Cast Member gives great explanation as to why Selfie Sticks are banned

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A cast member posted on Reddit discussing why the selfie sticks were banned. We know it was about the safety on the attractions but here is exactly why.

Posted by EnglishMobster on Reddit.com

"Hey there! I'm a cast member at Disneyland in California. Here's a picture of my old nametag -- I have a new nametag for the 60th Anniversary, but I don't have it on me at the moment so I can't take a picture. I work the Star Tours, Autopia, and Monorail attractions, but I have a general knowledge of how attractions at Disney work in general.

We have a thing called the "Envelope of Protection." Basically, all attractions made since 1965 are designed in such a way that the human body cannot reach out and touch anything -- here's a vehicle they use to test this (that's from Walt Disney World in Florida, but California uses the same concepts). This means that when a rollercoaster is going 45 MPH, you can have your hands out and you won't get hit (it's not a good idea to test that, however -- wedo tell you to keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times). A selfie stick is effectively an extra three feet that you can dangle out in any direction. The attractions weren't designed for that, and your selfie stick can hit part of the attraction. When you're going 45 MPH, that can seriously damage the attraction and your phone/camera. The selfie stick will likely fly out of your hands and in a worst-case scenario can either hit someone else on the ride (injuring them) or land on the track and derail the sled behind you. One of our largest rollercoasters derailed because someone's backpack fell out once, and we don't want to risk a selfie stick causing the same issues.

We originally tried banning them on rides where they could affect some show element or impact part of the ride -- any ride with animatronics that could be poked, and any ride moving relatively fast through areas your selfie stick could hit. People still kept bringing them on the rides and kept dangling them out of the ride vehicles -- and again, if your selfie stick hit something, it could endanger the safety of yourself and those around you. If we saw it come out, we had to stop the ride and ask you to put it away. Some rides can't restart very easily and could take up to 2-3 hours to restart fully (all sleds have to be pushed back to the station so they can begin cycling again, then several cycles have to complete to make sure everything is still okay).

Now, we don't care that much about people seeing "backstage." We have lots of marathons and charity walks around the park that involve going into backstage areas (this one being a charity walk for the CHOC Children's Hospital in Orange County that we do yearly). We actually open up backstage areas daily this time of year as an "overflow" corridor to help people get around the park -- the pathway up and down Main Street gets really crowded around the fireworks and the time our new Paint the Night Electrical Parade comes out, so we open backstage areas that take you "around" Main Street. One of these pathways even goes right next to the boat storage area for the Jungle Cruise, so you can see any boats they aren't using that day! Some special events for our Annual Passholders "lock down" a land just for them to use -- there was an event in Adventureland a few months ago that had guests exit through our backstage areas.

We do try to preserve the magic for most guests, but we don't press it enough to warrant an all-out ban on something. Our "Four Keys" to Disney are Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency (in that order), and Courtesy comes before Show -- we want to be nice and allow you to take your selfie stick photos, even if they show backstage areas. However, Safety comes before Courtesy -- and this was a safety hazard. Lesser steps weren't having an effect, so we moved to an all-out ban.

It was totally because of the rides, and it was totally because guests weren't listening to us Attractions cast members. If people had listened to us and not taken out their selfie sticks on rides, they would still be allowed in the park -- but people don't listen (or don't care) and think that their awesome selfie is worth potentially endangering others.

You can still wear your GoPros and stuff -- we've been told that mounting your camera on your head is considered a "hat" and mounting a camera on your wrist or hand is considered a "glove," so they're allowed. But you can't bring in any kind of grip or pole that could potentially break our Envelope of Protection."

jloucks

And here I thought it was because it was inevitable somebody was going to be beaten with their own selfie stick.

I find the Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency rules quite interesting/ingenious/hypocritical. I can't help think about what happens when Courtesy ends up becoming a safety issue. ...as in people fighting among themselves because they are packed in just a little too tight, or stampeding each other. Part of safety should be keeping crowds at rational levels. Safety is, after all, a top concern. I saw numerous heated raised-voice arguments on my last several visits. ...was even in one. All 100% crowd related. Also saw numerous people stepped on, shoved, and rolled over as well. Again, all crowd related.

TL;DR, crowds are dangerous, should reduce them based on Safety.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I personally have not been to Disney World since selfie sticks became a huge thing. I was in Disneyland last October and it wasn't a problem. I'm just curious, has anyone been personally affected by people using selfie sticks? Whether it caused their ride to shut down, or getting hit with one.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I personally have not been to Disney World since selfie sticks became a huge thing. I was in Disneyland last October and it wasn't a problem. I'm just curious, has anyone been personally affected by people using selfie sticks? Whether it caused their ride to shut down, or getting hit with one.

I've just seen my fair share of good 'ol Facebook-age narcissism. I did see someone get smacked with one as someone turned around in line to talk to someone behind them. To be fair, it could have been anything that smacked that person.

brb1006

I remember my visits to the resort before the Selfie Sticks we're a thing. Alot of guests we're very excited,happy,loved, and really appericated the resorts. I remember visiting the Magic Kingdom last month for my Senior Trip and I still loved the place. But the only problem was of course seeing visitors stand for a few minutes at a certain area in the park and blocked some parts of the park. I remember trying to head to Space Mountain and this couple stand in the very front of the Tommorowland entrance using the Sticks and didn't want to walk pass them to avoid getting hit by them. People who use Selfie Sticks in the park attractions are seriously missing out on the experience. Especially since some people care more about their Selife Sticks than the park itself. I'm not saying all Selifes are bad, but seeing Selife Sticks out during parades and firework shows are the worst!

BlindChow

I was at WDW last week, and though we saw people using them (not on rides), they were never a problem for us.

I don't doubt people have been hit with them, but the impression I get from complaints here is it's more of a generational gap (*shakes fist* TEEEENS!) thing than anything else. People are discourteous all around; they'll hit you with things, run into you, etc, even without selfie sticks. That problem won't be solved until people themselves are banned from the park...

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I was at WDW last week, and though we saw people using them (not on rides), they were never a problem for us.

I don't doubt people have been hit with them, but the impression I get from complaints here is it's more of a generational gap (*shakes fist* TEEEENS!) thing than anything else. People are discourteous all around; they'll hit you with things, run into you, etc, even without selfie sticks. That problem won't be solved until people themselves are banned from the park...

Funny you say teens. I work in NYC and I have tourists all around me. The majority of the people using selfie sticks are adults. There are stands that sell them on the street so its easy for tourists to grab. I actually bought a new prime lens for my DSLR and was testing it out in Times Square. The footage I got of people using selfie sticks was hilarious.

G00fyDad

Not really. It is a safety issue with most of us. Yes. People look insanely stupid using them, but I promise you that if I am ever hit with one I will destroy the device that is attached along with the stick. Yes, people will run into you or even hit you with something, but I challenge you to take a shoulder bump, a swinging purse hanging from the shoulder hit, or any other manner of casual contact and then get someone to swing a selfie stick around in a sweeping motion (device attached) and get hit in the face. Come back and tell us which hurts worse.

Animaniac93-98

If people had listened to us and not taken out their selfie sticks on rides, they would still be allowed in the park -- but people don't listen (or don't care) and think that their awesome selfie is worth potentially endangering others.

The best and most important sentence in the interview. Disney should make a poster of this and hang it next to the turnstiles.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I read about that. I'm just curious when the selfie-stick craze started between October and now.
Looks like you just missed it.;)

"Selfie on a Stick — a local company that sells the device online and at select Nordstrom and Opening Ceremony stores — has seen a 3,000 percent growth in sales in November alone. They've sold out of their Nordstrom stock three times already this season.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...-selfie-stick-trend-is-now-on-american-shores

HolleBolleGijs

I read about that. I'm just curious when the selfie-stick craze started between October and now.

I would say it definitely started to pick up around November, especially with Christmas right around the corner. I spent September through December in Europe, where you see a lot of stuff like that for sale on the streets, and it was really easy to see the evolution of selfie sticks.

Although I spent a lot of time at DLP when I was there as a CM and guest (basically once every weekend and the last two weeks of October) and I never had any issues, but it was still kind of early.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I had seen a couple of selfie sticks up in Animal Kingdom on Valentines Weekend and one couple wasn't paying attention and accidentally hit an old man in the back of the head. He totally lost in and started yelling at the couple.

I don't really blame him, as it was a pretty crowded area for selfie stick usage..

jloucks

I had seen a couple of selfie sticks up in Animal Kingdom on Valentines Weekend and one couple wasn't paying attention and accidentally hit an old man in the back of the head. He totally lost in and started yelling at the couple.

I don't really blame him, as it was a pretty crowded area for selfie stick usage..

I have seen people run into them before. Kinda hard to see, especially if your eyesight is so-so.

Goofyernmost

Does it really matter? Do you subscribe to waiting until some kid gets an eye taken out before they react to it? This is something that needs to be proactive. It doesn't take much of an imagination to see what the potential is and take care of it without anyone needing to be injured to prove that it is possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom