Cancelled Topic - Please skip - Does a Disney World Christmas really increase 300% in 3 years?

fredhag

Our family last visited Disney World Dec 18-22,2016. At that time, the price was $1744.36 for 5 days and nights at Port Orleans and that included 5 days of one park per day tickets, one room, and the quick meal plan.

The quote I just received has a price of $5932 (the person didn't state it, but I assume that includes the quick meal plan since I think that is a holiday perk). So that represents a 320% increase in exactly 3 years if I account for the extra night. Is that right? If not, did I get an amazing deal in 2016 or are prices really high this year?

wendyphant

I just priced that up from the uk using disney direct dining plan was not included so I added that at an extra cost and 14 day hopper pass (it was all that is on offer to us here) £3400 which at todays rates is $4080 so yours seems high - it may be worth trying a different travel agent or direct to disney

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Hmmmm. How many people, what ages? Have some become Disney adults in between?

And are you sure you have the same room type as you had before? Same ticket type? What kind of package did you have last time and this time?

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The price of EVERYTHING has gone up in that time.
Also you may be quoted a different room category than last time.
And POR has tended to be excluded from free dining especially for the December dates.
Not to mention that you're booking pretty late considering how close to Christmas you're booking for which is gonna leave you with more limited options.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
December 18-22, 2016 was not Christmas Week that year, it was the week prior.

You were traveling during "Peak Season," not "Holiday Season." "Holiday Season" is much more expensive than "Peak Season."

(Yes, "Peak Season" is a stupid name.)

Upvote 0

fredhag

Original Poster
Thanks all. I ended up pricing it directly and it came out the same. Also, the dates are the same from 2016 and this year (I tried a few options to get the $5400 that wendyphant got and failed - hmm maybe room types?). Regarding inflation, the cost of living has risen 14% in 3 years in the U.S. (on average) but not 300%. An agent got back with me to say they aren't doing free quick plan in as many resorts any longer so that may be part of the problem. I broke things out some by looking at tickets separately and lodging separately. The lodging had increased 230%.

Upvote 0

Touchdown

Just got the contemporary garden wing at $433 a night for a room only AP rate for the 2nd week in December which is much better then the rate I got 3 years ago for the week between Nov-Dec in 2016 ($525 a night)

The exchange rate is also hurting you, the pound sterling has taken quite a tumble lately.

Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

I don't know about 300%, but from my personal experience I can tell you factually that the rack rate cost of a Contemporary Resort Club Level Magic Kingdom view room with standard dining plan and memory maker in September 2016 was $7,720.34; while the exact same Reservation in September 2020 is $10,463.28. So that is a difference of $2742.94 or 35.53% inflation. So 35.53/4 = 8.88%/year inflation.

I don't know if that is uniform across Disney, but it does tell me that that the Contemporary Resort is roughly 9% per year inflation. Not good! This may be the last time we stay there.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks all. I ended up pricing it directly and it came out the same. Also, the dates are the same from 2016 and this year (I tried a few options to get the $5400 that wendyphant got and failed - hmm maybe room types?). Regarding inflation, the cost of living has risen 14% in 3 years in the U.S. (on average) but not 300%. An agent got back with me to say they aren't doing free quick plan in as many resorts any longer so that may be part of the problem. I broke things out some by looking at tickets separately and lodging separately. The lodging had increased 230%.
Trying to compare the cost of living increase to the price of a luxury good increase is always going to leave you with sour grapes.

A luxury good can raise the price to whatever the market will bear. As of late, the market for Disney vacations can apparently bear quite a bit.

At best, the cost of living will be the minimum such an item will increase from year to year.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom