Cash-Strapped Disney

WDW Pro

Original Poster
So as of this time, what changes of a "social nature" are taking place? Besides, Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise?

Is the Mansion listed? What is going to happen to my Tiki Room or my Country Bears? Has anything changed on the list since then?

Well, one for example is that particular figures on Peter Pan are going to be removed. I haven't heard that Tiki Room is receiving changes in the near-term, and Country Bears is unlikely to be altered with Splash Mountain going down in (likely) 2023... they'll need something to eat crowds in Frontierland, even if it's not a popular attraction (apologies if you love it).

Any insight into the INSIDER article saying Iger and Chapek are at odds over Black widows release upsetting China?

I would say that it doesn't matter if Iger is at odds with Chapek anymore. Iger is over and Chapek has put his people in place; he's been very surprising in just how well he has taken control of the company.

Don’t dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Humility - A little goes a long way.

I think humility is a key part of a healthy person. I have been extraordinarily fortunate in the past two years in ways that I won't discuss on the forums, but needless to say I am humbled by opportunities I have had to impact the world at large. There have been a number of things that have happened in which I have had to say, "I can't believe this."

Rich Brownn

Before responding, let me say that it was a very pleasant surprise to log in today and see a flurry of activity in regards to this thread.

I think you are skeptical about the OLC and Disney relations being more strained than usual. For evidence of that, look no further than Splash Mountain not being modified in Tokyo despite Disney desperately wanting to get away from Song of the South. There are other items that will make this more clear as time goes on, but it's hard to see a divide when money isn't moving like normal.

For your points about fireworks, etc, I actually revealed new fireworks were on the way a few months ago. I'm pretty sure I discussed it with Martin in private messages, but I was discussing what was then "Project Sparkle" back in the spring. In comparison to what we would have gotten for the 50th pre-pandemic... it's no comparison. There was significantly more planned, and other insiders can verify that.

It looks to me like in the midst of a crazy pandemic, I had 7 out of 8 correct. The Bob Chapek fall guy thing was a question... and I think Chapek actually was the fall guy. However, Disney+ was a wild success (at least in pumping up the stock while everything else was nightmarish). That saved Chapek, and then he surprised quite a few people by being very quick to move his people into key positions. There are two new execs on the media side, in particular, who have effectively shifted the company away from Iger loyalists.

Looks like 88% correct again.

Things could have been horrific. If Disney+ had been six months later in launching, Disney would have been a company in a very different position today.
Song of the South was available on video in Japan long after it was pulled here (I actually have a laserdisc of it from Japan). Different culture, different values, different viewpoint I guess.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
81F84C0D-0EF8-41E0-B42F-7912428AF1BC.gif

Last edited:

TTA94

Before responding, let me say that it was a very pleasant surprise to log in today and see a flurry of activity in regards to this thread.

I think you are skeptical about the OLC and Disney relations being more strained than usual. For evidence of that, look no further than Splash Mountain not being modified in Tokyo despite Disney desperately wanting to get away from Song of the South. There are other items that will make this more clear as time goes on, but it's hard to see a divide when money isn't moving like normal.

For your points about fireworks, etc, I actually revealed new fireworks were on the way a few months ago. I'm pretty sure I discussed it with Martin in private messages, but I was discussing what was then "Project Sparkle" back in the spring. In comparison to what we would have gotten for the 50th pre-pandemic... it's no comparison. There was significantly more planned, and other insiders can verify that.

It looks to me like in the midst of a crazy pandemic, I had 7 out of 8 correct. The Bob Chapek fall guy thing was a question... and I think Chapek actually was the fall guy. However, Disney+ was a wild success (at least in pumping up the stock while everything else was nightmarish). That saved Chapek, and then he surprised quite a few people by being very quick to move his people into key positions. There are two new execs on the media side, in particular, who have effectively shifted the company away from Iger loyalists.

Things could have been horrific. If Disney+ had been six months later in launching, Disney would have been a company in a very different position today.

Project Sparkle? Let me guess a new parade or two Was included in that?

skypilot2922

Disney+ needs to show a profit, Verizon/ATT have been giving away subscriptions for years now.

celluloid

Disney+ needs to show a profit, Verizon/ATT have been giving away subscriptions for years now.

Just to keep things clarified, that is a slight hyperbole since the service has not been around for two years just yet, but the concept of your point is valid to me. Disney Plus is a very long term investment. There is so much competition with heavy hitters like HBOMAX and diversity that even Netflix is having trouble. It is interesting that Netflix was not interested in fighting to keep the Marvel series like productions anyway as they were pumping out so much and they did not return profits. Disney's budgets for their versions of the MCU series are much more modest and shorter amount of episodes per season compared to TV that I am sure it helps, but still a long term investment.

skypilot2922

Just to keep things clarified, that is a slight hyperbole since the service has not been around for two years just yet, but the concept of your point is valid to me. Disney Plus is a very long term investment. There is so much competition with heavy hitters like HBOMAX and diversity that even Netflix is having trouble. It is interesting that Netflix was not interested in fighting to keep the Marvel series like productions anyway as they were pumping out so much and they did not return profits. Disney's budgets for their versions of the MCU series are much more modest and shorter amount of episodes per season compared to TV that I am sure it helps, but still a long term investment.
I’ll concede it was a bit hyperbolic but when i keep getting emails and texts to activate my Disney+ service it feels like its been around longer.

the problem is that Disney+ does not have the content that im interested in. Does anyone remember ‘the ink and paint’ club on the old Disney channel or Disney’s WW II stuff including training films for all the services or the old wonderful world of Disney stuff and/or the ‘real life adventures’

yah I admit im a fan of ‘classic’ Disney, But Disney+ does not offer it. and im not that interested in the MCU or Disney’s Star Wars new coke version.

so to me Disney+ is not worth it even ‘free’. I do subscribe to hulu and paramount all access and Amazon though

celluloid

I’ll concede it was a bit hyperbolic but when i keep getting emails and texts to activate my Disney+ service it feels like its been around longer.

the problem is that Disney+ does not have the content that im interested in. Does anyone remember ‘the ink and paint’ club on the old Disney channel or Disney’s WW II stuff including training films for all the services or the old wonderful world of Disney stuff and/or the ‘real life adventures’

yah I admit im a fan of ‘classic’ Disney, But Disney+ does not offer it. and im not that interested in the MCU or Disney’s Star Wars new coke version.

so to me Disney+ is not worth it even ‘free’. I do subscribe to hulu and paramount all access and Amazon though

Fully on board here. I get it. The one easy thing they could have done and they have not done it. I loved watching Vault Disney. Honestly the new Behind the Attraction is the closest feel to that. I know it is not quite but that has been the most sincere thanks to the team behind it. It is the most love I have seen for those legendary teams and the respect of the attractions I have seen from the Iger era's last couple decade and a half.

It is so strange how some of the classic library is halfway. We can get Mr. Boogedy films but not the Ink and Paint Club or the other classic Walt Disney Treasure like things on there.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Fully on board here. I get it. The one easy thing they could have done and they have not done it. I loved watching Vault Disney. Honestly the new Behind the Attraction is the closest feel to that. I know it is not quite but that has been the most sincere thanks to the team behind it. It is the most love I have seen for those legendary teams and the respect of the attractions I have seen from the Iger era's last couple decade and a half.

It is so strange how some of the classic library is halfway. We can get Mr. Boogedy films but not the Ink and Paint Club or the other classic Walt Disney Treasure like things on there.
As a child of the 80’s, I don’t get why no one seems interested in capitalizing on the nostalgia of those of us now in our late-30’s-40’s between Disney or Nickelodeon. When Disney+ came out talking about opening the archives, I thought I might get to see Dumbo’s Flying Circus again (the one show I remember from free Disney Channel previews as a kid). Nickelodeon seems to view its classics as starting with Doug and Rugrats (both of which started when I was aging out of Nickelodeon programming), but no re-releases or streaming of “You Can’t Do That on Television,” “Out of Control,” “Pinwheel,” or probably a dozen other shows they could pop back out for next to nothing to appeal to the nostalgia of the current/recent generation of folks that might’ve wanted to share some of those with their own kids. For whatever reason, I’m guessing the first 10-12 years of cable tv may just remain in the past.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The “massive success” of Disney + is a bit of an exaggeration already. Is it a success? Of course. It’s an effective way for them to distribute their content in a new way. It’s an important step.

it’s a “step”…not the whole game.

is it “carrying the stock”? Or “raking in profit”? No. The money isn’t there yet. What it’s become to many Disney sycophants is an easy excuse to claim (as they always find a reason to do) that Disney is crushing everything and make excuses for mismanagement in other products/divisions…

…around here? Chapek really running roughshod over the park reopening.

it’s really been a terrible handling of the situation and it’s still unfolding.

but how is that interpreted? “Disney can do whatever they want! Look at that stock! Look at all those subscriptions!”

…it’s a stretch. But not an unexpected one.

skypilot2922

The “massive success” of Disney + is a bit of an exaggeration already. Is it a success? Of course. It’s an effective way for them to distribute their content in a new way. It’s an important step.

it’s a “step”…not the whole game.

is it “carrying the stock”? Or “raking in profit”? No. The money isn’t there yet. What it’s become to many Disney sycophants is an easy excuse to claim (as they always find a reason to do) that Disney is crushing everything and make excuses for mismanagement in other products/divisions…

…around here? Chapek really running roughshod over the park reopening.

it’s really been a terrible handling of the situation and it’s still unfolding.

but how is that interpreted? “Disney can do whatever they want! Look at that stock! Look at all those subscriptions!”

…it’s a stretch. But not an unexpected one.

My question is whether the money will ever be there for Disney+, why instead of investing in Disney+ did they not invest in Hulu which is already commecially successful and they own 2/3’s of it already????
Iger’s vanity if so simply rename ABC to The Disney Network.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My question is whether the money will ever be there for Disney+, why instead of investing in Disney+ did they not invest in Hulu which is already commecially successful and they own 2/3’s of it already????
Selling a “new” product allows them to pump up their own slice of the markets - which are 100% speculative and not really production based any longer.

and that was too much to resist for big shot Bobby.

but this is almost inevitable…Disney+ and Hulu and the ghost of espn and whatever abc DTC arrives will all be combined. Matter of time

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney+ has already far surpassed Hulu in both subscriber numbers and revenue. It's not even close.

And for those who think that much of their subscriber growth is from free services, their avg revenue per subscriber tells a bit of a different story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney+ has already far surpassed Hulu in both subscriber numbers and revenue. It's not even close.

And for those who think that much of their subscriber growth is from free services, their avg revenue per subscriber tells a bit of a different story.
And yet…that revenue is chump change considering the costs and the size of their operation/revenue needs.

Iger told everyone not to expect money before it launched…in case it didn’t go well. Everyone bought it.

now that they have subscribers…with the same dynamic we were all told…fans have convinced themselves it’s a gold mine/pure profit.

it’s the same math equation that doesn’t really work:

disney is always right/can do know wrong + ______ = _____

the “constant” throws the math off.

skypilot2922

Um, no the so called paying subscribers are largely everyone whose gotten an att and verizon phone since D+ launched, heck even on our business VZ account every new line or contract renewal comes with a year of ‘free’ paid by VZ D+,

So yes technically they have 100 million paid subscribers but those are vastly discounted and how many will actually convert to the end-user paid account? At present thats unknown and with the paltry offerings from D I expect conversion rate to be low

compare that to Hulu’s 39 million paid subscribers including 4 million who pay 50 buck/s month for live tv.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom