Canon sales decline continues

ArtificialArtist

Well i think it's a natural consequence the sales declined as they concentrated too much on the casual consumer market, trying too hard to sell cameras to people who don't see a point in carrying aroung a photobag while their cellphone does the job for them just as fine. And some smartphone cams ARE pretty good apart from the lens technology. The sensors aren't much behind what a mid-class EOS DSLR can do.
What they can't compete with, however, is the high ISO and pristine quality of the pro DSLRs

IF Canon had concentrated more on the amateur and pro markets the numbers would be different,i'm sure.

5D - got 2 updates after the mark iii was released, optimizations, but no breakthroughs. i'm still waiting for 4k Video and a higher ISO range // multi-exposure within one mirror release cycle, more modularity like the RED camera AND a wireless transmit to external storage (so nobody can delete your footage (practical for journalists)). and way more than 60 fps, all that on 4K eventually. XD
(4K with at least 60fps and ISO 128k and i'd sell even my underpants to get one or two)

1D - The latest 1D models are ok but no breakthrough new features either, imo.

They have also heavily invested in new Filmcameras to compete with RED and the other companies, but i think they totally missed (and still miss) the opportunity to put all that into a mindblowing 1D and 5D instead. I still use a 5D mark II and the reason i bought it was the ability to capture film AND take pictures without having to carry two separate gears with lenses.

EDIT: just thinking of this, i would like to see a feature where you get a more interactive settings scenario. i always have 3 exposure setups on the available wheels custom slots. Outside, inside, and Low-light. I then usually quickly adjust them to the situation. However, imagine you could go through your recent videos or photos and grab the settings from the footage. Things like that would sweeten up the package, for me at least

Last edited:

KeithVH

You know, ever since the days when 1MP camera was THE big thing and cost $700, the community has collectively complained the sensor can't match film. Now we're getting to the point where some sensors are making serious quality inroads against that benchmark (at least for most people), and now we're focused on glass and systems?

L glass is L glass for multiple reasons, none of which are compatible the way companies are marketing mirrorless to the consumer segment. Even if Canon COULD make a 300/2.8 in a size equivalent to a mirrorless body, I doubt anyone could afford it. And trying to cram all the capabilities of a DSLR into a smaller package is going to result in sacrifices.

What is it? Size? IQ? What's the driver here? I've just decided recently I can't deal with the loss of my lenses and system investment to move to mirrorless. Maybe when I retire and just take snapshots . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom