Career at Animal Kingdom?

SpectroPhoenix

Original Poster
Hi, I'm a Sophomore from the University of Florida and I'm studying Zoology.

Obviously I love Disney or else I wouldn't be on these boards, so my real goal is to use my future degree in zoology to help me find myself a career working in Animal Kingdom. Does anybody have any experience in this area that could help me out? I'm not exactly sure how one would come across a job at Animal Kingdom, what kind of jobs exist, or even what the qualifications needed actually are.

So yeah, any help would be greatly welcome and thanks!

SeaBreeze

I would definitely say to apply for a professional internship... there were quite a few PIs I met from AK during my internship and they LOVED it. Disney comes to our career fair (Go Gators!) every semester so definitely check them out and talk to them in the fall... that's how I got my PI. In the meantime, you can do things like work for a vet or animal shelter to boost your resume :)

SpectroPhoenix

Original Poster
Thank you both for the suggestions, those links were really helpful :)
Unfortunately I'm lame and am afraid to leave UF for a semester for an internship in Disney, but hopefully I'll do it for a summer.
Does anyone have any idea of how Animal kingdom hires? As in I've heard that they look for people over at the Santa Fe zoo over in gainesville, but I wasn't sure.

Thank again for all the help :)

Captain Hank

For most permanent animal-based positions, Disney looks for significant experience in the field (years). I would highly recommend doing a Professional Internship with Animal Programs. Depending on your department, you may be able to secure a semester's/quarter's credit for the internship. It's a way to get in the door, and has the potential to lead to full employment in the future. One other option is to do an internship immediately after you graduate. You are eligable for most Professional Internships up to one year after your graduation date.

SeaBreeze

Thank you both for the suggestions, those links were really helpful :)
Unfortunately I'm lame and am afraid to leave UF for a semester for an internship in Disney, but hopefully I'll do it for a summer.
Does anyone have any idea of how Animal kingdom hires? As in I've heard that they look for people over at the Santa Fe zoo over in gainesville, but I wasn't sure.

Thank again for all the help :)

I know how you feel about leaving for a semester... I was definitely there. However, in the grand scheme of things, just remember that it's only four months you're missing. I decided it was worth missing a spring semester to do something that I've always wanted to do but it's definitely an individual decision. I do recommend that you still talk to WDW when they come to the career fairs. A PI is definitely one of the best things you can do and it never hurts to talk and try to interview. They have summer internships and getting your name out there ASAP will only help :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom