Captain EO to return to Disneyland, EPCOT maybe?

DisneyNut2007

So far, it's just going to DL. TDO doesn't want to pay for it here. I'm not sure I blame them.

TDO doesn't want to seem to pay for anything ever??? What's with them. Don't they know it costs money to upgrade and make the parks better!! It's so frusturating we always hear that. or budgets being reduced leaving us with a less then perfect attraction.:mad:

You folks REALLY need to stop demonizing TDO!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

imagineer boy

The only part of Captain Eo I thought was cool was the cool look of the Supreme Leader. Everything else is incredibly cheesy and dated and doesn't belong at Epcot right now.

EPCOT Explorer

So far, it's just going to DL. TDO doesn't want to pay for it here. I'm not sure I blame them.

Captain Eo was fun ... for the 80s. And I understand all the MJ fans seem to want to see it again.

But Disney shouldn't be about recycling the magic ... it should be about creating new magic. And that pavilion needs it ... badly.

Why would they have to pay for THEIR stuff?:confused:

I do agree on the "new magic", though...JII needs imagination. But it would be a nice tribute to MJ, for a year or so.

The Conundrum

The best scenario is

Phase 1: Replace HISTA with Captain EO. Destroy Imagination Institute theme

Phase 2: Dreamfinder

Phase 3: Replace EO with something brand new

;)

It would literally be like segwaying back to the 80s/90s and then going down a different (better) path then the one Disney took

apatten22

Have any of you actually watched the Youtube version of this garbage. I remember it when I was a kid. Heck, my wife actually has the album. (albums are those giant like cds made from vinyl kids...you know back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). It was entertaining for it's time but VERY outdated now and not worth the effort it would take to reprogram the theater and refurb it for a limited run at EPCOT. I would rather wait for a quality production to be made utilizing a true Disney creation like Figment or Dreamfinder.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstW05bDiQU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Zt-57Cg0U&NR=1

You be the judge.

The Conundrum

Have any of you actually watched the Youtube version of this garbage. I remember it when I was a kid. Heck, my wife actually has the album. (albums are those giant like cds made from vinyl kids...you know back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). It was entertaining for it's time but VERY outdated now and not worth the effort it would take to reprogram the theater and refurb it for a limited run at EPCOT. I would rather wait for a quality production to be made utilizing a true Disney creation like Figment or Dreamfinder.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstW05bDiQU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Zt-57Cg0U&NR=1

You be the judge.

Excellent Film. It's like the sci fi version of Jim Henson's Labyrinth and Dark Crystal. Are those movies dated? maybe in your opinion

Animaniac93-98

Concerning Captain EO's apparent "datedness", has their ever been a press release stating that everything tech related will be using c.1986 equipment? What if the film prints were scanned at 4 or 8k resolution, restored in HD (the films is only 17 minutes and although consits of multiple layers would not take as long as a feature legnth film would to restore) and shown with a digital projector (an investment for future shows)? What if the fog machines, lazers and what not were new and not ones taken out of some guys dusty old closet?

I agee that Captain EO should not run for long, but for a year would it be so terrible? Even if the investment for a high quality restoration was questioned, coud it not be put to DVD/Blu-ray?

I say let EO have it's "plussed-up" return and then let's get something new in the Magic Eye Theater.

And finally, what did any show in that theatre ever have to do with a practical/educational look at the future again?

EPCOT Explorer

Captain Eo was fun ... for the 80s. And I understand all the MJ fans seem to want to see it again.

But Disney shouldn't be about recycling the magic ... it should be about creating new magic. And that pavilion needs it ... badly.

The best scenario is

Phase 1: Replace HISTA with Captain EO. Destroy Imagination Institute theme

Phase 2: Dreamfinder

Phase 3: Replace EO with something brand new

;)

It would literally be like segwaying back to the 80s/90s and then going down a different (better) path then the one Disney took

Phase 3 is wrong, though....The theater would have to go away to let DF in.;)

EPCOT Explorer

Concerning Captain EO's apparent "datedness", has their ever been a press release stating that everything tech related will be using c.1986 equipment? What if the film prints were scanned at 4 or 8k resolution, restored in HD (the films is only 17 minutes and although consits of multiple layers would not take as long as a feature legnth film would to restore) and shown with a digital projector (an investment for future shows)? What if the fog machines, lazers and what not were new and not ones taken out of some guys dusty old closet?

I agee that Captain EO should not run for long, but for a year would it be so terrible? Even if the investment for a high quality restoration was questioned, coud it not be put to DVD/Blu-ray?

I say let EO have it's "plussed-up" return and then let's get something new in the Magic Eye Theater.

And finally, what did any show in that theatre ever have to do with a practical/educational look at the future again?
Yes, the new JII ride.:lookaroun:lol:

drew81

I understand everyone's feelings about the allegations made against Michael. Some fully believe these are true and some don't. All I want to say is that there have been other celebrities featured in Disney attractions that have made questionable comments and behaviour. Jeffrey Jones in Alien Encounter and Michael Richards are a couple off of the top of my head. Obviously, Alien Encounter is gone but Michael Richards is still in Universe of Energy.

I would love to see Captain EO come back to Epcot. Do I think it will....no I don't. It would be nice for MJ fans and WDW fans but perhaps the proper place is Disneyland because of Michael's love for the original park. Ok enough rambling for me.

EPCOT Explorer

If/when they finally greenlight the Imagination redo it will use the original ride building. The Magic Eye theather will be used for a new film based attraction (the movie will be phase two opening a few years after the darkride).

Not what I have head, though, admittedly, that all can change.:wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Well I heard it straight from someone who works with WDI. That fantasy rumor about using the whole pavillion as one big ride sounds like something a 12 year old would make up

Okay.:wave:

I think that the theater plan is a good one. Better than what they have now, and it gives greater length to a ride that greatly needs it. Shoehorning a potential feast for the imagination with Dreamfinder onto the current ride track makes no sense.

Martin seems to think so, too. And so does my source.:wave::shrug:

The Conundrum

Okay.:wave:

I think that the theater plan is a good one. Better than what they have now, and it gives greater length to a ride that greatly needs it. Shoehorning a potential feast for the imagination with Dreamfinder onto the current ride track makes no sense.

Martin seems to think so, too. And so does my source.:wave::shrug:

I didnt know you had a "source" :rolleyes::lol:

Martin also heard that SSE's descent wasnt finished and that they would be adding more to it and bringing back Tomorrow's Child which the second I heard it sounded like a fantasy. I trust Martin but I think his source isn't that great for up to the minute info.

What I would imagine they are going to do, and this is my own speculation, is go back and reuse the FULL ride building this time. Not necessarily the same tracklayout with the turntable but just fully use the building (that means getting rid of that imageworks at the end of the ride and the bigass queue area). There was also a rumor on this site that it would use the upstairs imageworks area too which would be kinda cool. Though i'd prefer it if it stayed the imageworks and just let guests up there.

majortom1981

I think hista should stay as long as figment stays the way it is. Hista fits in with the whole imagineering institute thing and if captain eo goes in that spot then the whole pavillion would be a hodgepodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom