Carousel of Protest

tmm7899

I have a question. Does it mean that because CoP is closing at WDW, does that mean that it will never be shown again? Sometimes when attractions close they get moved to other parks so that other people can enjoy the same attractions that we have loved.

NowInc

As much as I'd love to see CoP re-open...a letter or petition wont do anything to convince them in either direection. Horizons had a MASSIVE poll of people writing in to them about its closure...and well...we all know how that story ends...

NowInc

No..I agree it never hurts to try...I'm just letting you know to not be too dissapointed when it closes even after a million letters are sent in...

Jimengland

I thought that Horizons was taken away due to the building being too dangerous to use. No amount of petitions is going to stop a health and safety risk.

NowInc

Originally posted by Jim,england
I thought that Horizons was taken away due to the building being too dangerous to use. No amount of petitions is going to stop a health and safety risk.

Riiiiight...they also claimed the building was on top of a HUGE sinkhole...if that were the case..they would NOT build Mission: Space right on top of it.

Lack of a sponsoer was the MAIN thing that killed Horizons.....

Monorail Lime

Actually they did extensive amounts of foundation work after the Horizons show building came down. I can only assume it was for a sinkhole. They are fixable, you know.

grizzlyhall, I'd advise against distributing materials on Disney property. If a bunch of people stood around the carousel and explained the situation to those who ask, it would probably be okay. But handing out anything, holding up signs or banners, or yelling things is solicitation and is grounds for immediate removal from Disney property.

James123

Account Suspended
100 years ain't 60!

I like CoP as much if not more than anyone, however, let's be realistic about the closure. The General Electric CoP was designed for the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. The whole theme of the show was designed to sell the virtues of electric power to the average homeowner. Radio, TV, refrigerators, clothes washers, dishwashers, fans, lights, ovens, vacuum cleaners and many other electrical appliances were the "stars" of this show. The show was designed with 4 scenes to depict how electricity has changed our lives since 1900. Each scene covered about a 15 year period (i.e. 1900 to 1960). The last major rehab. was in 1993 when they changed the show and based the 4 scenes on holidays (Valentines day, 4th of July, Halloween and Christmas) and also returned "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" to the score. The Halloween scene is set in the 1940's and then the Christmas scene is designed to depict the present day, a gigantic leap of 60 years! It just doesn't work. The last scene jumps the same amount of time that the whole show was originally designed to cover! Time marches on. Now is the time to give cousin Orville the privacy he has always desired. May he rest in peace.

Mattore

It is true that people complained about the closing of many attractions (Horizons, etc) to no avail. Indeed, there were even in-park protests about Toad being closed, along with letters, tshirts, and all sorts of stuff (visit www.savetoad.com). And the ride still closed.

HOWEVER, we must also remember that people complained about the new JIYI, and the lack of Figment. They wrote letters, spoke to guest relations, etc. And only 1 year and 8 days after it opened, JIYI closed again, and it is now in rehab. Granted, we don't know what the end result will be, but it does seem that the mass public dismay at the new attraction DID have an influence, and that it did lead to a new rehab for the attraction.

This doesn't mean that protesting for CoP will do anything. But I just wanted to point out that Disney has not "always" ignored people's complaints. Indeed, it could be said that the company does what they can to please everyone while still coming up with new ideas and maintaining profitablilty.

NowInc

Originally posted by Mattore
It is true that people complained about the closing of many attractions (Horizons, etc) to no avail. Indeed, there were even in-park protests about Toad being closed, along with letters, tshirts, and all sorts of stuff (visit www.savetoad.com). And the ride still closed.

HOWEVER, we must also remember that people complained about the new JIYI, and the lack of Figment. They wrote letters, spoke to guest relations, etc. And only 1 year and 8 days after it opened, JIYI closed again, and it is now in rehab. Granted, we don't know what the end result will be, but it does seem that the mass public dismay at the new attraction DID have an influence, and that it did lead to a new rehab for the attraction.

This doesn't mean that protesting for CoP will do anything. But I just wanted to point out that Disney has not "always" ignored people's complaints. Indeed, it could be said that the company does what they can to please everyone while still coming up with new ideas and maintaining profitablilty.

Not entirely true...yes the complaints about JIYI helped the decision..but the final word came when Eisner rode the ride and was VERY dissapointed (Similar to how he was with the ORIGINAL alien encounter)

Mattore

Originally posted by NowInc

Not entirely true...yes the complaints about JIYI helped the decision..but the final word came when Eisner rode the ride and was VERY dissapointed (Similar to how he was with the ORIGINAL alien encounter)

Of course. Naturally, you are going to need an executive to be displeased with an attraction to have it closed. However, the point I was trying to make is that the complaints were likely to have had some impact. I am sure that somwhere there is a ride that Michael Eisner doesn't like, which is still running in full force.

Scooter

You people talk like C.O.P is a done deal.

I STILL havn't heard that it's officially closed for good.

Let's not protest it's permanent closing until we know for sure that it IS indeed closed for good.

I've been keeping an eye on this situation and looked into other Disney sites and other boards and everything I have read to date shows NO indication that this ride is down forever.

I'll be first in line to protest if I hear something official. I even have a T-shirt with a picture of the That guy on the C.O.P. sitting in his chair and the T-Shirt says "Eisner..don't leave this man HOMELESS" but I think I'm going to wait awhile and see what happens before I say or do anything. We should know by the the end of next summer if the rumors about the closing are true. The busy season should tell us for sure.

ToTBellHop

you will not get any official announcement regarding CoP's closure until a new ride is in the works. They never said 20000 Leagues Under the Sea was closed....but I think we all agree that it is. I also somehow doubt anyone in upper management reads these letters...you'd be lucky if their secretaries had the big job of throwing them in the trash...disney says it listens to its guests, and I'm sure someone reads the letters, but then they just put a little check next to the topic on the big list, send out a "canned" response, and toss your letter in the trash...the number of letters they must get a day...

tmm7899

People keep mentioning 20,000 Leagues, now I was very saddened when this attraction closed because it was my all time favorite! Anyway Disney had a good reason to close it, the reason is that it was not handicap accessible and therefor not everybody had the opportunity to go on it.

NowInc

Originally posted by tmm7899
People keep mentioning 20,000 Leagues, now I was very saddened when this attraction closed because it was my all time favorite! Anyway Disney had a good reason to close it, the reason is that it was not handicap accessible and therefor not everybody had the opportunity to go on it.

Hmm..although the lack of accomodation for Handicaps was a factor..that was hardly the reason it was closed. Like many other disney attractions...lack of appeal (and usually lack of a sponsor) ends up to be the killing factor.

On the upside tho, When (notice I didnt say IF) COP does finally get deported out of the MK..the space will most likley go to a MUCH better use than that of the 20,000 leaugues lagoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom