carry on luggage

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Can someone point me to the carry on luggage guide lines. I am trying to figure out what bags I can put my water and other drinks and snacks in. I didn't see it in the FAQ thread. I am using my backpack for the bottle's of booze but a rolling bag would be more helpful to bring the water on with. Also what are the rules when we get back to port bringing my opened bottle of booze back off the ship? Can I even do that?

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
You need to either check the FAA site or your airlines site.

Ummm what does my airline have to do with DCL carry on luggage rules?!?!? I know what the guidelines are for flying. Not everyone has to fly to the port. I asked for the guidelines for the cruise line but thanks for not answering my question.

sweetpee_1993

Lol! Actually @hakunamatata isn't too far off the mark. You can't bring a rolling cooler of any sort so don't try getting clever. ;) The size & shape of your cruise carryon has to fit thru the scanner at the security check. The scanner is just like the ones TSA uses at the airport. We use a rolling duffle bag that's not quite as big as the smallest wheeled suitcase in our luggage set. We got it as one of the specials in the cruise gift shops when you spend however much and can get the duffle for $20 or whatever.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Its not a cooler just a small rolling suite case. so i was looking for dimensions so I can measure it and see if it falls within the cruise line dimensions.

sweetpee_1993

I don't have set dimensions for the carryons. I'm visiting my parents in Alabama and all those luggage pieces are back in Texas. ((I bring just a non-rolling duffle when visiting my folks.)) Our small suitcase, a Swiss Gear 20" spinning expandable, would fit. The wheeled DCL duffle we used is pretty much just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-...886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c356997d6

I was just kidding about the cooler. No, you can't have coolers but, when you think about it, it'd be a smart way to haul on a load of beverages. It'd fit thru the scanner. Why not? Eh, for whatever reason DCL says no. I wish!

I was thinking about it earlier. I've got one of those telescoping travel accessory things with the wheels that sorta makes like a mini hand-dolly thing. A couple bungee cords and I could strap on a case or 2 of water. But, somehow I think this wouldn't fly with DCL.

As for bringing your opened alcohol back off the ship, we've never had a problem with this. We wrap it up tight and pack it in our checked luggage. Of course, we've never used the luggage service thing for debarkation (where you set your bags out by 10:30 the night before you get off the ship and the next time you see them they're in the terminal waiting for you). We always haul all our luggage with us. I would guess luggage being sent via the service wouldn't be a good idea to pack the leftover open bottles in just in case of breakage. The luggage handlers aren't known for being gentle with the bags. I'd carry whatever I wanted to haul off with me one way or another. Maybe repack another carryon bag then send your bigger checked bags for the service. You can always tuck the bottles into your bigger suitcases for checking with the airlines once you've cleared customs later. Again, we've never had any problem hauling off already opened bottles. We didn't declare them on our customs forms or anything because they weren't purchased during our travels, right?

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Ty sweetpee_1993....we are going to DW after the cruise by our own rental car so I will be taking my luggage off the ship with me. I wasn't sure if customs was an issue with the open bottles TY for answering that for me. now I do not have to down a half open bottle of vodka the last night of the cruise!!!!

I actually thought of bungee cording the case of water onto the carry on but didn't think disney would let that go.

I did end up finding dimensions after looking at every part of the DCL site

· Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

ChuckElias

I've seen people bring cases of bottled water onto the ship that are not technically "in" their carry-on luggage. (More like they are carry-on luggage.)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I have seen people with a case of water and a case of beer being hand carried on board the ship. Does not seem to be a problem. We have always put everything in roller bags and never had a problem. I drink bourbon and ginger ale, so I always bring some 20 oz bottles of ginger ale. Pour out some and fill with the bourbon. Than I take these to shows and other events on board and have never had a problem.

mcompanik

We want to bring a case of water on board with us, so should we put it in a carry-on? I really don't like the idea of hand carrying it.

ChuckElias

You really only have two options that I know of: 1) carry the case or 2) put it in a carry-on. So if you don't like option 1, I think you're left with packing it somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom