Cape may dinner, yay or nay?

kasey1988

Original Poster
I've been throwing the idea of cape May dinner around. We are huge fans of sea food and live on the atlantic coast so have access to fresh seafood regularly. How is the food at cape may? Do they have Oreo Bon bons back?
I'm worried we may be let down with the quality of sea food but we had some families tell us how great it was. Any input??

luv

I don't eat seafood, but people who do have repeatedly said they don't like that buffet.

Still, if you want to try it, you should go and make up your own mind!

KeithVH

I would say no. After years and years, we finally got around to trying dinner there and were definitely not impressed. I don't think the layout is the best for the crowds they do get and the food is fairly basic. I grew up east coast fishing the gulf stream so I appreciate the variety and taste of a lot of seafood. This place ain't that. Fulton's or Flying Fish are the only ones that come close on property. I hate to say it but I think some of the positive reviews are only more reflective of quantity than quality. People get a lot and think it means they got their money's worth.

zurgandfriend

I have to agree with @KeithVH and say nay to Cape May. I grew up and now live in New England and we also have very good seafood. Fulton's, Flying Fish or the Blue Zoo are all better places to have seafood at WDW.

s&k'smom

I'm going to say yay! We had dinner there last October 25th and loved it. Food was good, fresh and well attended too. However the service was beyond good it was great. We had one waitress and she unfortunately was a bit overwhelmed and a fellow server stepped into to give her a hand. Being in customer service I really appreciated someone helping out someone else so kindly. The special request for DS was handled awesome (he only eats french fries and vanilla ice cream) and you should have scene the amounts they brought him. It was a lovely evening and we even noticed a couple who were obviously regulars and being treated like royalty.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As much as my DW loves snow crab and that we've enjoyed it on previous trips , I'd have to currently give it a thumbs down based on our experience on December the 9th. Management has slipped at this location.

Nothing like paying northwards of a hundred dollars for two people just to be put in a crowded overflow room to the right of the cold dessert area to alienate this customer. There were sections unoccupied in the regular seating area so it was plainly a "lets cram as many people through the line as possible to maximize our profits"

Desserts are currently few and far between.. a pale shade of what they were in previous years. As many will remember there use to be two baked goods carts at the front to compliment the cold bar. Those went away in 2011. Now there are ~ 4 cold items usually a custard, a cheesecake , a strawberry parfait, and a random other thing. Baked is limited to what they're calling a Blondie Brownie (it looks like a normal brownie to me) and mass produced cookies.

strtrek

Not the best seafood buffet we have been to...service was poor, food choices not too good and it was an expensive meal. We wont be back

Phonedave

There is only one restaruant that I have ever made my mind up not to go back to based on one visit - and it is Cape May. Nothing at all redeeming about the place.

Copying my comments from another thread

I ate there Jan 9, 2011 after the marathon and thought it was by far the worst meal I have ever had in easily over 50 table service dinners I have had at WDW.

For you reading pleasure, it is reproduced below.

I had thought long about where to eat post marathon. I was going to expend 3,500+ calories running that morning - I needed a buffet in order not to go broke. A combination of places that were booked and places I did not want to eat at steered me to Cape May Cafe

Adult Dinner - $32.99
Blue Moon Beer - $5.75

This is now officially, in my book, the worst place to eat in WDW. When I entered the hostess gave me a rundown of the place, part of which was "of course over here is our dessert bar, which is the best part" that should have been a tip off from square one. My server disappeared for long stretches of time. When I ordered a beer, she took my water away. I then drank the beer, but she was nowhere to be found to either order another one or to get water.

Crab legs were ok, but nothing to write home about

Peel and eat shrimp - I understand the peel your own concept. Saves on costs and prevents patrons from gorging themselves. But could you at least de-vein them? Me, I eat anything, and have no problems ingesting a shrimps p00p-pipe, but really, any restaurant that serves shrimp with the veins still in needs to question its operation.

Overcooked rubbery PEI mussels that were the smallest I have ever seen, and tasted nothing like any PEI mussel I have ever had.

The fish was harder and drier than the table I was sitting at.

Clams have sand. I understand that. These had more sand than clam. I think I ground the enamel off my teeth. They are also NOT steamers, they are hard shell clams. There is a difference.

The ribs were just like my mother used to make when I was a kid. My mom made horrible ribs. You had to wrestle the meat off the bone.

Some highlights - the mashed potatoes were very good. - OK thats about it.

Then moving on to dessert - remember this is the best part. Utter dreck. Overly sweet, clearly pre-frozen and defrosted, some still with ice crystals. Items that had a crust were sogged out.

I ate a load of food because I was hungry, but really, it was not a place I want to ever go to again.

Plate 1
232323232%7Ffp733%3C2%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D33658849%3A9348nu0mrj

Plate 2
232323232%7Ffp733%3B8%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D336588%3A766348nu0mrj

Plate 3
232323232%7Ffp733%3C3%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D33658849%3B5348nu0mrj

Dessert Plate
232323232%7Ffp733%3A5%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D336588%3A767348nu0mrj

JillC LI

Our family LOVED dinner at Cape May last December. Service was good, food selections were extensive, crab legs were delicious and so was everything else we sampled. There was plenty for the kids to enjoy even though they don't eat seafood. Only the dessert options were limited, but by the time we were ready for dessert, you could have rolled all of us out of the the way we had stuffed our faces! lol This was a definite repeat for us. (To give you an idea of other places we like, some of our faves are 'Ohana, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown Pub, plus Kona Cafe for breakfast.

popcenturylover

We ate here the 1st week of this month. Not a big seafood fan here but, I thought that this buffet was pretty good. My husband on the other hand loves seafood said that they don't have enough offerings in that department. Must try the flourless chocolate cake! YUM!!!

Lucky

When we went they didn't have the crab legs.

We thought it was OK, but not something high on our list to go back to.

Bairstow

Hmm. Hadn't eaten here since I was a middle schooler (and loved it), but from what I'm hearing it's certainly not worth it.

Can anyone compare it to some of the giant "calabash" seafood buffets found along the Carolina coasts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom