Castle Question

AndyS2992

Original Poster
Is there a reason why the castle still has 60th anniversary 'diamonds' stuck on the turrets? It's not a good look at all. What are they trying to achieve with this?
DGbtB2yUMAArLYN.jpg:large

But then again it's not as bad as Disneyland Paris having their Christmas lights up for three years straight without removal :banghead: They aren't even in use for anything.

P1280017-768x1024.jpg

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The castle roofs suffered some sort of damage and need refurbishment. So the Diamond covered faux roofs will be in place until that time comes.

I don't think I've ever seen the Disneyland Paris castle in person without those lights on it now that I think about it. Do they use them for Disney Illuminations?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The castle roofs suffered some sort of damage and need refurbishment. So the Diamond covered faux roofs will be in place until that time comes.

I don't think I've ever seen the Disneyland Paris castle in person without those lights on it now that I think about it. Do they use them for Disney Illuminations?

I have no idea about the Disneyland castle, I heard the information about there being damage when they were trying to remove it. But as for Disneyland Paris when I was there 3 summers ago the Christmas lights were on the castle and they were used for a special Frozen thing at night and during the night time show which was Dreams at the time.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Is there a reason why the castle still has 60th anniversary 'diamonds' stuck on the turrets? It's not a good look at all. What are they trying to achieve with this?
DGbtB2yUMAArLYN.jpg:large

But then again it's not as bad as Disneyland Paris having their Christmas lights up for three years straight without removal :banghead: They aren't even in use for anything.

P1280017-768x1024.jpg

the light rigs at Disneyland Paris were still on when I was there for the 25th in April this year, but they had been removed when I was back again over Memorial Day weekend in late May.

AndyS2992

Original Poster

Makes sense.

They are not used for Illuminations as far as I can tell. They were kept up last year and the year before that for Frozen Summer Fun but that hasn't happened this summer due to the 25th Anniversary stuff but the lights were still up when I was there in April.

the light rigs at Disneyland Paris were still on when I was there for the 25th in April this year, but they had been removed when I was back again over Memorial Day weekend in late May.
Seriously? That's great news, haven't seen the castle without them for a long time. Unfortnately my next trip is in November when they will be back up again :arghh:

donsullivan

Premium Member

Attachments

• D8X_2158.jpg
    D8X_2158.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 31

AndyS2992

Original Poster
Yup,

This was taken on April 12, 2017
Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant by Don Sullivan, on Flickr

Taken May 26, 2017 (super quick edit and didn't take the time to fix the color so it matched)
View attachment 221328
Wow, your pictures are beautiful. Comparing them side by side like that, I'm happy the lights have finally gone but I think the darker blue shade the lights give the turrets actually looks better than the lighter blue colour they actually are o_O

donsullivan

Premium Member
Wow, your pictures are beautiful. Comparing them side by side like that, I'm happy the lights have finally gone but I think the darker blue shade the lights give the turrets actually looks better than the lighter blue colour they actually are o_O

Ignore the colors in the second photo. It was a quick edit and I didn't spend any time fixing the colors. The way I take them, they come out of the camera very flat in color and I didn't do anything to get them up to reflect reality. In real life they actually look the same deep color tone with the rich pink. I was there back on opening day in '92 and when I was back this spring it looked just like it did back at the opening. The castle looks spectacular right now.

nevol

Don't come after me with pitch forks; I'd love to see this castle in Anaheim! A mirror image of the bottom half so that the hill topography bleeds toward the Matterhorn without altering Fantasy Faire or whatever they are calling it!

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Don't come after me with pitch forks; I'd love to see this castle in Anaheim! A mirror image of the bottom half so that the hill topography bleeds toward the Matterhorn without altering Fantasy Faire or whatever they are calling it!
I don't disagree that this is the most beautiful of the 4 castle designs they've done (5 soon when Hong Kong gets rebuilt). However cool it would be, I cannot see any scenario where Disney would ever replace the original.

D

Deleted member 107043

I know I'm putting my life at risk by saying this here, but Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle is too small IMO. It doesn't necessarily need to be as grand or as big as the others, but I wouldn't be mad it if they altered it to make it significantly taller.

nevol

I don't disagree that this is the most beautiful of the 4 castle designs they've done (5 soon when Hong Kong gets rebuilt). However cool it would be, I cannot see any scenario where Disney would ever replace the original.

I agree. The problem is that the longer it remains, the harder it is to replace. New generations become attached. Its redeeming quality for being anticlimactic, and severely damaged, is that walt walked through it. There are historical images and video of it, as well as memories associated with it. It works nicely with Main Street. And it is odd that I am okay with replacing the castle but not with replacing main street, NOS, or the inner areas of Baxter's fantasyland, framed by casey jr at the north and the castle to the south. But even in the hub, viewing is severely obstructed. Disneyland's hub is very different from its successors. Not only is the castle smaller but the tree growth is grander. The successors have castles twice as tall and far less trees competing with it. My defenses of change are simple, but controversial; if it is to be every man's castle, it can't be, if it is hardly visible. Crowd flow is such that the castle bridge eventually won't be able to handle crowds. And finally, how sacred is it, if the Vatican/St. Peter's was rebuilt entirely and added onto several times in history? Is it more sacred than Vatican City? I don't trust WDI or their subcontractors in 2017 to be careful in the design of a new castle, as HK's extension concept art and Shanghai's are really lacking craft. DL Paris was the height of contemporary Imagineering, before the financial troubles of that resort ushered in the era of reckless abandonment of institutional knowledge.

nevol

I did a little google map scaling and sleuthing and found that the DLP castle could fit in anaheim, but the bridge toward it would have to be altered, or the way it interfaces fantasyland so as not to cut into the shops next to the dark rides. The bridge as is would hit the hub, cutting through the compass. Overall, the castles aren't that much bigger than anaheim's in footprint. It is just the height, where our tallest spire is hitting where the roofs of their ground-level turrets and spires are hitting before radical downscaling/forced perspective. I can't remember why I decided upon this, but a downscaling of DLP's castle to 92% of itself would fit in anaheim comfortably. That would put it at 144 feet? Something like that? This was a few months ago. Not committed to it being as curvy as DLP's castle. Could maybe achieve enough of the original castle's right angles and linear spires while capturing enough of DLP's silhouette, height, hillside location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom