Cash-Strapped Disney

skypilot2922

By the way internet traffic cost 0.063 /Per Gbyte in 2015 I went out and grabbed a quote for 100 GB of transit came out to .016 per Gbyte so it's gone down by a approximately a factor of 5 but still by no means free or even that cheap.

Gringrinngghost

Not bad only 6:1 or so, It probably looked very good at that ratio, The wheels start to fall off when you hit 10:1
When looking at the file data from an AV forum, The film on 4K Disc is 92.5GB, so it is more like a 33% of the disc size for streaming over at HBO Max.

DoleWhipDrea

"Help me, Mr. Smee! Help me!"
I laugh every time I hear that line. It's amazing that with the Fantasyland attractions that WED/WDI chose to use voiceovers not from the actors that voiced the characters, when they had all the dialogue from the actual films available...it's something that I've always wondered about. On the flipside, at Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland dark ride, they actually had the actress record dialogue specifically for the attraction.

The depictions of the Native Americans are highly caricatured and culturally insensitive. I expect those figures will eventually be removed, but possibly leave the teepees there to represent the village's presence.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You keep talking about this but I’m not sure what your point is. The Verizon and AT&T subs are “free” for the consumer but Disney absolutely gets money for them - it’s just the subscription free is paid for by Verizon and AT&T. Now obviously they are getting that at a discounted rate but it’s still added revenue for Disney.

I’d be curious as the the numbers (how many people get such “free” service and how much Verizon, etc pays for it) but it’s basically pure profit for Disney as the marginal expense of those new additional subs is minuscule. And the more subs/revenue, the easier it is to justify spending on more original programming. And more original programming is how you drive future subs and retention. As has been mentioned, there was no drop off when the (large) first round of Verizon “free” subscriptions ended so D+ seems to have good retention. (Or at least there’s been no evidence they have had retention “problems”)

here’s the thing though if you up your contract or buy a new phone you get ANOTHER year of D+,

if D+ was ONCE per cell subscriber. I’d have more confidence in the apparent dropoff scenario. But if you DO take D+ from your carrier once it expires its billed to your cell so customer ‘conversion’ is automatic. So there is some number of people who have a paid D+ subscription and are not aware of it.
Which is a brilliant move by Disney in my opinion

I get free Netflix through my T-Mobile subscription. Does that mean that Netflix is in trouble?

WEDfan9798

It's super cool that you're Native American - what nation are you a part of? I was in Oklahoma City recently and heard a language being spoken that I was very unfamiliar with... turns out the family was speaking Shawnee. I just thought that was so cool that they were keeping that language alive, even using it publicly so their kids would continue to use it.

I have not heard of any changes coming for Haunted Mansion. One of the things to consider is that there was a very large list of modifications being recommended by the Story Matters Group. However, that list does not seem to be on the fast-track for changes at the moment. Because of that, I don't know how many of the recommended modifications are coming down the pike soon -- next week they might all be green lit, or very few might ever be approved. The relative silence about Splash Mountain over the past months would seem to indicate Disney is aware that some modifications are likely to cause more turbulence than they'd like to continue moving into. So will recommended changes like Peter Pan come to fruition? Almost certainly. Will recommended changes like equitable female and minority names on the Main Street "credits" come to fruition? That's harder to forecast now because of the slowing of the roll out.

For sentimental reasons, I'd like to see The Wuzzles be available. That really was the precursor to shows like Gummy Bears, Goof Troop, Duck Tales, etc, and almost nobody remembers it. It's a neat little show, even if it was ultimately a flop financially.
I'm Algonquin, specifically Wampanoag/Massachusett. Cultural affairs for us is very important to me. I just don't want them to go too far with this stuff to the point where they change entire lands or close old attractions because they're from a past age. To me, that flies in the face of being inclusive. I wish we would have more Native American representation. My grandpa loved the Indian Village at Disneyland because of the representation.

skypilot2922

I'm Algonquin, specifically Wampanoag/Massachusett. Cultural affairs for us is very important to me. I just don't want them to go too far with this stuff to the point where they change entire lands or close old attractions because they're from a past age. To me, that flies in the face of being inclusive. I wish we would have more Native American representation. My grandpa loved the Indian Village at Disneyland because of the representation.

The indian village at DL was a brilliant idea how can people begin to understand other cultures unless they get the chance to experience them. My wife is in large part Cherokee and it's obvious as for me well I'm a descendant of Attila and Robert the Bruce respective tribes. I tend to describe myself as a happy warrior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom