Carnival in the news again

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Is this bad? It feels kinda bad. . .

A family from Florida is demanding answers from Carnival Cruise Line after finding a hidden camera behind their cabin’s television during an October vacation.

The device was reportedly discovered by the family’s father during an allergy attack, after he moved the TV to inspect for dust. Sticking out from the wires, he said, was a small camera — still warm to the touch — with its lens pointing directly at the bed

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/family-finds-hidden-camera-in-carnival-cruise-stateroom

NelleBelle

OMG! That does it for me! Was potentially thinkinking of doing a cruise on one of the newer ships but uh-uh! Given their overall history, this is the last nail in the proverbial coffin for me. I will never be giving Carnival a dime, no matter how loudly the sea may be calling me!!
Thanks so much for sharing this!!

NelleBelle

I did too, as well as the Horizon. But this did it for me!! Now I'm going to be checking all my future staterooms out from here on out (and likely hotel rooms)! Lol, can you say paranoid I over here?

21stamps

I did too, as well as the Horizon. But this did it for me!! Now I'm going to be checking all my future staterooms out from here on out (and likely hotel rooms)! Lol, can you say paranoid I over here?

I’ve seen people on CC say that they’re scared of Royal Caribbean now with the latest Norovirus outbreaks again.. I just feel like all of this stuff could happen on any line.
But I agree with you.. I’m probably going to start looking for cameras everywhere too.lol. It’s crazy! I don’t think they know if it was actually streaming somewhere or recording.. but either way- still creepy!

disneygeek90

I’ve seen people on CC say that they’re scared of Royal Caribbean now with the latest Norovirus outbreaks again.. I just feel like all of this stuff could happen on any line.
But I agree with you.. I’m probably going to start looking for cameras everywhere too.lol. It’s crazy! I don’t think they know if it was actually streaming somewhere or recording.. but either way- still creepy!
I was on the RC ship with the norovirus outbreak a month ago. Both of my parents even got it and were in pretty bad shape for 24 hours or so. My bro and I made it out unscathed. While reports were stating 300 people, it was definitely closer to 500. The staff was great and took all precautions once we had known about it to stop it from spreading. There was only so much they could do. However, we all agreed afterward that it was a fluke thing. That was our 4th time alone on the Independence. We love cruises, living in Florida sure does help with the travel cost, and we already have another booked on the Independence for next year.

Now... Carnival, I can't comment on. I've heard so many trashy things about them I stay far away.

jaklgreen

Just sad.

What is sad is that Norovirus is completely preventable just by people washing their dang hands! It is sad to say that a lot of older people are very bad about their hygiene. I have to use the rest room frequently and notice that most women do not wash their hands. Or they do a quick rinse to make it look like they do. I imagine the men are the same. It makes me angry that they are putting our health at risk because they are too lazy to simply wash their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phonedave

Didn't want to start another thread for the latest Carnival "in the news" :)
Carnival Triumph gets failing grade in sanitation

About halfway through the article, it begins to require a strong stomach to continue reading. :hungover:

I read things like that, I it just makes me wonder how it happens. It is so easy to correct. You put a process in place - every day check the dishwasher nozzles (or whatever the time frame is) and somebody does it and signs off on it. Its a matter of a process and then ensuring that the process is followed. FYI, if anybody needs a project manager or process improvement person, I am now in the job market (Maybe Carnival is hiring)

-dave

NelleBelle

What is sad is that Norovirus is completely preventable just by people washing their dang hands! It is sad to say that a lot of older people are very bad about their hygiene. I have to use the rest room frequently and notice that most women do not wash their hands. Or they do a quick rinse to make it look like they do. I imagine the men are the same. It makes me angry that they are putting our health at risk because they are too lazy to simply wash their hands.
So true! Although, I have to say, I see people of all ages not washing hands. And it totally peeves me off when people don't use the saniwipes/purell stations at the restaurants and buffets on the ships. So far, I think DCL has the best system where there are CM standing "guard" over the entrances, handing out wipes to everyone (although, I have seen people take them and just throw them away without using them...argh!! :mad:). When sailing Princess, they just have the Purell stations and I'd say 80% of the people bypassed it going through the buffet!! I'd make loud comments about the lack of hygiene whenever I'd see this, but all it did was raise my blood pressure. I made darn good and sure my hands were washed all the time (I'd bring alcohol wipes with me from my blood glucose kit to wipe the salt & pepper shakers down at the buffets because I don't trust that those get wiped and I end up touching them. What I really need are bleach wipes).

Last edited by a moderator:

jaklgreen

So true! Although, I have to say, I see people of all ages not washing hands. And it totally peeves me off when people don't use the saniwipes/purell stations at the restaurants and buffets on the ships. So far, I think DCL has the best system where there are CM standing "guard" over the entrances, handing out wipes to everyone (although, I have seen people take them and just throw them away without using them...argh!! :mad:). When sailing Princess, they just have the Purell stations and I'd say 80% of the people bypassed it going through the buffet!! I'd make loud comments about the lack of hygiene whenever I'd see this, but all it did was raise my blood pressure. I made darn good and sure my hands were washed all the time (I'd bring alcohol wipes with me from my blood glucose kit to wipe the salt & pepper shakers down at the buffets because I don't trust that those get wiped and I end up touching them. What I really need are bleach wipes).

My last cruise I was chatting with the cast member in charge of reminding people to wash their hands when entering cabanas. This guy walks in and was reminded and he said he was fine because he took a shower that morning!?! Ok, that lasts all day.. LOL

NelleBelle

My last cruise I was chatting with the cast member in charge of reminding people to wash their hands when entering cabanas. This guy walks in and was reminded and he said he was fine because he took a shower that morning!?! Ok, that lasts all day.. LOL
NO WAY!! Did this moron never use the restroom?? GROSSS!!:eek::hungover: I truly believe that the general population is getting dumber with each generation, not smarter. Geesh! I think those poor CM have the absolute worst jobs onboard, LOL

jaklgreen

NO WAY!! Did this moron never use the restroom?? GROSSS!!:eek::hungover: I truly believe that the general population is getting dumber with each generation, not smarter. Geesh! I think those poor CM have the absolute worst jobs onboard, LOL

I work in food and it is disgusting how the majority of people do not wash their hands before eating, ever. We are cafeteria style and people will start eating their food in line to pay and I know they have not washed their hands yet. Not only that, they take a bite, lick their fingers and then hand over their money or cc to us with liked fingers. Gross. I would say a good 99% of people go into a restaurant and order food and do not wash their hands before they touch the food. I see it every day. I mean you are touching your car door, they door to the restaurant and probably have come from work so who knows what other germs you have picked up. Some people might say what is the big deal but it is one thing to get yourself sick but on a cruise ship you are risking everyone else.

CJR

I think part of Carnival's problem is the company operates too many ships. The bigger the business, the harder it is to run it. Disney has four ships, if they had the issues Carnival did, that would be a huge problem. Not only because Disney has fewer ships to manage, but you can go on three or more Carnival cruises for the cost of one Disney cruise.

If Disney had these issues, it'd definitely be all over for them. So far, they've put their expensive costs back into their ships. As they get three more ships, almost doubling the size, they need to keep it up. Carnival is the Motel 6 of cruising, compared to Disney. You can enjoy your stay, and save lots of money, but Disney comes with the quality. Hopefully they never change what sets them apart (like they have been with their resort hotels, IMHO).

NelleBelle

I think part of Carnival's problem is the company operates too many ships. The bigger the business, the harder it is to run it. Disney has four ships, if they had the issues Carnival did, that would be a huge problem. Not only because Disney has fewer ships to manage, but you can go on three or more Carnival cruises for the cost of one Disney cruise.

If Disney had these issues, it'd definitely be all over for them. So far, they've put their expensive costs back into their ships. As they get three more ships, almost doubling the size, they need to keep it up. Carnival is the Motel 6 of cruising, compared to Disney. You can enjoy your stay, and save lots of money, but Disney comes with the quality. Hopefully they never change what sets them apart (like they have been with their resort hotels, IMHO).
Royal Caribbean has a lot of ships and they seem to be able to keep their act together. I know that Carnival owns Princess, but Princess keeps themselves up to par. But I think you may have hit the nail on the head...Carnival is the Motel 6 of the cruise industry--which is still no excuse for their failures. However, the amount and type of failures are certainly the reason I will never cruise on Carnival.

Hoping DCL keeps the customer service top notch, even with the new ships. We love DCL for their service! It harkens back to what the customer service used to be in the parks, which is sadly a rarity witnessed nowadays.

Phonedave

Royal Caribbean has a lot of ships and they seem to be able to keep their act together. I know that Carnival owns Princess, but Princess keeps themselves up to par. But I think you may have hit the nail on the head...Carnival is the Motel 6 of the cruise industry--which is still no excuse for their failures. However, the amount and type of failures are certainly the reason I will never cruise on Carnival.

Hoping DCL keeps the customer service top notch, even with the new ships. We love DCL for their service! It harkens back to what the customer service used to be in the parks, which is sadly a rarity witnessed nowadays.

Exactly. To use to motel analogy. It is one thing to operate a cheap hotel, where the rooms are clean and safe, but maybe the decor is not quite up to date, you don't get 100 channels of TV, 800 thread count sheets, or a included cooked breakfast.

It is an other thing to operate a hotel where the rooms are dirty, they are have broken fixtures, and there are safety issues.

It's one thing to offer cheaper or lesser services. It is an other to compromise guest safety and health.

-dave

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

I dont know, they seem to have more noro issues than Carnivmoit. They were also detained by the USCG last year for deteriorating life vests. That is just plucking the two issues that instantly come to mind.

21stamps

Did anyone else see the story about a 12 year old girl being molested by a crew member?
It was NCL, not Carnival.. but thought it was appropriate to add here.
So scary!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom