Castle Redo's

jmani56

Original Poster
This may be a crazy question, but with other Disney parks around the world getting amazing castles (particularly the new one in Shanghai), do you think they would ever redo the ones in WDW and DL? I can't imagine those parks being castle-less while new ones are constructed, but I think it will eventually become very odd that domestic flagship parks have castles that the world recognizes as both small and obsolete in comparison. What do you think?

MarkTwain

Doubtful. Disneyland's just got a ton of work done in 2008 to add/reopen a nice walkthrough attraction (scroll to bottom here), but that utilized just about all of the small castle's remaining interior space. So short of demo-ing Sleeping Beauty Castle :)lookaroun), no new additions there.

Cinderella Castle may have more possibilities, but is still relatively built out on the interior between its shop, dress-up boutique, tunnel with mural, restaurant on the second floor and reception area on the first, the dream suite, and the tower used for Tinker Bell's flight. Any additional space would probably take significant amounts of re-enforcing for new construction and moving structural elements around, considering none of the rest of the castle was ever meant for public use. I can only imagine how many steel supports and trusses are in the main body of the castle to hold it up.

As for building new castles completely, we see people howl when a construction crane goes up behind a castle for one or two weeks a year, for putting up the Dreamlights. I can't imagine how people would feel about visiting the MK at anytime during a 2-3 year period when there wasn't a castle at all. Not to mention the debate that would entail over tearing down such historic and iconic structures.

wolf359

Even though it is something most of us will only see in videos and photos, the Dream Suite is probably the fullest extent of additions or upgrades possible to Cinderella Castle. Due to its popularity and incredible revenue I can't even see Cinderella's Royal Table ever getting a lengthy overhaul or update.

ChristianG

I would love to see Cinderella's castle with another gold overhaul like the one they did for The Happiest Celebration on Earth, except for the characters and the mirror. While a nice effect, the mirror looked unfitting.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
It's an interesting idea but I agree, there's no way they're going to do anything that would ever require them to completely demolish and rebuild the resorts' icons.

Could you imagine the negative press the day they brought in the wrecking ball? "Cinderella Castle Razed!" The Slantinel would surely run a photo of a cute little girl in a Cinderella dress crying while she watched the castle get torn down. It would be a PR disaster.

Prototype82

You can't rework a park's icon and you certainly can't demolish it completely. There would be a ginormous negative response... You can refurb or even add elements like they did by adding the wand to Spaceship Earth; but we all know how horrible that thing was. Best thing to do is to leave the icons as they are.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is absolutely no chance of Cinderella Castle getting demolished and rebuilt. They would never take the chance of setting off one of those missiles.

pumpkin7

i doubt they would ever touch Sleeping Beauty Castle much, aside from a few paint jobs. it's walt's baby. they'd certainly never demolish it and rebuild it, and the same with Cinderella Castle. i think after what they did to it for the 25th anniversary, they know not to mess with it. also, Cinderella Castle is an iconic figure. most people know the castle outline and it's image. show most people a picture of Cinerella Castle and they know it means Disney.

BigTxEars

Those other countries can have their new fangled fancy pants castles, I like the current one just fine. I enjoy the history of it and that to me is worth more than anything they can build :wave:

Kirk88

I agree with not touching the icons. Let the overseas parks get all sparkly and shiny. Folks flock from all over the world to visit WDW & DL. How many folks actually head to the overseas parks when they plan a Disney vacation? I'm not knockin' 'em, I'm just sayin'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom