CBR vs. Pop Century

dmatt87

Original Poster
Hi folks!

We are booked for a 6 nights stay at CBR this May - and we are extremely pleased with our choice. However, since we are coming in from Canada, the exchange rate really kills us on pricing.

I started to look at other options and was considering maybe switching to Pop Century, I would save about 450$ for the trip. However, I'm worried that double beds might not be a good choice for me and my wife to share for 6 nights, we are already on top of each other in a queen size, and DS4 will of course have the other bed.

Also, we are afraid that having a stroller will be a tad more complicated since there are more than 2 stories to the buildings.

Is the 450$ discount worth the switch, or should I stay put?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The buildings in Pop Century have elevators, so if you don't have a ground floor room you won't have to carry the stroller up steps, like you will if you have a second floor room at CBR.

Pop has only one bus stop; CBR has multiple stops.

CBR does have the larger queen beds and two sinks in the bathroom, whereas Pop only has one sink.

CBR has a great themed pool and a slide; Pop has no slide but a nice splash area for little kids.

Only you can decide if you should keep your CBR or save and switch to Pop. Two adults in a double bed is very cozy...perhaps you can take turns sleeping with your son?

CaptainAmerica

Stay put. I firmly believe that most of the meltdowns people see on WDW vacations is due to poor sleeping habits. If you think the full bed will jeopardize a good night's sleep, it's not worth any amount of money because everyone will be cranky the whole time.

Spectro

If it were me I would stick with cbr it's a gorgeous resort. I tried Pop c when it first opened and found it a little too compact, concrete and claustrophobic so changed to cbr. That just my personal,opinion others may love it.

dmatt87

Original Poster
Stay put. I firmly believe that most of the meltdowns people see on WDW vacations is due to poor sleeping habits. If you think the full bed will jeopardize a good night's sleep, it's not worth any amount of money because everyone will be cranky the whole time.
My DW can be a little cranky without a good night's sleep - can't imagine after 3 or 4 bad nights ;)

If it were me I would stick with cbr it's a gorgeous resort. I tried Pop c when it first opened and found it a little too compact, concrete and claustrophobic so changed to cbr. That just my personal,opinion others may love it.
This is what I was worried about as well. I think the openness of CBR will be worth the extra dollars!

daisyduckie

I'm not a huge fan of CBR. It is very large so unless you have a preferred room or a car, it is a bit of a walk to the main buildings-- food court, gift shop, and feature pool. Oh, and there are no elevators at CBR so you may be stuck having to haul your stroller up stairs.

Have you given any thought to putting the 4 year old on an air mattress? They make some neat child ones.

JillC LI

Stayed at both. Enjoyed both. CBR is a bit more upscale on the issues described by others above. Only you can decide its worth.

DreamalittleDisney

Take note new construction dates at CBT.

We went last year and stayed at CBR our 3yo got the fold down bed but that's only in some rooms.

Had stroller which sat folded next to the door was a bit of a handful if leaving by yourself as was on 2nd floor sontoddler holding hand whilst lifting stroller ha!

CBR pool area and park great as was the beach area.. think it mat have helped calm down the hyper feel from the parks !

Due to costing and refurb on CBR I am looking at POP and the value for next year.. may upgrade if promo comes on though...

BigRedDad

I am all for saving money. If it were me, I could solve this easily. Go to PC. DW gets one bed, you get the other, and DS gets a blow up mattress on the floor. My daughter loved sleeping on a blowup mattress.

KrzyKtty

Take note that CBR's restaurant, bar, marketplace, and Main food court will be closed starting May. They will have some sort of breakfast and Dinner offered in Centertown, no mention of lunch. I think they may rely on Food Trucks from what I heard from other people on this board. Not sure if that will have an impact for you.

dmatt87

Original Poster
Take note that CBR's restaurant, bar, marketplace, and Main food court will be closed starting May. They will have some sort of breakfast and Dinner offered in Centertown, no mention of lunch. I think they may rely on Food Trucks from what I heard from other people on this board. Not sure if that will have an impact for you.
That's what I heard as well, and Disney confirm when I called.

I didn't take any chances, I got them to switch me to POR and keep the same pricing. We are very happy with the change!

Jess G

When hubby and I stayed at pop we slept in separate beds... lol. They were just to small for us. Always remember that you can request a king bed at a value for no extra cost. My request was not granted at pop but when we switched over to AoA my request for a king bed was granted there, which made the world of a difference.

thomas998

I'm not a huge fan of CBR. It is very large so unless you have a preferred room or a car, it is a bit of a walk to the main buildings-- food court, gift shop, and feature pool. Oh, and there are no elevators at CBR so you may be stuck having to haul your stroller up stairs.

Have you given any thought to putting the 4 year old on an air mattress? They make some neat child ones.
I'm a fan of the CBR but you do need a car if you plan on using the place for anything beyond a place to sleep. You can end up with what seemed like a half mile or more walk to get to the main guest area with food/drink/etc... That said I would never drop to the Pop from the CBR... If money is an issue I would go to an offsite hotel before doing a Pop... To me the pops are insanely expensive for what I consider to be the equivalent of a Motel 6 with Mickey on the door.

monykalyn

Disney is offering $75 gift card per night/per room for those staying at CBR now. Not sure how long it will last but could be an incentive...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom