Caribbean Beach with construction vs. Swan and Dolphin

Mommychef4

Original Poster
Looks like we have the choice between Caribbean beach resort and the Dolphin/Swan resort. With the vast amount of construction going on at CB would you pass on it for a mid June 2018 visit or will it be no big deal? Would like to keep all the perks of a Disney resort but am worried about the construction making the trip less enjoyable.

correcaminos

I admit it price isn't a consideration I would pick Swan and Dolphin over CBR any day. That's not even including any possible issues with construction. What perks would you miss the most with staying at the Swalphin?

Mommychef4

Original Poster
My MIL has lots of travel points we can redeem for rooms at the Swalphin which I'm thinking is the smart move. I was worried not having the convenience of charging to magic bands and the 180+10 dining reservations would make it difficult for the few character meals I want to set up because there will be 8 of us. Thoughts? I do know the Swalphin just had a major renovation which is even more appealing and the location seems amazing.

WDW_Jon

My MIL has lots of travel points we can redeem for rooms at the Swalphin which I'm thinking is the smart move. I was worried not having the convenience of charging to magic bands and the 180+10 dining reservations would make it difficult for the few character meals I want to set up because there will be 8 of us. Thoughts? I do know the Swalphin just had a major renovation which is even more appealing and the location seems amazing.

Swolphin location alone even before construction completed and the gondola installed makes it a clear winner for me...
Also you can still link magic bands to your park ticket and room as far as I’m aware and chargers stuff as elsewhere. Only difference being you would still have a separate room key card to get in their rooms...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You do get the 180 days for dining reservations, but I am not sure about the +10.

correcaminos

What places were you thinking of going to? I admit I never do dining more than a few weeks in advance, let alone 180 (or +10). So unless it is super duper crazy hard, I wouldn't let that get you. To me the charging wouldn't be an issue, but I always carry my credit card with me just in case.

So honestly with the points and such unless these are absolute deal breakers for you, I'd stay at the Swalphin without hesitating at all. Totally up to you, but my thought is the location and how beautifully appointed the rooms are trumps a stay at CBR. I can't tell you how many time I'd choose that over a Disney resort if it came to that or a moderate. Disney trips in general are what you want to make of them and to me that location is really that worth it to maybe have it a tiny bit harder to book a dining reservation.

Mommychef4

Original Poster
I'd like to snag a BOG reservation and maybe a tusker house character meal lunch reservation...I think my In laws will love the grandeur of BOG and the 3 year old needs a character meal with mickey and friends I'm just not a huge fan of Chef mickeys. I wish garden grove had characters for lunch.

correcaminos

I'd like to snag a BOG reservation and maybe a tusker house character meal lunch reservation...I think my In laws will love the grandeur of BOG and the 3 year old needs a character meal with mickey and friends I'm just not a huge fan of Chef mickeys. I wish garden grove had characters for lunch.
I've had good luck getting BOG after the fact. We do it only for lunch though now Skipper Canteen gets our vote since I find BOG very noisy. There are reservation finders (Touring Plans and MouseDining) that can be used if it is really important

I'd pick Tusker House over Chef Mickey myself. I am not a fan either (don't like the noise or did really). Personally I'd still go for Swan and see what I get at 180 days.

Mommychef4

Original Poster
I've had good luck getting BOG after the fact. We do it only for lunch though now Skipper Canteen gets our vote since I find BOG very noisy. There are reservation finders (Touring Plans and MouseDining) that can be used if it is really important

I'd pick Tusker House over Chef Mickey myself. I am not a fan either (don't like the noise or did really). Personally I'd still go for Swan and see what I get at 180 days.

We did really like skipper canteen last time. Have you every been to the new character meal at Boardwalk with rapunzel and flynn? or heard anything about it?

correcaminos

We did really like skipper canteen last time. Have you every been to the new character meal at Boardwalk with rapunzel and flynn? or heard anything about it?
No we haven't been... it had just opened between our last two trips, and we're kind of out of the 'character meal' phase now. Good thing too because all of us are now adult prices for buffets :eek:

That said I've known a few people who have gone and they just *loved* it! Food they said was good and great character interaction. I wish it had been opened for our March trip because we would've tried it then I think.

Mommychef4

Original Poster
No we haven't been... it had just opened between our last two trips, and we're kind of out of the 'character meal' phase now. Good thing too because all of us are now adult prices for buffets :eek:

That said I've known a few people who have gone and they just *loved* it! Food they said was good and great character interaction. I wish it had been opened for our March trip because we would've tried it then I think.

I'm trying to avoid too many character meals because two of the four kids are adult price now. :( However, we did not take them to any character meals our first trip so I'd like to do a couple. If I can score a BOG for lunch I'll take it over paying full price. I'm thinking we could walk to the character meal at the trattoria for breakfast pretty easy one morning before Epcot which would be ideal and would maybe appeal to the older boys. Tusker house will mostly be fore the 3 year old and me and their Nonna. :p

This has all been really helpful! We scored one of the dolphin rooms for 6 nights totally free with my MIL's travel points! totally worth it!

correcaminos

I'm trying to avoid too many character meals because two of the four kids are adult price now. :( However, we did not take them to any character meals our first trip so I'd like to do a couple. If I can score a BOG for lunch I'll take it over paying full price. I'm thinking we could walk to the character meal at the trattoria for breakfast pretty easy one morning before Epcot which would be ideal and would maybe appeal to the older boys. Tusker house will mostly be fore the 3 year old and me and their Nonna. :p

This has all been really helpful! We scored one of the dolphin rooms for 6 nights totally free with my MIL's travel points! totally worth it!
Adult prices for kids that aren't eating a ton hurts doesn't it? Do your best with BOG. Remember you can try it for smaller groups too especially at lunch. We've added in people by doing parties of one or 2 at similar times and had it work. I've gotten it wthin a week or two and even the day of for 8. Often it's there the night before so people do cancel.

I think your other plans sound pretty good too. I don't think any of those are super hard to get at 180 instead of +10. At least not from what my friends state. I help a lot with planning even though I rarely plan that far out LOL

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You could also take a look at Coronado if your budget is not flexible. Seems like the construction is minimal at the moment and the rooms are getting a face-lift, so thats a bonus.

TXDisney

The Swan and Dolphin I think is the best deal in all of WDW. Moderate prices sometimes even below $200/night. With a deluxe location. Only thing you don't get is magic bands (but we have like 5 each) and no transportation to and from the airport. And I believe the Swan and Dolphin offer a round trip $75 deal (we normally just uber).

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The Swan and Dolphin I think is the best deal in all of WDW. Moderate prices sometimes even below $200/night. With a deluxe location. Only thing you don't get is magic bands (but we have like 5 each) and no transportation to and from the airport. And I believe the Swan and Dolphin offer a round trip $75 deal (we normally just uber).
Thats been my go to for years but taking a look at some early 2018 rates and wow they are aggressive. I can't find a room in January or February for less than 300 bucks a night after all taxes and fees, plus add in parking. I have been vocal in the past about the Swan and Dolphin being the best value but jeez they sure have jacked up their prices.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Wasn't Disney offering a $75 gift card per night at the CBR during construction? That may be something to consider?
Yes they were but that option has long passed. That was a great deal because the rates were hovering around 150 to 175 a night so in theory you were only paying 100 bucks a night.

TXDisney

Thats been my go to for years but taking a look at some early 2018 rates and wow they are aggressive. I can't find a room in January or February for less than 300 bucks a night after all taxes and fees, plus add in parking. I have been vocal in the past about the Swan and Dolphin being the best value but jeez they sure have jacked up their prices.
Ya it's not quite the deal at that price. But you still are getting a deluxe location for not a deluxe price. Bc the YC/BC and Boardwalk are all going to me more than $300 more than likely. But I am surprised by that pricing bc that is a down season for WDW. I'd keep checking. The rates do tend to fluctuate. But any moderate Disney resort is still a great option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom