Cancelling WDW trip

dave&di

Original Poster
My OH found out last Sept that he was going to be made redundant May 2015. We had planned to do 10 days at WDW, 7 days at Uni,Seaworld etc and the 7 days at Clearwater. We do this every 2 years. Being optimistic we booked our WDW trip anyway, 10 nights at the WL our favourite resort, the rest we would play by ear and see how the year went.

As the months have gone by we've not spoken about it, probably for the obvious reason of not facing reality. The other day I realised our trip would be only 5 months away, we haven't planned or booked the other trips or even saved. My OH hasn't got another job lined up.

I've continued to research what's happening at WDW, what's in refurb, etc. I've still been following relevant WDW Twitter and web sites and when needing a boost I've searched Amazon for Disney t-shirts etc for the trip. As we had booked the WDW trip I thought we had paid it.

I bit the bullet the other day and asked him if he still thought we were going, he didn't say the word "no" but everything he said meant "no". "We'll try next year", we'll go somewhere else here in the UK" blah blah. As it happens we have only paid the deposit and he's willing to let it go.

When he realised how upset I was he now says "stay positive, we'll see what happens". But in my heart I know we can't possibly save the money we need in 5 months especially as he has no definate job to go to.

My only true happiness in WDW and Florida related things. Life is tough and generally depressing for me but WDW was always the thing that kept me positive, my home is full of past WDW photos and souvenirs, my social media sites all WDW related. I'm devastated this won't happen, even more so as we booked places and dates, Sept 8th I am supposed to fly to Orlando.

I have a constant lump in my throat and nothing to look forward to anymore.

dave&di

Original Poster
Awww Diane - I am so sad for you! I know you are extremely disappointed but try to think positive - there will be a lot of new things opening when you get the chance to go back (which you will)!!
Thanks, yes you're right I know, that's the practical way to look at it which at some point I will see but at the moment it's not how I feel! I will get there! :cry: Thanks for the positivity! I need to hear it but wallowing in self pity is the mood of the moment!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks, yes you're right I know, that's the practical way to look at it which at some point I will see but at the moment it's not how I feel! I will get there! :cry: Thanks for the positivity! I need to hear it but wallowing in self pity is the mood of the moment!

Just enjoying the planning and anticipation for a future trip can be a fun diversion. Even if you can't go on vacation as soon as you wanted, there will be many more vacations ahead in your future. May I suggest that you continue to frequent WDW Magic to keep up with current events and future developments. The discussion forums can be a great place to share ideas with others who appreciate and share your interests. Also, keep in mind that not everyone on the forums gets to visit WDW every year, either. There are many who might go every few years, but still maintain that happy anticipation for their next trip, whenever that may be. I wish you the very best.

CAPTAIN HOOK

There are more important things in life than a trip to Disney - despite it being the happiest place on earth.

You may crave a WDW trip but surely that money is better used to keep you going until work comes along and you can truely afford a holiday again.

Good luck on the job front - Disney will be waiting for you

Disneyhead'71

I know that right now, with the stresses and all, a Disney vacation is exactly what you need.

WDW isn't going anywhere. Tell your OH that. And hold him tight. Now is not the time. And a better time will be had and deserved (not just needed) when you guys right the boat.

dave&di

Original Poster
There are more important things in life than a trip to Disney - despite it being the happiest place on earth.

You may crave a WDW trip but surely that money is better used to keep you going until work comes along and you can truely afford a holiday again.

Good luck on the job front - Disney will be waiting for you
Yep you're right I know. Thanks. I think it'll still take a while for me to feel that but I agree!

dave&di

Original Poster
Just enjoying the planning and anticipation for a future trip can be a fun diversion. Even if you can't go on vacation as soon as you wanted, there will be many more vacations ahead in your future. May I suggest that you continue to frequent WDW Magic to keep up with current events and future developments. The discussion forums can be a great place to share ideas with others who appreciate and share your interests. Also, keep in mind that not everyone on the forums gets to visit WDW every year, either. There are many who might go every few years, but still maintain that happy anticipation for their next trip, whenever that may be. I wish you the very best.
I follow Wdwmagic on Twitter as I do many WDW sites, I'm not removing them but im swiping past them quickly at the moment! I will in time im sure have a glance! Thanks :)

dave&di

Original Poster
I know that right now, with the stresses and all, a Disney vacation is exactly what you need.

WDW isn't going anywhere. Tell your OH that. And hold him tight. Now is not the time. And a better time will be had and deserved (not just needed) when you guys right the boat.
Thanks. Wise words. I guess it's just not meant to be now. :(

Disneyhead'71

Thanks. Wise words. I guess it's just not meant to be now. :(
"Now" is fleeting. You'll be back before you know it.

You won't have the worry of looking for work hanging over your head the whole tip. You'll have a few extra dollars in your pocket. And most importantly, you can focus on each other.

I suggest, in celebration (small "c"), a couples massage at The Grand Flo.

Last edited:

rsoxguy

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Hang in there nice lady.
One of life's bottom lines involves the fact that every day is a gift from God. Look beyond this setback, enjoy each day, and look here from time to time for the stupidity that is an rsoxguy post. I do wish you well.

dave&di

Original Poster
"Now" is fleeting. You'll be back before you know it.

You won't have the worry of looking for work hanging over your head the whole tip. You'll have a few extra dollars in your pocket. And most importantly, you can focus on each other.

I suggest, in celebration (small "c"), a couples massage at The Grand Flo.
We stayed at the GF in '08, never used the Spa so that's something to think about! Life is moving fast isn't it, so what's another year and a half! It'll fly by! (I'm saying the words, at some point I'll believe it!) ;) thanks

dave&di

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Hang in there nice lady.
One of life's bottom lines involves the fact that every day is a gift from God. Look beyond this setback, enjoy each day, and look here from time to time for the stupidity that is an rsoxguy post. I do wish you well.
Bless you! You bring a tear to my eye! Thanks for the wise words but I can't promise to enjoy each day, it's not in my nature! ;)

dave&di

Original Poster
A very small silver lining... you mentioned losing your deposit but they're refundable this far in advance.
I didn't know this. BUT if we get a refund now then I know it's definitely over, if we still have it booked, in my mind there's still hope. Absolutely ridiculous I know but I can't make it official yet. Thanks for the tip though.

dave&di

Original Poster
Just wanna say all the posts have been amazing, everyone has been right and positive. I currently can't feel positive but I know in a while it won't seem so bad. Thanks for being caring and not saying "pull yourself together you idiot, it's just a vacation!!"

Thanks again ❤️❤️

NYwdwfan

I didn't know this. BUT if we get a refund now then I know it's definitely over, if we still have it booked, in my mind there's still hope. Absolutely ridiculous I know but I can't make it official yet. Thanks for the tip though.

Even as you get closer to the trip, you won't lose your deposit if you rebook for another date. I forget what the exact time frame is - I'll let you know once I find it.

dave&di

Original Poster
Even as you get closer to the trip, you won't lose your deposit if you rebook for another date. I forget what the exact time frame is - I'll let you know once I find it.
That'll be good to know, I've mentioned getting the deposit back to my OH and he's not ready mentally to do that either. Thanks

PhotoDave219

My OH found out last Sept that he was going to be made redundant May 2015. We had planned to do 10 days at WDW, 7 days at Uni,Seaworld etc and the 7 days at Clearwater. We do this every 2 years. Being optimistic we booked our WDW trip anyway, 10 nights at the WL our favourite resort, the rest we would play by ear and see how the year went.

As the months have gone by we've not spoken about it, probably for the obvious reason of not facing reality. The other day I realised our trip would be only 5 months away, we haven't planned or booked the other trips or even saved. My OH hasn't got another job lined up.

I've continued to research what's happening at WDW, what's in refurb, etc. I've still been following relevant WDW Twitter and web sites and when needing a boost I've searched Amazon for Disney t-shirts etc for the trip. As we had booked the WDW trip I thought we had paid it.

I bit the bullet the other day and asked him if he still thought we were going, he didn't say the word "no" but everything he said meant "no". "We'll try next year", we'll go somewhere else here in the UK" blah blah. As it happens we have only paid the deposit and he's willing to let it go.

When he realised how upset I was he now says "stay positive, we'll see what happens". But in my heart I know we can't possibly save the money we need in 5 months especially as he has no definate job to go to.

My only true happiness in WDW and Florida related things. Life is tough and generally depressing for me but WDW was always the thing that kept me positive, my home is full of past WDW photos and souvenirs, my social media sites all WDW related. I'm devastated this won't happen, even more so as we booked places and dates, Sept 8th I am supposed to fly to Orlando.

Sad but youre probably better saving the money and waiting until something new comes along. Attraction wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom