Caribbean Beach vs Port Orleans

jmp85

Original Poster
My wife and I are currently planning our next trip to WDW. We've been three times in the past 18 months, and we've stayed at the following resorts:
- Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Port Orleans Riverside
- Port Orleans French Quarter

We don't have kids and we aren't planning on spending much time at the resort. We spent time at the pools at Riverside, but with only one pool at FQ and no kids, I felt a little out of place hanging out at the pool (I'm 30). Having said that, we loved both resorts; however, it's looking like I would be able to save around $300 if we were to stay at Caribbean Beach this time around. For anyone who has stayed at both, are there any real differences I should be aware of?

Edit: We ate at Boatwright's and did not really enjoy it, so we wouldn't be doing any dining at the resort outside of a quick meal.

Minnie Mum

CBR is our second favorite mod after POFQ. I am probably one of the few who don't like POR. CBR is a bit bigger than POR, but it's manageable.

We don't pay extra for preferred rooms, but have always gotten our request for either Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51 - just a short walk over the bridge to the main building and pool. We love the theming and landscaping. We've never had a problem with the buses. And we like the food at Shutters just fine. The quiet pools are handy if you don't want to trek to the main pool.

jmp85

Original Poster
CBR is our second favorite mod after POFQ. I am probably one of the few who don't like POR. CBR is a bit bigger than POR, but it's manageable.

We don't pay extra for preferred rooms, but have always gotten our request for either Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51 - just a short walk over the bridge to the main building and pool. We love the theming and landscaping. We've never had a problem with the buses. And we like the food at Shutters just fine. The quiet pools are handy if you don't want to trek to the main pool.

Thanks for the advice! We also aren't bothered much by large resorts. The extra walking and bus time is probably more of an issue I would imagine if you are responsible for little ones! I'm also a big fan of the "quiet" pools.

My wife and I seem like rare birds for preferring Riverside over FQ! Riverside just seems to have a more calm, secluded feeling than FQ. They are both great, however!

R W B

Thanks for the advice! We also aren't bothered much by large resorts. The extra walking and bus time is probably more of an issue I would imagine if you are responsible for little ones! I'm also a big fan of the "quiet" pools.

My wife and I seem like rare birds for preferring Riverside over FQ! Riverside just seems to have a more calm, secluded feeling than FQ. They are both great, however!
You sure you're not mixing up Riverside and FQ lol? We're checking into FQ on Thursday, it'll be our 2nd time there. We like it because atleast to us FQ seems much more secluded and cozy then other resorts we've been too.

As far as pool side goes, im 29, my wife is 27 and I couldn't care less how we look without kids lol.

I suggest the Cabins if you can swing it. These are our favorite. We're starting here on Tuesday before going to FQ.

indyumd

My wife and I are currently planning our next trip to WDW. We've been three times in the past 18 months, and we've stayed at the following resorts:
- Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Port Orleans Riverside

We don't have kids and we aren't planning on spending much time at the resort. We spent time at the pools at Riverside, but with only one pool at FQ and no kids, I felt a little out of place hanging out at the pool (I'm 30). Having said that, we loved both resorts; however, it's looking like I would be able to save around $300 if we were to stay at Caribbean Beach this time around. For anyone who has stayed at both, are there any real differences I should be aware of?

Edit: We ate at Boatwright's and did not really enjoy it, so we wouldn't be doing any dining at the resort outside of a quick meal.

Is there a decent rate at Coronado? I liked that a lot better than CBR, and it definitely had a more adult vibe.

Minnesota disney fan

We've only stayed at POR and CSR, and loved POR. We recommended POR to friends who had stayed at CBR and loved it. They tried POR and I think they were disappointed, for some reason. They absolutely love everything about CBR, so I guess it's just individual preference?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do not care for Caribbean Beach at all. I would personally stay at a value and pocket the savings vs staying at CBR. The resort layout is far too spread out, the room decor bordered on juvenile, transportation is a pain and the on site dining is pretty meh.

If you want a change, give Coronado a whirl. It has a much more adult feel and even has a 21 and up night club.

jmp85

Original Poster
Thanks guys. It's really interesting to hear the differing opinions on each of the resorts. We ended up booking POR. I was able to move the trip back one week and get a really good price there. We love the "pool view" rooms at POR. It just has a very relaxing feel. I will definitely keep Coronado in mind. I've booked there before and ended up switching due to concerns of it being a convention resort.

Jess G

Coronado would be a million times perfect if it wasn't a convention resort. we love it there. we had a 9 night stay in November and thankfully there was only a convention the last 3 nights of our stay. We've stayed @ POFQ and CBR in the past and even considering the conventioneers we would go back to CSR in a heart beat. Not sure if you are a drinker, but the bar inside of CSR is open later than any other disney resort bars. I think until 1am .

Minnesota disney fan

Coronado would be a million times perfect if it wasn't a convention resort. we love it there. we had a 9 night stay in November and thankfully there was only a convention the last 3 nights of our stay. We've stayed @ POFQ and CBR in the past and even considering the conventioneers we would go back to CSR in a heart beat. Not sure if you are a drinker, but the bar inside of CSR is open later than any other disney resort bars. I think until 1am .

We have stayed at CSR once too and loved the atmosphere. However, it was too big for us an not"disney" enough for us.
We never even noticed conventioneers at all, but we don't drink alcohol so didn't go to the bars. Never had a problem with them at all.

Jess G

We have stayed at CSR once too and loved the atmosphere. However, it was too big for us an not"disney" enough for us.
We never even noticed conventioneers at all, but we don't drink alcohol so didn't go to the bars. Never had a problem with them at all.

I agree with you and I do understand what everyone means when they say it doesn't "feel" like Disney. We don't have kids and usually travel as just a couple. If I was traveling with my niece (and one day when I travel with my future children) I will veer away from this resort for that reason. For us - I get enough of the "disney disney disney" in the parks during the day, so it doesn't bother me much. Before staying at CSR I have visited the resort and I must admit that I was not very excited about staying there. At the time CBR was my favorite moderate resort. I am happy that CSR proved me wrong :)

J_Carioca

I've been to all four of the moderates (twice to CSR and twice to CBR). I don't understand the talk about conventioneers at CSR. If anything, it's a great thing because it means fewer people using the transportation to the parks, or using the pool, etc... I truly don't understand why CSR has this negative reputation for being "too adult" and "not Disney enough". There's a topiary of the Three Caballeros, for heaven's sake.

As for the others, each has advantages:

POFQ - Riverboat to Disney Springs; small, walkable resort, only one bus stop
POR - lovely theming; better food options
CBR - nice theming and landscaping; QS and table service restaurants

It all depends on what your priorities are...

drwadadli

- Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Port Orleans Riverside

If it was us, we would pick POR. If you don't like the food at Boatwright's, then you can take the boat taxi from POR to Disney Springs and enjoy all the restaurants Disney Spring have to offer. You can't do that if you are staying at the Caribbean Beach. So for us, POR gives you more options that CB

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom