, I'm not commenting on what has replaced it as it's nothing visionary like Horizons was, but to pretend that these long lost rides were so epic, so enlightening and so enjoyable that they were a must see for each and every visitor to the parks just does not appear to be supported by reality. Like Mermaid today, they were all walk ons in the end. Had Compaq, now HP not invested in Mission:Space, we'd probably be discussing the two side by side shuttered attractions in WOL and Horizons, because it wasn't generating any worthy interest at all. I too miss the attraction, as I miss Cranium Command and more, but it needed thousands of more passengers by its gate than it was getting.

Last edited:

Oddysey

Well, I'm going to take a pile of heat for this, but if they wanted some realism on a T-Shirt, they could show a row of ride vehicles from Horizons with maybe 2 out of 10 with any riders on it.
Sadly, not unlike the current incarnation of Journey into the Imagination, Horizons was sadly under appreciated in the end and grossly under attended and had to be replaced. No, I'm not commenting on what has replaced it as it's nothing visionary like Horizons was, but to pretend that these long lost rides were so epic, so enlightening and so enjoyable that they were a must see for each and every visitor to the parks just does not appear to be supported by reality. Like Mermaid today, they were all walk ons. Had Compaq, now HP not invested in Mission:Space, we'd probably be discussing the two side by side shuttered attractions in WOL and Horizons, because it wasn't generating any worthy interest at all. I too miss the attraction, as I miss Cranium Command and more, but it needed thousands of more passengers by its gate than it was getting.

This is Disney sacriledge! :mad:

J/K...well kind of

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom