Carnival Cruises to introduce Wearable Medallion

orky8

Original Poster
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/b...allion-that-records-your-every-whim.html?_r=0

"Inside a clandestine Carnival Corporation complex here, two former Disney executives have been plotting a drastic cruise industry overhaul. Their mission: Take lessons learned at Walt Disney World, where they helped bring about a $1 billion vacation management system involving Fitbit-style bracelets that link to personal information, and apply them to cruises"

Basically, since Disney spent $1B and reaped huge returns, other companies are jumping at the bit to lose their money in this area as well. Not that I would object to such a medallion as I enjoy the convenience of magic bands and do wish DCL offered magic bands. But, the fact that DCL doesn't offer magic bands, should maybe tell you something... Perhaps that these two Disney executives may be overestimating the rate of return they can expect to see.

"“The cost is in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and, over time, more than that,” Mr. Donald said."

Now, I'm not a math major, but I think the thing that is more than hundreds of millions of dollars is billions of dollars, no? Perhaps a component of this is updated infrastructure the ships need anyway, but I'm a bit surprised that other companies are looking so eagerly to this after Disney has been unable to articulate, to my knowledge at least, any tangible benefit to the bottom line from MyMagic+.

Side note, this does seem to confirm that MyMagic+ was at least $1B.

Kevin_W

I saw that article. I would think a cruise ship would be much easier to do than WDW just because of the relative sizes. That said, Carnival has a lot of ships - if they are doing this on all of them it's no wonder the price is high.

21stamps

I saw that article. I would think a cruise ship would be much easier to do than WDW just because of the relative sizes. That said, Carnival has a lot of ships - if they are doing this on all of them it's no wonder the price is high.
I wonder if they would just do it on certain lines or certain ships instead of a broad sweep.

DisneyJoe

Disney, RCCL, NCL and others are making great leaps in using smart phone apps on their cruises, no need for a band or puck of any type. DCL youth clubs use wristbands for security with the kids. RCCL does have WOW bands on one or two ships.

Phonedave

I don't understand what the benefit on a cruise would be. Any cruise I have ever been on (DCL or other) my room card has allready acted as a "Magic Band". Anything that I wanted that was an extra charge - charge it to the room. Leave the ship or return, show your room card. Beverage package? - encoded on your room card. Granted it does not have the RFID range of a magic band, but then ships dont have that need.

What do you gain by moving from a mag strip to an RFID on a ship? You can track how many times I went to a particular area? It's a ship, its not that hard to see what the popular areas are.

-dave

Phonedave

Disney, RCCL, NCL and others are making great leaps in using smart phone apps on their cruises, no need for a band or puck of any type. DCL youth clubs use wristbands for security with the kids. RCCL does have WOW bands on one or two ships.

I don't like that idea. When I am on a cruise, I do not normally carry my cell phone (data charges, cell at sea costs, etc). I don't want to have to carry it because the cruise line now wants to use my device to provide their services. Not to mention, what about the people who don't have smartphones.

-dave

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't like that idea. When I am on a cruise, I do not normally carry my cell phone (data charges, cell at sea costs, etc). I don't want to have to carry it because the cruise line now wants to use my device to provide their services. Not to mention, what about the people who don't have smartphones.

-dave

Not to mention that at least DCL charges an arm and a leg for Wifi service while on-board. They'd have to provide some kind of ship-local Wifi service if they intended to utilize a smart phone app.

DisneyJoe

-dave
We found it very helpful on our last DCL cruise since the Personal Navigator was on our phone and we never needed to get extra copies of the printed version. Having a map of the ship, food menus, and a chat application (for use with our teen and much easier to use than the Wave Phones) was convenient too. My parents (seniors) enjoyed it too!

The wifi onboard is free for use with their app. It has its own network.

OliveMcFly

We found it very helpful on our last DCL cruise since the Personal Navigator was on our phone and we never needed to get extra copies of the printed version. Having a map of the ship, food menus, and a chat application (for use with our teen and much easier to use than the Wave Phones) was convenient too. My parents (seniors) enjoyed it too!

This is one of my favorite features on the ship. The kids and I could text so I knew where they were and where to meet them. I was on Celebrity back in December and not having an electronic form of activities was frustrating. Just another reason I love DCL.

Phonedave

Not to mention that at least DCL charges an arm and a leg for Wifi service while on-board. They'd have to provide some kind of ship-local Wifi service if they intended to utilize a smart phone app.

This is one of my favorite features on the ship. The kids and I could text so I knew where they were and where to meet them. I was on Celebrity back in December and not having an electronic form of activities was frustrating. Just another reason I love DCL.

As was said, they just need to create a walled garden with the WiFi so that you can use the app and nothing else.

I do see how the texting can be useful, those wave phones are a pain, but as for having a map, schedule, menu, etc. I would much rather stick a piece of paper in my pocket and not worry about loosing it, getting it wet, crushing it, or having it stolen (and guess what, it also works while ashore!) than having to use my phone.Maybe it is me, but I have busted more cell phones over the last 20 years or so than I care to remember.I don't abuse them either, they just dont last.

Now for something that changes dynamically, like ride wait times in the parks, then I am all for using an app

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom