Can't decide between Coronado and Port Orleans Riverside

Duranfam3

Original Poster
I will be going to Disney with my husband and 11-year-old son around Thanksgiving time. I am working with a Disney travel agent who highly does not recommend Coronado springs. I have looked up Coronado Springs and my whole entire family thinks it's beautiful. She is suggesting Port Orleans Riverside. I want to make the right decision and I feel like she has a lot of experience and knows what she's talking about so I'm torn! She said that Coronado Springs is a convention hotel and not kid friendly my son is 11 and doesn't need babyish things but not kid friendly does that mean a whole bunch of drunk adults everywhere? help I'm confused!

DisneyGigi

I adore Coronado. Never felt the convention aspect at all. This will be our 3rd stay there. The Invictus games are going on while there, this upcoming trip so may be a bit more crowded than we are used to, but again, we love it! Great place to wander around and watch the fireworks, and if you drive like we do, really close and easy to get to the parks. Cabanas are our favorite spot, more relaxed, yet still close to main pool. :)

Buzz2001

Coronado! I love the feel of being on a WDW vacation and also the feel of being on a Mexican vacation at the same time. The resort is beautifully landscaped and when lit up at night is awesome. The main pool is terrific and has the largest hot tup on WDW property and the 2nd longest slide. We also love the non shared transportation with quick rides to all the parks.

ryguy

Both are nice, but since you have an 11 old son, Coronado hands down. Pool slide is much better. I have two boys 12 and 9 and they said Coronado is there favorite because of the pool. The rooms were recently renovated in the last couple of years, which is a bonus.

Truthfully for many years I had a negative opinion on the Coronado, I didn't like the theme. Went when it first opened, vowed to never go back. When I moved to Florida, I decided to give it a try since I now have kids and the price was right. Now it's one of our families favorites.

I bet you travel planner hasn't stayed there in awhile. She is right that it is a convention hotel, but I have never experienced a problem with drunk convention people. The Floridian, Contemporary, and Yacht and Beach are also convention hotels, never really heard of a drunk problem at these hotels either. I am sure it happens but I wouldn't let that affect your decision.

Both resorts are great, so your good :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Me just for personal taste I love Riverside. When all things are equal that is where we stay. I was on guard with all the negative things I heard here and there about Coronado the first time I HAD to stay there instead of Riverside due to Cast Member restrictions the week I was going down to visit my son. I was in awe of the lobby when I arrived and the flip side of the main buildings around the lake and the tables around to eat in the morning. We were at the farthest point back which was a pain again due to Cast restrictions each time. It didn't matter though with the busses only heading to main building. I have yet to stay at Coronado again since they changed their QS options, I didn't care for the crowds in the tiny take out area or the QS dining indoor area since then so I'd ask for opinions on how all that has improved, I hope for the better. I heard that in the pool area there was beverage mug refills added in the early morning hours for coffee, tea and sodas which would have helped being so far back in the resort for us. I'd look into that too. The resort and pool areas were amazing, loved the small one outside our resort and I used the laundry area right outside our building by pool a couple times because we unfortunately got soaked in the park a few times.

Riverside I just love. My kids grew up staying at POR for the day that resort opened as Dixie Landings. I favor the Mansions and am not a fan of the Princess Rooms. Too much for me. I like their QS offerings and table area better and I really like their lounge area and show so much more than Coronado. The bonus of the Port Orleans resorts right now is the Ferry Boats heading to Disney Springs or buses. The boat lines though do get long for the boats and sometimes you are waiting 3-4 boats to head to Disney Springs but it a lovely trip down the river (chilly at night) We have never had an issue with shared buses but it does happen but not with the Magic Kingdom and the French Quarter only has one stop so it is a quick detour.

I like the landscaping and accents better at POR over choices at Coronado but that is such a personal thing. I would highly recommend either moderate, just the pro and cons I've found with both. You would be happy at Coronado I'm sure. If you do decide to go to Coronado please visit @Buzz2001 website, it is linked in his signature. Buzz was so helpful to me the first time I HAD to stay at Coronado and I was apprehensive. He has so many tips loaded into his website you'll walk into knowing everything you need to know and how to best navigate the Coronado and so many amazing photos.

Parrain

Both resorts are beautiful and if you get on the outskirts of either one you will have a long hike to the main lobby. I would say it is a personal choice. I will say that I have sometimes found the Swan and Dolphin to have rates similar to what is offered at the moderates and I would prefer to stay at the Swan and Dolphin over any moderate, unless I have small children with me who want the Disney immersion. I like being on the boardwalk and also being able to walk into Epcot or take a boat ride to Hollywood Studios.

Minnesota disney fan

I understand your dilemma. We have stayed at both resorts, so here's my insite to them.

Like you, we looked at Coronado Springs and felt it was a very beautiful, interesting place. So we booked, just hubby and me, and it was a beautiful place. We stayed in cabana bldg. 3 and the courtyard was beautiful with a lovely fountain, tropical plants. The rooms were spacious and clean. However, we felt it was too large for us. Our cabana was closest to the main bldg. and it was quite a trek to it. We were not fans of their Peppermill food court. Maybe it has changed, but it was too complicated a place for us. You would order at various stations and get receipts at each which the waitress had to figure out. It was never an easy in and out type of place for us. I have heard it is changed for the better now though. Never used the pools, but the main pool was Way across the lake from us anyway.

Then we stayed at POR and loved it. We stay close to the main bldg. We love Alligator Bayou because of it's secluded walkways, bridges, tropical atmosphere, quiet pools, boat to DS, and their great food court. For your son, the arcade is the largest in WDW. There are carriage rides available too, and bikes to rent.

I don't agree with your TA trying to persuade you for and against Coronado. It all depends on what it is that YOU want to experience. Both resorts are beautiful.

As a side note, we never encountered any drunken, unruly guests while at Coronado. Never could tell it was even a convention hotel at all. The rooms were probably nicer because of that? Good luck and have fun:)

Amos1784

We stayed at Coronado during Free Dining just because the Port Orleans resorts were not available and we stated that we would never stay there again. The resort is "Fine", and is pretty and peaceful to walk around. It was my husband and myself and we do utilize the buses, they were AWFUL. There were many times when the bus would just continue past our stop because it was already full, and we would wait 45 mins.-1 hour for the bus (People were literally flagging buses down and running after them, crazy). Maybe this was an off time for them as I like to give Disney the benefit of the doubt most the time but it was awful. Pepper Market is OK, Maya Grill was actually very good, and there are bars/lounges but with a kid I am not sure how much you would be using them. We stayed Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside and absolutely loved both. Great themes, good pools, Yeehaw Bob at Riverside, Boat to Disney Springs and so on and so on. Stay at Riverside, you will not regret it ;)

Bairstow

Bit of a tossup, as they're both excellent.
I would think your kid would probably find the Mexican theme of Coronado (especially at the Dig Site) more interesting than the Old South vibe at Dixie Landings.
If you want to get away from the convention-y side of Coronado just book into the Ranchos or Cabanas sections.

Epcot82Guy

Another support post for "You won't go wrong either way". CSR may be my favorite of the Moderates. But, I'm staying at POR for my upcoming trip. Love it as well. Both resorts are a bit large, so you may have some walking depending on the building. But, they both are also very, very nice. So, it's a pleasant stroll. And, you can always take a bus to get to a somewhat closer stop to your destination (just be sure to ask the driver if he will be stopping at the main stop - since some routes start at the main lobby drop off point, others end there).

Some comparison points:
-Pool area - Coronado's is a bit more impressive to me. But, you get access to both the POR and POFQ pools at Port Orleans.

-Bathroom area - While generally the same, Coronado has sliding doors that separate the area from the main room. Port Orleans only has a curtain. Also, you get the higher level toiletries at Coronado (which really just means you get body lotion where you don't at Port Orleans).

-Area Transportation - Port Orleans has the boat ride to Disney Springs which is really nice. Coronado doesn't have any direct access. But, I've found the buses to Coronado to typically be a little less full than Port Orleans (but not by much).

Overall, you really will be in good shape either way. I would say see what deals you can find and just go with your gut reaction as a family!

Magenta Panther

I will be going to Disney with my husband and 11-year-old son around Thanksgiving time. I am working with a Disney travel agent who highly does not recommend Coronado springs. I have looked up Coronado Springs and my whole entire family thinks it's beautiful. She is suggesting Port Orleans Riverside. I want to make the right decision and I feel like she has a lot of experience and knows what she's talking about so I'm torn! She said that Coronado Springs is a convention hotel and not kid friendly my son is 11 and doesn't need babyish things but not kid friendly does that mean a whole bunch of drunk adults everywhere? help I'm confused!

I've stayed at both and they're both great. But Coronado, to me, is absolutely gorgeous, even moreso than POR, and the Maya Grill has great food. I'd stay there over POR any day.

BigRedDad

I have been to both and love them both. However, we will never stay at POR without a car again. The buses were horrible. After our first day at MK we learned to take the POFQ bus if it is a separate bus. The walk from POFQ to POR would easily save us 30-45 minutes. Unfortunately, if the bus is shared, we were stuck with long waits. On the other side, CS buses were some of the best. Always on schedule, always frequent, never overly crowded. The only bad one we had was more our fault than anything. We didn't know it was a marathon and getting to Epcot/MK was a nightmare. I would say CS is a slightly toned down SSR with a Southwest feel.

slappy magoo

I'm wondering if maybe your agent gets a bigger commission if booking Riverside...though it's probably more a matter of personal taste. Riverside has that whole old South/Tom Sawyer vibe in it. Coronado's Southwest/Mexican theme might turn off some people who find it too retirement-village-in-Arizona for their liking.

Lately all my posts make me sound like I've got issues with food, but I do like how many more dining options there are at Coronado - you'll find 2 sit-down restaurant, 3 quick serve options, 2 lounges and a slightly more robust delivery menu that includes breakfast options. Riverside has the food court, a lounge, pizza delivery with a few sandwich options (but only for dinner) and 1 sit-down restaurant (that it shares with POFQ and is also only open for dinner). If you either choose to, or need to, spend more time in your resort, it's nice to have those options.

While Coronado was indeed set up to cater to conventions, it's not like they're catering exclusively to conventions. There is a very cool pool, there is a playground, there is an arcade (Riverside's might be bigger). Riverside has more recreational options - fishing, bike rentals, boat rentals. Riverside also has boats to take you to Disney Springs, if you think you'll be spending a fair chunk of time there. Riverside rooms have two sinks, most Coronado rooms only have one (there are some club level rooms and suites at Coronado, obviously more money, but they'll have a vanity area with sink). If anyone in your family is health-conscious, Coronado is the only moderate resort with a workout room. Coronado has a salon and spa options for adults. Riverside has a "Bayou Adventure Pirate Cruise" as a 2 hour excursion (though it's an additional fee, so I'm sure anyone can book it if you stay somewhere else but have a means to get there). Riverside apparently also has a butterfly garden (never knew that), which is open to all but of course more convenient if you're staying there.

So those are the main differences. For most folks looking for a nice pool and a place to crash in between park time and/or pool time, it'll boil down to themes and tastes and availability. But if any of those other features or amenities might influence you, have at it.

Bairstow

I'm wondering if maybe your agent gets a bigger commission if booking Riverside...though it's probably more a matter of personal taste. Riverside has that whole old South/Tom Sawyer vibe in it. Coronado's Southwest/Mexican theme might turn off some people who find it too retirement-village-in-Arizona for their liking.

It's funny you should say that, because here in Tennessee, most of the nicer retirement centers look like at least one if the areas of Dixie Landings.

Maybe this speaks to a broader trend of retirement centers trying to make themselves appear more resort-like.

slappy magoo

It's funny you should say that, because here in Tennessee, most of the nicer retirement centers look like at least one if the areas of Dixie Landings.

Maybe this speaks to a broader trend of retirement centers trying to make themselves appear more resort-like.
Well it makes sense, Tennessee is closer to Louisiana than Arizona, clearly more old-South than Arizona (AZ having become a state in 1912). So there's probably a bit more sense of shared culture between TN & LA than AZ & LA.

Having said that, there's an outlet mall near where I used to live in central NJ, and when it first opened both my wife and I looked at it and basically went "wow, they cloned Saratoga Springs resort." It's clearly not that elaborate, but there is a more-than-passing resemblance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom