Castaway Cay 5K

ChubbyK

Original Poster
Leaving for our cruise in 14 days and thought about doing the 5K ( walking of course ). Can anyone tell me a little more about it please. Is it worth doing it at least once ?

Disneymom201

You will sign up at the guest relations/services desk prior. The morning of we met in the morning at one of the clubs to obtain our bibs & review the course. There was CC 5k merchandise there, but if I remember correctly, it was only for display.
We walked a bit to get to the "start". The course was a little confusing to me. It's a nice little course. They do have a timer & got a cute rubber metal on a lanyard.
I'm happy I did it. Bought a hat & tshirt after me and the family headed to CC for the day at one of the kiosks/huts.
There were a lot of walkers. It was pretty hot in February. I'm sure there was water stations available, I just can't remember.
It's free...I'd definitely do it and would do it again. I stopped and got a few pics with my medal with The Wonder in the background.
Enjoy

Legendary

Leaving for our cruise in 14 days and thought about doing the 5K ( walking of course ). Can anyone tell me a little more about it please. Is it worth doing it at least once ?
Its definitely worth doing at least once. It's great way to explore the island. The course itself is flat and shade is really hard to find especially going in and back from the runway. We would have probably never went out to that part of the Island if it wasn't for the 5k. It is definitely not a typical RunDisney race, no characters or on course entertainment. Registration is free and you get a medal when you cross the finish line. We will definitely do again on our next cruise in November.

EOD K9

As you can see, I am not a runner, but I will still do it every time I hit the island. I remember there are at least two water stations, possibly three. Make sure you hydrate before you go out there. It can be very hot. There are all sorts of people running it. You have your marathoners who bring their little water bottle belt and bib(number) holder with them. You have people like me who just go to have fun on a little jog, and there are people who walk it. The medal at the end has gotten better over the years. As another poster said, there is a timer at the finish but you aren't chipped. Good luck and have fun!!

imahistorygeek

I agree with the others. Do it at least once. It's fun, a great way to see the island, and I received a nice medal at the end. This is a great free thing to do on the island. I hate running and it was still mostly (running is running after all) fun.

EOD K9

We just got back from our 5 night double dipper at CC. We did the 5k on day one and they estimated about 300 participants. I don't know if that's the case, but there were a lot of people. More than I have ever seen.

ChubbyK

Original Poster
We just got back from our 5 night double dipper at CC. We did the 5k on day one and they estimated about 300 participants. I don't know if that's the case, but there were a lot of people. More than I have ever seen.
Thanks for the info !.. Planning on doing it on Monday the 10th . Just hoping the weather cooperates on out double dipping . Will update this when I get back in case anyone else needs anything

tare

We did it. It was a nice experience. Not sure why they make you walk the 1.2 miles to get to the starting point. They used to do the tram. I feel the 1.2 miles,to get to the start should already count. For real.

EOD K9

We did it. It was a nice experience. Not sure why they make you walk the 1.2 miles to get to the starting point. They used to do the tram. I feel the 1.2 miles,to get to the start should already count. For real.
A lot of people were mumbling/grumbling about that. It would work if there weren't a mix of runners and people that weren't participating. That path is narrow at points. It's a good warmup anyway! What's an extra 1.2 miles amongst friends when you are already running three? ;)

tare

A lot of people were mumbling/grumbling about that. It would work if there weren't a mix of runners and people that weren't participating. That path is narrow at points. It's a good warmup anyway! What's an extra 1.2 miles amongst friends when you are already running three? ;)
Two years ago they did tram people in.

Indy_UK

Sorry to bump this old thread.

We are doing our first 4 night cruise next year with a stop at Castaway Cay which is in fact on my 32nd birthday.

I'm deciding whether it's something I want to do to say I've done.

What time does the run usually start?
Can family come off the ship with you to wait at the finish line?
Generally, if your jogging, how long does the run usually take?
Does it cost money to do?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry to bump this old thread.

We are doing our first 4 night cruise next year with a stop at Castaway Cay which is in fact on my 32nd birthday.

I'm deciding whether it's something I want to do to say I've done.

Cruisers running the Castaway Cay 5K are the first to get off the ship. You meet in one of the lounges at 8:00 AM to collect your bib, learn the course and hear instructions. That takes about 20 minutes, so you're off the boat no later than 8:30. Everyone assembles at the island post office and then you are walked to the starting line. I was towards the front the last Castaway Cay 5K I ran and my Garmin indicated I started at 8:57 AM.

Don't think there'd be a problem family getting off the ship with you so they can wait at the finish line - which is also the starting point.

How long it will take depends on how fast you run or walk. The course is flat, but the temperatures are very warm...and sunny. If you're doing a consistent 15 m/m pace, it will take you 46-47 minutes to complete the 3.1 miles. But it's a fun, not competitive, race. And hot, especially in the Loop of Death, where's there's no breeze. There's a water table at the entrance to the Loop. In addition, you'll find water coolers and paper cups along the course. Don't hesitate to use them for drinking or pouring on your head. Did I say it was hot?

The race is free. You need to sign up at Guest Services on Deck 3 prior to Castaway Cay day. Don't wait until race morning as the race may be full.

lostpro9het

You'll met with the other runners around 8:15-30 and walk off the ship together when the all clear is given. Then figure a 20ish minute walk to the start line and a few more minutes for the CMs to ready the start.
YES!
Depends on your definition of jogging ;-)
Nope! And you get a finishing "medal" when you're done.

LAKid53

Premium Member
And you get a finishing "medal" when you're done.

Ah, the rubber medal...

s-l400-1.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
@lee.moles.disney,

Here's a very informative article about the race, including photos.

Indy_UK

Thanks very much for the info.

I'm thinking that if I get room service for breakfast and family carry our stuff for Castaway Cay, I run the marathon and should be done by around 10-10:30?

Is there anywhere to refresh/shower without going back to the ship?

I really want to do this but also not take my whole day up doing it.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I'm thinking that if I get room service for breakfast and family carry our stuff for Castaway Cay, I run the marathon and should be done by around 10-10:30?

Depends on the number of runners and where you end up in that pack at the start line. Staff just walk everyone to the Start line and then use an airhorn as the starting pistol. The first few minutes are congested - the start line is over by the shops.

There's no place on the island to shower. There are places near the rest rooms to rinse off.

Do you plan on eating breakfast BEFORE the race? That's not advisable, given how HOT it will be. And sunny. I would grab something light, like a granola bar, before the race. And plenty of water.

Phonedave

No offense, but it sounds like you are not a runner. You call it a marathon, you question how long the course will take to run, you want to eat a full breakfast just before running, etc. If you are a runner I apologize for the assumption.

If you are not a runner, I would highly suggest doing some training before running this course. While it is a flat course, as others have said, it is a hot course. The heat is high, the humidity is high, and there is no shade.

If you are not used to running, I would not advocate going out and running this course. Run / walk a 5K by your home first - just to get an idea of how you can handle it. The conditions can be a big factor. I had been running in the NE for quite some time, when I decided to run a half marathon in the Cayman Islands one year. It was tough - heat and humidity take a lot out of you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom