Cash-Strapped Disney

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
August 4 is the TWDC quarterly earnings report. Iger and Chapek will discuss company plans and update Wall Street on current state of company followed by Q&A. I suggest you listen to it.
I see your “this” ☝🏻...and raise you a “That” 👇🏻
An important note: the covid bailout programs restrict corporations that received funds from layoffs/reductions through 9/30/20.

We don’t know who that is...and won’t find out. Chance the Walt Disney company is one?

Just saying...there is a game here. If you watch financials talk about “10/1” being a big date...they’re not telling you why.

_caleb

August 4 is the TWDC quarterly earnings report. Iger and Chapek will discuss company plans and update Wall Street on current state of company followed by Q&A. I suggest you listen to it.
I will. Do you expect a MAJOR announcement beyond tightening belts and buckling down?

UNCgolf

Of course Diagon Alley at USO is also only one major ride, a transport ride and some shops, but the alley and the exteriors all feel correctly scaled. Same goes for Carsland really, the main street is about the width it needs to be for the Cars to drive down. Whereas StarWarsland just looks sparse in photos.

Yeah, Diagon Alley was 1000x more impressive than Galaxy's Edge to me. It felt like it had far more to do, even if it really doesn't. I think Galaxy's Edge is actually too big.

I also think that's partially due to Diagon Alley being a location everyone knows, though. So you recognize a bunch of specific locations from the books/movies and are able to visit them. Galaxy's Edge doesn't have that since they created a new location -- I understand why they made that decision, and it was probably the right one due to issues using any of the existing film locations, but it's still a problem compared to something like Diagon Alley.

_caleb

I see your “this” ☝🏻...and raise you a “That” 👇🏻
That would make sense. But even layoffs seem short-sighted in this environment. Cutting staff, raising prices, cancelling projects-- even bigger measures like restructuring the company or closing a theme park-- would still leave Disney in the same (now risky) line of work with the same threats to its business model.

Lilofan

An important note: the covid bailout programs restrict corporations that received funds from layoffs/reductions through 9/30/20.

We don’t know who that is...and won’t find out. Chance the Walt Disney company is one?

Just saying...there is a game here. If you watch financials talk about “10/1” being a big date...they’re not telling you why.
The memos leaked to the media state that United Airlines and American Airlines are part of the companies receiving bailout money but cannot lay off staff until 10/1/20. My friend works for UA and if UA does not get enough staff to walk away and take the severance package then an estimated 36K staff or 45% of company which includes 30% salaried will be gone starting October 1.

Lilofan

That would make sense. But even layoffs seem short-sighted in this environment. Cutting staff, raising prices, cancelling projects-- even bigger measures like restructuring the company or closing a theme park-- would still leave Disney in the same (now risky) line of work with the same threats to its business model.
Restructuring is a buzz word that seems to magically increase the company stock price.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, Diagon Alley was 1000x more impressive than Galaxy's Edge to me. It felt like it had far more to do, even if it actually doesn't.

I do think that's partially due to Diagon Alley being a location everyone knows, though. So you recognize a bunch of specific locations from the books/movies and are able to visit them. Galaxy's Edge doesn't have that since they created a new location -- I understand why they made that decision, and it was probably the right one due to issues using any of the existing film locations, but it's still a problem compared to something like Diagon Alley.
I don’t think it is familiarity but just simple, good urban design. Diagon Alley is place that looks and feel inhabited. It has windows that lets you look into the rest of the world, even if you cannot physically enter. Galaxy’s Edge is a bunch of solid walls. You cannot see or interact between in and out. It’s just walls.

Jon81uk

Yeah, Diagon Alley was 1000x more impressive than Galaxy's Edge to me. It felt like it had far more to do, even if it actually doesn't.

I think it also comes back to what there is to do, at Cars Land and Diagon Alley there are multiple shops and places to get food but anyone can just walk in. At Galaxy's Edge two of the main experiences need to be booked (Cantina and Droid factory) and are signficiant additional cost. At Hogsmede and Diagon Alley, even if a wand chooses you there is no obligation to purchase, you can just enjoy the experience of Ollivandors. I think Disney built great premium experiences but then just cut all the "included with admission" little extras.

UNCgolf

I don’t think it is familiarity but just simple, good urban design. Diagon Alley is place that looks and feel inhabited. It has windows that lets you look into the rest of the world, even if you cannot physically enter. Galaxy’s Edge is a bunch of solid walls. You cannot see or interact between in and out. It’s just walls.

I agree that's a big part of it, but I think the familiarity helps a lot as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The memos leaked to the media state that United Airlines and American Airlines are part of the companies receiving bailout money but cannot lay off staff until 10/1/20. My friend works for UA and if UA does not get enough staff to walk away and take the severance package then an estimated 36K staff or 45% of company which includes 30% salaried will be gone starting October 1.
Yep...we know airlines we’re given money because it was publicized...no way all the other fat cats didn’t line up in secret too.
Restructuring is a buzz word that seems to magically increase the company stock price.
You better believe it. More food in the trough for the pigs.
Absolutely...diagon takes time just to explore the nooks and corners. Star Wars land missed on the shops...how is that possible? They look like temp ones thrown into Adventureland or Tomorrowland. Nothing like the quality of diagon.
I think it also comes back to what there is to do, at Cars Land and Diagon Alley there are multiple shops and places to get food but anyone can just walk in. At Galaxy's Edge two of the main experiences need to be booked (Cantina and Droid factory) and are signficiant additional cost. At Hogsmede and Diagon Alley, even if a wand chooses you there is no obligation to purchase, you can just enjoy the experience of Ollivandors. I think Disney built great premium experiences but then just cut all the "included with admission" little extras.
Excellent points.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with you...but that’s what Disney does.

Stock price. Period. Blue ocean.

We just had a brutal example...why didn’t they ramp up the construction already in progress? You know how much more work gets done with no customers during the days?
It’s deliberate to delay the completions. It’s that simple.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

Maybe it's changed in the last few years, but being chosen by a wand absolutely required a purchase. Touring Plans advises parents who don't want to purchase a wand to quietly ask the attendant not to pick their kid.

Monorail_Orange

I agree that's a big part of it, but I think the familiarity helps a lot as well.
FWIW, I think you each have a piece of the puzzle, and putting the three of your posts together, we get a fairly complete picture.

JIMINYCR

It does remarkably well over there. They love Americana.

Reactions to the possibility of a retheme there were met with a bunch of “I never saw it as racist” and “Don’t change it”.

As a side note, it’s also worth mentioning that the Japanese people are a lot smarter and a lot more respectful than those of us in North America.
And what a selling point too.... Come ride the only remaining Splash Mtn. Enjoy an attraction not available to guests any place else. Come ride the ride that as so controversial it had to be removed.

Jon81uk

Maybe it's changed in the last few years, but being chosen by a wand absolutely required a purchase. Touring Plans advises parents who don't want to purchase a wand to quietly ask the attendant not to pick their kid.

You mis-understood Touring Plans text
"Check out the self-sweeping broom (shades of Fantasia?) while waiting for the show. To increase your odds of being picked, be a cute kid, stand up front, and make eye contact. If your young ’un is selected to test-drive a wand, be forewarned that you’ll have to buy it if you want to take it home."
If you don't want to take a wand home, then you can just say no after the show, but of course you risk having an upset child. The child can participate and then hand back the wand, but many children won't understand and you will end up having to pay to avoid having a crying kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom