Castle Rehab??

AdLibSean

Original Poster
Hey everyone! A horrible nightmare the other night just made think of this question... how often do they rehab (paint, whatever) Cinderella Castle? I know it probably gets painted every year, but I've never heard of or seen scafolds being built. Because its such an icon, I guess they never do this, thankfully. Anyway, my nightmare was that we got to MK and half the castle was taken apart and it had a ton of scaffolds around it. It was so depressing. Also, is it just me, or did the castle used to be a white-ish color back in the early 70's instead of the gray color we have today?

disneyfan123

hey

OMG What a horrible nightmare. Did you visit when it was the 25th birthday of The Magic Kingdom!? That pink birthday cake took a while to get used to....it was fun though!!!

*only 78 days to go*
:lol: :sohappy: :p

Tom Morrow

I have seen the Castle under rehab.. it had a big crane over it, the same way they did Tower of Terror when they repainted the building. It kind of spoils the look of the castle seeing a crane over it in plain sight.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
That was a horrible nightmare!:lol: I also want to say that I think the castle did used to be whiter. I have absolutely NO CLUE but I think that if they repainted it, it would be because the white constantly show how dirty something is. For example, my mom hounds me about not getting a white car when I'm old enough to drive because you have to go and get it cleaned so much. Just my two cents.

JPVonDrake

I don't know how often it normally gets overall painted, but I do remember the castle was shades of gray upto just before the Castle Cake, and after the anniversary it was repainted in its current shades of tan/brown. Hopes this helps!:p

Yes I'm a newbie, but would like to become a regular! This board is great!
:zipit:

Colin

When I first saw the pink castle for the 25 year anniversery, I thought, gees what happened. I suppose it just grew on us. I liked it so much after that, I had a cake made for my wifes 40th birthday. She absolutely loved the cake.

orlandoparks

Originally posted by Colin
When I first saw the pink castle for the 25 year anniversery, I thought, gees what happened. I suppose it just grew on us. I liked it so much after that, I had a cake made for my wifes 40th birthday. She absolutely loved the cake.

:lol: Awsome cake :lol:

s25843

Originally posted by Mr Disney
That was a horrible nightmare!:lol: I also want to say that I think the castle did used to be whiter. I have absolutely NO CLUE but I think that if they repainted it, it would be because the white constantly show how dirty something is. For example, my mom hounds me about not getting a white car when I'm old enough to drive because you have to go and get it cleaned so much. Just my two cents.

No WHite really dosent show the dirt as much as you would think it does......
I had a Black Lexus, and that thing awalys used to look filthy
Now i have a silver and it shows hardly any dirt

DisJosh

Cinderelas Castle is white? Or tan or whatever you guys said?? :veryconfu

I always thought it was a shade of greyish blue...

When I was there for the 25th anniversary the cake had probs. and they had the moat drained and a crane fixing the castle. took away from the look of the castle cake

ToTBellHop

Okay. Here's the scoop on Cinderella Castle's paint job. When it was originally built, due to budget cuts, it didn't get the detail work it deserved, so it was paler and had no big changes in color from brick to brick. However, after the 25th Anniversary ended, disney decided to invest a lot of money into their castle. So, they installed those lights that change color at night which everyone loves...incredible effect. And they did the detail work on the castle they had wanted all the time. Thus, now, no two adjacent bricks are the same color and you end up with white, gray, silver, light blue, and darker blue bricks that together give the castle its light blue/gray color whereas it didn't used to have the blue tint. They used some really kewl paint, however...that's why they can shine lights on it and make it whatever color they want without any blue tinting to the color...they did a nice job!

grimgringhost

Ughh, i have to disagree with some of you guys, I absolutley HATED the castle cake. It took away from the magic of being in Disney World for me, but hey, that's just my opinion. :hammer:

Erika

Originally posted by grimgringhost
Ughh, i have to disagree with some of you guys, I absolutley HATED the castle cake. It took away from the magic of being in Disney World for me, but hey, that's just my opinion. :hammer:

I hated it too. DON'T MESS WITH MY CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fork:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
i've seen the castle with a Crane and scaffolding on it.

It isn't pretty.. especially when done during the day...

cm1988

Your cake was better!

Originally posted by Colin
[B... I had a cake made for my wifes 40th birthday. She absolutely loved the cake. [/B]
What an awesome birthday cake! Looks better than the models of the "real thing" that graced the MK for 18 months.

Cast Members may have wearied of it, but the 25 anniversary cake seemed to be a hit with the guests. Just about everyone entering the park froze in their steps as they first looked down Main St. Many smiles; many pictures taken.

However it was great to see the candy and icing taken down after so long, and the new paint job (followed by new lighting system) done.

As far as I know, the original paint job lasted until the 25th anniversary (though that seems hard to believe). But in any event, I wouldn't expect to see one this year, just 6 years after it was repainted from pink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom