Cash-Strapped Disney

Bleed0range

Have you been listening to the untethered rantings of the fandom menace?

Spielberg has been on board for Indy 5 for years now. And for years after whatever presumed horrible treatment Lucas got. If Spielberg won't work with Disney because of the supposed treatment Lucas got, then he wouldn't have originally agreed to be on board with Indy 5. Or worked with Disney for The BFG.

No, I don’t pay the fandom menace any mind. But I think things could change on a dime and cause Spielberg to walk away. He didn’t just walk away for no good reason. He didn’t just walk away to give some younger director a chance. What the reason is I don’t know, I could only speculate.

Maybe Disney is asking something of him or the script he doesn’t approve of. Maybe he had a conversation with Lucas privately where Lucas showed dissatisfaction with an Indy V. Maybe the script just was awful. I don’t think he’d commit for so long and walk away for nothing.

You just seem to be projecting a bit because you presume I listen to that fandom menace bs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, I don’t pay the fandom menace any mind. But I think things could change on a dime and cause Spielberg to walk away. He didn’t just walk away for no good reason. He didn’t just walk away to give some younger director a chance. What the reason is I don’t know, I could only speculate.

Maybe Disney is asking something of him or the script he doesn’t approve of. Maybe he had a conversation with Lucas privately where Lucas showed dissatisfaction with an Indy V. Maybe the script just was awful. I don’t think he’d commit for so long and walk away for nothing.

You just seem to be projecting a bit because you presume I listen to that fandom menace bs.

Can people turn on a dime? Sure.

Can you blame it on a favorite meme of the fandom menace when it doesn't make sense at all because of the timeline? No. But, you did. That's the point of contention.

But, now, you want to make it that my point was that people can't turn on a dime, which wasn't my contention with what you posted at all. That's a straw man.

Bleed0range

Can people turn on a dime? Sure.

Can you blame it on a favorite meme of the fandom menace when it doesn't make sense at all because of the timeline? No. But, you did. That's the point of contention.

But, now, you want to make it that my point was that people can't turn on a dime, which wasn't my contention with what you posted at all. That's a straw man.

I don’t even watch the videos about whatever the fandom menace’s opinion on Spielberg leaving Indy V are. Are you in denial that George Lucas was unhappy about his treatment with Disney? Because fandom menace or no, that’s obviously true. We know it’s true. Iger spelled it out for us. That’s where I made that jump.

That and knowing how close Lucas and Spielberg are and have been. Spielberg had once said he would never do another Indy unless him, Ford and Lucas were all on the same page. Perhaps, he just decided to stick with that sentiment after all.

Also, you’re arguing w me over something neither one of us know and are both speculating over.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t even watch the videos about whatever the fandom menace’s opinion on Spielberg leaving Indy V are. Are you in denial that George Lucas was unhappy about his treatment with Disney? Because fandom menace or no, that’s obviously true. We know it’s true. Iger spelled it out for us. That’s where I made that jump.

That and knowing how close Lucas and Spielberg are and have been. Spielberg had once said he would never do another Indy unless him, Ford and Lucas were all on the same page. Perhaps, he just decided to stick with that sentiment after all.

You made up a reason for Spielberg backing out (we haven't even determined he left in any sort of tiff or huff about anything... he could have had scheduling conflicts with another movie he's doing). The reason you gave didn't make sense based on the timing of when Lucas was supposedly snubbed.

That you made that up yourself instead of from some site that would claim that sort of thing... is to your favor? Ok. It's something you surmised on your own despite evidence to the contrary. There, you win.

Bleed0range

You made up a reason for Spielberg backing out (we haven't even determined he left in any sort of tiff or huff about anything... he could have had scheduling conflicts with another movie he's doing). The reason you gave didn't make sense based on the timing of when Lucas was supposedly snubbed.

That you made that up yourself instead of from some site that would claim that sort of thing... is to your favor? Ok. It's something you surmised on your own despite evidence to the contrary. There, you win.

You act as though my speculative opinion was presented as fact and then talk down condescendingly to me because you didn’t think it made sense to you?

My main point was that I don’t think Spielberg would walk away without a good reason, which we don’t know. It could be anything. I think there’s a decent chance it could be as simple as Lucas really not liking the idea of the movie, perhaps after Spielberg spoke more recently about it to him. This again, speculative. Should I put a big disclaimer that this isn’t true, please don’t take it as such? Is that necessary? I think it’s obvious nobody knows what happened exactly here.

Nobody “wins,“ that was a lame comment.

celluloid

Iger and Chapek will razzledazzle the Wall Street analysts during the 8/4 earnings conference call. When both Bob & Bob come up with a "restructuring and efficiency " plan it will help ease the nervousness of the Disney shareholders and Wall Street and hopefully the company stock price. Disney is a mover and shaker in the general stock market with billions of dollars of investor money at stake.

It will be the most fantasty filled Reconstruction Period display since Song Of The South!

esskay

They'll bounce back, they always do. The company's been through far worse in its history and has always bounced back strong. It'll take some time, and we're in for some serious cuts to service and cancellations but in the long term it balances out.

There's a good reason Disney is known as one of the best stocks in the world to invest in, and one many of us keep for a long, long time.

Lilofan

They'll bounce back, they always do. The company's been through far worse in its history and has always bounced back strong. It'll take some time, and we're in for some serious cuts to service and cancellations but in the long term it balances out.

There's a good reason Disney is known as one of the best stocks in the world to invest in, and one many of us keep for a long, long time.
Iger will probably describe this during the earnings call on Aug 4. His compensation is greatly tied into his performance targets set by the Disney board and the company stock price. However Wall Street and company shareholders want to know what's the recovery plan NOW. It's going to be an interesting earnings report and and many nervous folks listening to it. I'm looking forward to it and also the Q&A to follow. Iger used the term " cost synergies " on a previous earnings call regarding a merger. There are a number of buzzwords that are used instead of the word layoffs.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Don’t worry. Disney Management won’t rest until every attraction has a plot that follows the basic structure of “find *blank*”. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Search for Captain Jack will remain ;)
Yea, cause everything in the original Disneyland had no connection to a movie. Well, except Peter Pan, Snow White' adventure, Mr. Toad, Frontierland, Dumbo, Sleeping beauty Castle and a host of others. In my opinion, absolutely nothing was damaged by the inclusion of Captain Jack in Pirates. In fact, it may have extended the franchise by decades. It gave newer generations something to relate too. They did far more damage by losing "the Redhead scene". Disney has always had a mix of original things and borrowed ideas. Now all of a sudden it is like someone has stolen the holy grail to continue on as it always has been.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom