Cast Member Pin Trading With Adults.

MileZXO

Original Poster
Ok, so just had the weirdest experience at All Star Music.

Excuse me if I'm incorrect as I'm fairly new to pin trading, I've read the brief rules and before I started just a week ago I was too shy to approach Cms to trade as I'm generally a shy person.

I was in the gift shop and I spotted a Cm with a world showcase China pin, i asked if i could trade and at this point hadnt even got my pin lanyard out of my bag before she said No and it was because she's from China.

Ok so i get it, i wasn't rude and I didn't kick up a fuss, i just said ok and walked away. Felt a bit annoyed because it's the last one I need for the full showcase pin set. I thought that as long as it was real, had a pin back and wasn't a duplicate they couldn't just refuse?

She was really blunt about it, I'm not saying im entitled to it but it just shocked me. As I never had this experience over the 2 week holiday here.. they've always said I could have which ever I wanted.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
CMs that pin trade will usually have either a pin board if they have a station to work from or a small dangling black square from thier belt line if they are mobile of the pins they will trade. There are pins that they can get free weekly to trade with the guests, but they don't have to trade any of thier personal pins if they don't want to.

MileZXO

Original Poster
CMs that pin trade will usually have either a pin board if they have a station to work from or a small dangling black square from thier belt line if they are mobile of the pins they will trade. There are pins that they can get free weekly to trade with the guests, but they don't have to trade any of thier personal pins if they don't want to.

This cast member had a lanyard. But my confusion is that surely if you don't want to trade it dont display it! She must get bugged for it!

She was happy to trade all the others

thomas998

Ok, so just had the weirdest experience at All Star Music.

Excuse me if I'm incorrect as I'm fairly new to pin trading, I've read the brief rules and before I started just a week ago I was too shy to approach Cms to trade as I'm generally a shy person.

I was in the gift shop and I spotted a Cm with a world showcase China pin, i asked if i could trade and at this point hadnt even got my pin lanyard out of my bag before she said No and it was because she's from China.

Ok so i get it, i wasn't rude and I didn't kick up a fuss, i just said ok and walked away. Felt a bit annoyed because it's the last one I need for the full showcase pin set. I thought that as long as it was real, had a pin back and wasn't a duplicate they couldn't just refuse?

She was really blunt about it, I'm not saying im entitled to it but it just shocked me. As I never had this experience over the 2 week holiday here.. they've always said I could have which ever I wanted.
If it was a regular Disney pin and not say a name tag, years of service or something like that, then she was obligated to trade the pin. I would have made a stink about it if I were you. Disney creates the rule for pin trading and the CMs are obligated to follow them. If it was a legit pin and you weren't trading one she already had then it should have been traded. It is bad enough the CM's will merrily trade pins that anyone with partial vision can tell are counterfeit, but if when they don't want to trade real pins... that's a problem. If she had a personal pin that she wanted to keep for herself then she shouldn't wear it on the job. I doubt that was the case, most likely she got it trading with some other guest but knew it was real and probably had value so she was going to take it home when she got off work and pocket it.

MileZXO

Original Poster
If it was a regular Disney pin and not say a name tag, years of service or something like that, then she was obligated to trade the pin. I would have made a stink about it if I were you. Disney creates the rule for pin trading and the CMs are obligated to follow them. If it was a legit pin and you weren't trading one she already had then it should have been traded. It is bad enough the CM's will merrily trade pins that anyone with partial vision can tell are counterfeit, but if when they don't want to trade real pins... that's a problem. If she had a personal pin that she wanted to keep for herself then she shouldn't wear it on the job. I doubt that was the case, most likely she got it trading with some other guest but knew it was real and probably had value so she was going to take it home when she got off work and pocket it.

Thankyou, so there has been progress. My wife refused to let it slide because it's the last one that we needed. So she saw a manager and just questioned it. He said it should have been traded but funnily enough he had one "out back" and gave it to us!

153749388105833201995597590232.jpg

This was the pin...

Just A standard mickey world showcase China pin.

thomas998

Thankyou, so there has been progress. My wife refused to let it slide because it's the last one that we needed. So she saw a manager and just questioned it. He said it should have been traded but funnily enough he had one "out back" and gave it to us!

View attachment 315427
This was the pin...

Just A standard mickey world showcase China pin.
Now for the bad news.... Sorry to tell you this but that doesn't look like a real pin. The surface of a legit pin should be smoother and the paint on that one doesn't look right. Notice how smooth the surface of your green and white mickey pin is, that is how the China pin should be if it were real.

KINGLOUIS1993

They do if it is on display.

LaughingGravy

If the manager got another from "out back", it's likely a legit pin, but I[sarc] can't imagine Disney going on the cheap for a second or third run of pins[\sarc]. MileZXO, how does it look compare to your others?

JIMINYCR

The only time I've ever been refused a trade with a CM was when I asked to trade a pin and was focused on the pin I wanted and wasnt seeing the CM was wearing a green lanyard, which is for kids trading. It can be frustrating when you are trying to complete a set and cant seem to find that one elusive pin to make it happen. :arghh::arghh:
Getting a pin from out back doesnt guarrantee its legit however. There are so many scrappers being traded that Disney doesnt go through their pins and get rid of those they have on hand. Hopefully yours makes the grade and is legit.

DisneyGigi

We used to do the pin trading thing a lot. I have tons, and the only thing I ever heard of was as stated above was the green is for kids only. They put more of the Hidden Mickey type pins on those for kids, which is great. I thought any worn by CMs and displayed they had to trade though sticking to that rule for kids only-green.

thomas998

You need to get your blind eyes checked, those are clearly finger prints.
I'm not talking about the finger prints on the pin. I'm talking about the paint, it doesn't look like it is smooth across the surface of the pin. Look at the little stars. The dark red around them give the impression that the paint dips down slightly from around the stars in which case it would be because the pain isn't a uniform depth. Now it could be a trick with the lighting but that's what I'm talking about not the finger prints.

Last edited:

HwdStudio

Why burst the OP’s bubble with this mess. Who cares if it’s authentic or not. It completed his set. He was happy. Why ruin it for him. So you take candy from children too?
Now for the bad news.... Sorry to tell you this but that doesn't look like a real pin. The surface of a legit pin should be smoother and the paint on that one doesn't look right. Notice how smooth the surface of your green and white mickey pin is, that is how the China pin should be if it were real.

thomas998

Why burst the OP’s bubble with this mess. Who cares if it’s authentic or not. It completed his set. He was happy. Why ruin it for him. So you take candy from children too?
Telling someone they got something that is fake isn't bursting their bubble anymore than telling someone its raining ruins someone's weekend. The rain is the problem not the knowledge.

thomas998

It's not fake. It's finger prints
I can see the finger prints and that is not why I'm calling the authenticity into question. I've already pointed out the problem I'm seeing with the paint and it isn't the finger prints its whether the surface is smooth or if it dips down any as it appears to near the small stars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom