Castaway Cay: Excursion or Chill Out??

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
Hi Folks :wave:

So what do ye prefer doing at Castaway Cay??

Do you go there hoping to do a Port Adventure??

Or

Do you prefer to just kick back and enjoy this paradise??

StageFrenzy

We like to head out early, stake out the beach and chill. We usually head back to the ship around lunch and enjoy a lighter crowd.

Another fun thing to do is sit up at cabanas and watch people get sucked into the vortex of the boat rental area

TheVortex.jpg

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
We like to head out early, stake out the beach and chill. We usually head back to the ship around lunch and enjoy a lighter crowd.

Another fun thing to do is sit up at cabanas and watch people get sucked into the vortex of the boat rental area

TheVortex.jpg

Castaway Cay looks AMAZING!

Is the Flying Dutchman from POTC still there???

Disneyfalcon

Run. And avoid dirt. Lol!

:lol:

Is the Flying Dutchman from POTC still there???

Sadly, no.

We snorkel there a lot. I love snorkeling, especially when I know there are no large predators that could be sneaking up on me. :lookaroun

We have also played volleyball, soccer, played at the games pavilion, rode bikes, done nothing, and the list goes on.

It's one of my favorite places to be on this earth.:)

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
:lol:

Sadly, no.

We snorkel there a lot. I love snorkeling, especially when I know there are no large predators that could be sneaking up on me. :lookaroun

We have also played volleyball, soccer, played at the games pavilion, rode bikes, done nothing, and the list goes on.

It's one of my favorite places to be on this earth.:)

Aww! Why was it removed??

I bet it is! Anyone I talked to on my last cruise swore it is their Fave stop!!

sweetpee_1993

Not a fan?

Hatred of beach carries over to here??

It's not that I hate the beach, per se. It's the sticky water and the sand that gets into places you didn't know you had. Ew. Plus, when we were there last September it was hot as Hades! So just getting to a beach had me sweating buckets which causes the sand to feel that much stickier. Double ew.

Tracey & I were just discussing this. Not sure if we'll book excursions for CC. We want to go snorkeling for sure and I want to go to Pelican Plunge. Neither of those require an excursion booking and it'd be cheaper if you don't do it that way. I *think* I might go for the run again. Not sure. I want to try eating at Cookies since we didn't do that last time either. I noticed on our last trip that there was a mass exodus from the ship in the morning. It seemed like the pool decks were back to insanely crowded by 2 - 3. Sitting on our balcony looking back at the island and people-beaches we noted in the later afternoon that they almost looked deserted. I'm thinking I'd like to get out on the beach to do the island stuff I want to do as soon as the gangways open, spend a few hours, grab a quick lunch, return to the ship for a cool-down and long nap, then return to the beaches/island for those final couple hours. That's just me. I try to avoid crowds like the plague, don't do prolonged heat, and laying on a beach for any length of time would be sheer misery. That's just me. I can plan creatively around all that, tho. :cool:

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
It's not that I hate the beach, per se. It's the sticky water and the sand that gets into places you didn't know you had. Ew. Plus, when we were there last September it was hot as Hades! So just getting to a beach had me sweating buckets which causes the sand to feel that much stickier. Double ew.

Tracey & I were just discussing this. Not sure if we'll book excursions for CC. We want to go snorkeling for sure and I want to go to Pelican Plunge. Neither of those require an excursion booking and it'd be cheaper if you don't do it that way. I *think* I might go for the run again. Not sure. I want to try eating at Cookies since we didn't do that last time either. I noticed on our last trip that there was a mass exodus from the ship in the morning. It seemed like the pool decks were back to insanely crowded by 2 - 3. Sitting on our balcony looking back at the island and people-beaches we noted in the later afternoon that they almost looked deserted. I'm thinking I'd like to get out on the beach to do the island stuff I want to do as soon as the gangways open, spend a few hours, grab a quick lunch, return to the ship for a cool-down and long nap, then return to the beaches/island for those final couple hours. That's just me. I try to avoid crowds like the plague, don't do prolonged heat, and laying on a beach for any length of time would be sheer misery. That's just me. I can plan creatively around all that, tho. :cool:

Oh I see where you are coming from!

I can't wait to see it!

You mention going back for the last few hours, how long do the ships dock at Castaway Cay??

RobnRachal

First time at Castaway Cay we just chilled.....:cool:
This time we rode bikes (a promise to my 12 year old) gotta say I was really glad we did. Not something we would do every time but definitely not expensive and worth doing at least once.

BelleofDE

Ah that's a shame musts been great to see it :brick:

It was pretty awesome to see it sitting there in the surf. Depending on the angle you were looking at it you could totally tell it was built as a prop and not a real ship. It is disappointing it is not there anymore. Maybe with all the profit they made from the films they should build one to put there that will stand up to weathering.

ChuckElias

We do a little of each at Castaway Cay. My daughter really just loves to lay in a hammock. But we usually do one activity while we're there.

In the past, we've snorkeled. My daughter loved it so much, that we've bought our own snorkel gear and take it with us on the ship.

I always rent a bike for an hour, sometimes by myself, sometimes somebody else will want to join me.

Last time, I talked my daughter into doing a jet-ski with me. She said it was "the most terrifying fun thing" she's ever done. So my guess is that we'll do that again at some point.

And next time, I've talked myself into doing the 5k morning run. I'm not a runner, but I'm in pretty good shape and I think it would be really cool to see the island early.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My perfect day at Castaway Cay.....Head straight to the snorkel lagoon. Get out for lunch. Return to the snorkel lagoon. Get out when they tell me the boat is going to leave without me.:D

LoriSue

We went on the snorkel excursion and I'll definitely do that again. Not so many fish in the snorkel areas on Castaway Cay. Also, the first time we did not go to Serenity Bay. Won't be making that mistake again. I'm pretty sure it was the setting for more than one Jimmy Buffett song

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom