Casey's Corner & Expectant Mothers/Mothers

Mrs. Jobson

Original Poster
I have a question for all you expectant mothers and mothers. I read that expectant mothers should not eat hot dogs or lunch meats. Tell me what you know and if I should listen to these claims. I am really upset because we are heading down next week and I want to eat at Casey's Corner! Please tell me I can eat the little corn dog bites!!!!!!!!!!

RiversideBunny

It is possible to overdo the diet thing for expectant mothers.
I am not an M.D. and I don't play one on TV, but I would say eat a hot dog.

:slurp:

Phonedave

I am not an MD either, but the concern with lunch meat and hot dogs is with listeria - a bacteria.

Because foods like lunch meat and hot dogs are pre-cooked, the concen is that they can sit out, get infected, and then are only warmed up (or in the case of lunch meat just served). Thats when you have problems, the bacteria is not killed.

It is the same reason you are not supposed to eat any raw or undercooked meat or eggs (sushi, steak tartare, homemade mayo, etc) while pregnant

I assume WDW is inspected and practices safe food handling. In any case, corn dog nuggest are deep fried, and I presume plenty hot to kill any bacteria.

-dave

belle_1022

When I was expecting, I would have the periodic turkey or ham sandwich along with a turkey dog. I think you would be fine but remember, you won't be home and your MD isn't readily available. I do have to say if you get sick, the Celebration Hospital is close by and the staff was really nice.

tigsmom

You should not eat some cheeses as well because of the chance of listeria. With that being said I will say that I did have hot dogs, cheeses and lunch meats during my 2 pregnancies and suffered no ill effects; the key is to not over do it.
Of course you are not going to eat just hot dogs for all meals and snacks so go ahead and enjoy one or two while you are there.

tigsmom

Well I hope that I can still eat the warm cheese that Casey's has and others! I love that stuff!!!:rolleyes:

That is processed cheese spread (similar to cheezewhiz) so feel free, it's been heated to such a high temperature just about everything is killed. :lol:

It's really the fresh soft cheeses you have to worry about because they have not been heat processed.

Raegansmommy

When I was pregnant I asked my midwife about the lunchmeat and she kind of laughed at me. I was very cautious of what I ate during my pregnancy, in fact ate a lot healthier while I was pregnant, but I ate hot dogs and I had subway all the time. Everything in moderation. I'm not a Dr though, so you can always ask your dr's opinion if it will help ease your mind.

tigsmom

I didn't have soft cheeses especially cheez whiz and cheese in a can. I craved cheese in a can too.

Cheese whiz and cheese in a can are not soft cheeses they are processed cheese foods. Soft cheeses include brie, fresh mozzarella, queso fresco, etc...cheeses that are not heat processed and therefore can carry the bacteria.

Prince-1

If you're concerned you should probably ask your doctor. I know my wife was told to stay away from foods with nitrates such as hotdogs and processed lunch meats. If you can't eat at Casey's there's still plenty of yummy options for you to eat at.

SuzieN

The whole lunchmeat/hotdog thing must be something new they are telling expectant mothers. I ate lots of hotdogs and lunchmeat during my 3 pregnancies and all of my kids were born strong and healthy! Enjoy your hotdog!!!:animwink:

Mrs. Jobson

Original Poster
MMMMMMM!!!! I can just taste the cheese now and the corn dog nuggets. I only have a week left. It is so hot here that when I go outside it is hard to breath and my feet swell already. I don't know what I am going to do next week. Any suggestions?

Mrs. Jobson

Original Poster
Then I guess the best thing I could say is make sure you drink plenty of water and get off your feet as much as possible........hope you guys have a great time!!!

Thank you MattyFresh! I think we will be spending a lot of time at the pool when we get too hot. As you already know it's pretty hot in NC as it is. I guess we should be used to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom