Castaway Cay Activites

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Do I get any benefit from prepaying before we leave for things like the slides etc or is it better to just see how the weather is the day we get to the island buy packages onsite.

EOD K9

Do I get any benefit from prepaying before we leave for things like the slides etc or is it better to just see how the weather is the day we get to the island buy packages onsite.
Slides are free. I prepaid the bike and snorkel package on my first cruise, but there are so many bikes, tubes, and snorkels that I found it unnecessary. Excursions that fill up fast like parasailing and fishing should be booked ahead of time.

LSLS

If you have some room, buying snorkles at like walmart is much cheaper than renting at Castaway (and it is free to go around the snorkling area, you just pay for the gear). Personally I always wait (and I actually don't think we've done much that cost anything there). The benefit is some things can sell out (things like the glass bottom boat), so you guarantee your spot.

jeffnheather

We prepaid for the bike/tube/snorkel package but only used the bikes. As others have said, there were TONS of bikes available, so there isn't a concern about them running out of those. I am just an over-planner, so I didn't want to have to worry about taking care of anything extra on the island. Just had my 'tickets' for the items, went to the place, signed the waivers, and got the bikes.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
If you have some room, buying snorkles at like walmart is much cheaper than renting at Castaway (and it is free to go around the snorkling area, you just pay for the gear). Personally I always wait (and I actually don't think we've done much that cost anything there). The benefit is some things can sell out (things like the glass bottom boat), so you guarantee your spot.
Yeah we have some gear at home, but I hate packing the flippers but if we have to wear life jacket. Maybe i dont need those?

EOD K9

Yeah we have some gear at home, but I hate packing the flippers but if we have to wear life jacket. Maybe i dont need those?
I bought TREK snorkel fins for my last trip. They’re shorter and pack easily. They also work just as well as the full size fins for what you are doing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You also need to consider you don't know what the weather will be like at Castaway Cay. Our day there a month ago, it was maybe 70F, windy, and overcast. The water was cold. Most pre-planned activities were cancelled.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
You also need to consider you don't know what the weather will be like at Castaway Cay. Our day there a month ago, it was maybe 70F, windy, and overcast. The water was cold. Most pre-planned activities were cancelled.
I ended up bringing gear from home. It was pretty decent day. The air was cool and overcast most of the time. My friend rented and we both agreed, while nice there were very few fish worth while to view

Phonedave

I ended up bringing gear from home. It was pretty decent day. The air was cool and overcast most of the time. My friend rented and we both agreed, while nice there were very few fish worth while to view

While they do stick a bunch of stuff down there for you to look at, it is hardly what I would call great snorkeling.

EOD K9

Exactly, it's a free-ish area were you can wade in from shore and see some stuff. It's just that nobody should think they are going to see corals, loads of fish, actual ships, or anything like that. You will see sand bottoms, placed artifacts, and some fish.
It’s great for beginners and cool to see the statues and sub from the ride.

Notes from Neverland

Exactly, it's a free-ish area were you can wade in from shore and see some stuff. It's just that nobody should think they are going to see corals, loads of fish, actual ships, or anything like that. You will see sand bottoms, placed artifacts, and some fish.

Seeing sea turtles up close, rays and a ton of fish made it more than worthwhile for us. Can't recommend enough that snorkeling first thing is the only way to experience it.

Phonedave

Seeing sea turtles up close, rays and a ton of fish made it more than worthwhile for us. Can't recommend enough that snorkeling first thing is the only way to experience it.

Going first thing in the morning is the best way to see anything,. However, I have done it three times and have never seen a sea turtle. Maybe 4 or 5 rays.

Notes from Neverland

Going first thing in the morning is the best way to see anything,. However, I have done it three times and have never seen a sea turtle. Maybe 4 or 5 rays.

Ah, that's too bad. We usually see them hanging out not too far from the old 20,000 leagues ride vehicle and Mickey Mouse (if that makes sense).

Phonedave

Ah, that's too bad. We usually see them hanging out not too far from the old 20,000 leagues ride vehicle and Mickey Mouse (if that makes sense).

I'm not sure when I will be back to Castaway Cay, but I will keep that in mind (it does make sense). I\ll bein the Caymans this summer, so I will get my turtle and ray fix there :)

One lonely fish by the sub

DSC01912.jpg

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
That's not the same sub that I recall swimming next to.
I didn't see some things. I was sort of wondering of there are two snorkel areas l, definitely saw no turtles or rays and we were there early and nobody was swimming in the area really.
Most turtles I ever saw was in the Tulum area of mexico.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom