Carousel of progress family

Uncle Orville

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if the family in carousel of progress is the same through the whole show or if it is different generations. The nicknames change a little through the scenes and some people show age while others don't through the scenes. On TTA the announcer says "in the carousel of progress familIES welcome you into their homes of yesterday an today." he says families instead of family. Please tell me what you think.

MissM

I wondered if that was the same family in Horizons. I heard somewhere that Horizons was after COP
Horizons was an "official sequel" to CoP and as a nod, did use the same family AA's.

Wouldn't their daughter Sara, who is now sitting on the couch, be in her 90s at the time they did the refurb? Also, wouldn't the grandfather, who talks about not having a house phone, be the father who initially greets us at the beginning of the ride?
It's not supposed to be literal. It's more that you're symbolically following a family through the years and experiencing how technology improves their lives. Also, keep in mind it didn't span over 100 years like it does now when it was first created. Makes it a little more awkward if you try to be literal about it.

EOD K9

That's why I said at the time of the refurb. If we went literal now, the dad would be in the Guinness Book for his age. Not for nothing, I don't take too much literally in WDW.

Walt Disney1955

Walt created it for the World's Fair in 1964. The first scene is the turn of the century 1900, the next one is the 1920s, the next one is the 1940s and the last one is the modern times which would have been the mid 1960s. That last scene just gets more modern as time goes on, everything else stays the same. I honestly have to wonder if Walt thought the attraction would still be loved some 50 years later. He probably wasn't even thinking about the gaps in between the 1960s to the present day.

EOD K9

Walt created it for the World's Fair in 1964. The first scene is the turn of the century 1900, the next one is the 1920s, the next one is the 1940s and the last one is the modern times which would have been the mid 1960s. That last scene just gets more modern as time goes on, everything else stays the same. I honestly have to wonder if Walt thought the attraction would still be loved some 50 years later. He probably wasn't even thinking about the gaps in between the 1960s to the present day.
Walt used the World's Fair to help finance research and perfect his AAs. I don't know if he envisioned those rides ending up at his parks or not.

MOXOMUMD

Never thought much about it. I know the daughter is blond in the final scene, but isn't she a brunette earlier?

I just don't know.

CoP needs a new building so badly. If I ever win the lotto, I will sponsor this attraction and pay for a bigger building.
Note to self: Buy Luv 100 lottery tickets! :D

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Walt would be furious to know that it is unlikely we will not see self drying jackets, self lacing shoes and hover boards in common use by 2015...

rct247

Originally it was one family. I think it is assumed that the first three are still the same family, but with the large gap in time for the last scene, it is a different generation of the family.

luv

I always figured it was just one, typical family represented in each era...not one family that was followed through the years.

JIMINYCR

Same family.. Watch the ride through video... Near the end of the last scene.. the father says, I cant believe all the new gadgets theyve got now. Do you know in my day... Daughter... Youre not going to tell us about the old days how you didnt have a car phone.. Father..For a while we didnt even have a house phone, laser disc, hi def tv,.. everything is automated ... including.. toilet flushes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom