Cancellation Policy update

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since the closure DVC have been waiving holding and returning borrowed points to their original use year when cancelling stays.

As of May 1st, the previous policies will be reinstated.

This is from the website, but buried, I had to search to find it.

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

Some of the temporary adjustments made last year to certain Disney Vacation Club policies will end April 30. Previous policies will be reinstated on May 1. Please visit the Member website for details about policies related to reservation cancelations, the borrowing and holding of Points, exchange fees and more.

As a reminder, Members who want to borrow Points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year Points per contract. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations. Learn more about these policy changes.

I read this last paragraph to mean the 50% borrowing rule is staying in place.

Link to the page, scroll to the bottom.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Makes sense, especially with the last DVC (VGC) reopening in May.
I think it’s premature.

if VGC doesn’t open as planned, anyone booking on borrowed points will have them stuck in the current year. Given that people booking at WDW will have had 9 months of being able to rebook without penalty, that kinda sucks for VGC owners.

ToTBellHop

I think it’s premature.

if VGC doesn’t open as planned, anyone booking on borrowed points will have them stuck in the current year. Given that people booking at WDW will have had 9 months of being able to rebook without penalty, that kinda sucks for VGC owners.
People who bought VGC resales for like $180/pt must’ve loved the last year...

correcaminos

I think it’s premature.

Isn't it lining up with the opening date though? I do think it has been going on quite long enough though. They may do exceptions also for extreme cases like in the pass. While I was grateful not to lose points during the shut down itself, I neber expected this to continue as long as it did. If we want the borrowing to return this aspect has to end.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't it lining up with the opening date though? I do think it has been going on quite long enough though. They may do exceptions also for extreme cases like in the pass. While I was grateful not to lose points during the shut down itself, I neber expected this to continue as long as it did. If we want the borrowing to return this aspect has to end.
I agree for WDW bookings.

But for those only just able to book VGC with their points, they have had none of that leeway other than not losing points during lockdown. If they book it’s business as usual with bookings. Even if there are quarantine rules, or the vaccine roll-out doesn’t happen, or in-person school dates change to make up for virtual home schooling etc.

I just feel bad for VGC owners. I would have liked to see the policy extended a bit longer only for those booking there, maybe only for VGC owners booking there. Give them 3 months to build confidence in returning sometime over the summer.

correcaminos

I agree for WDW bookings.

But for those only just able to book VGC with their points, they have had none of that leeway other than not losing points during lockdown. If they book it’s business as usual with bookings. Even if there are quarantine rules, or the vaccine roll-out doesn’t happen, or in-person school dates change to make up for virtual home schooling etc.

I just feel bad for VGC owners. I would have liked to see the policy extended a bit longer only for those booking there, maybe only for VGC owners booking there. Give them 3 months to build confidence in returning sometime over the summer.
I see what you are saying now. I was thinking people have been booking and canceling VGC in hopes for a long time. Maybe they'll be kind to VGC owners though I do think that here by May it will be different in how things go.

I feel for VGC but I also feel for international owners even more. You're restrictions on travel are much bigger. A lot of VGC owners at least appear to be local.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
I see what you are saying now. I was thinking people have been booking and canceling VGC in hopes for a long time. Maybe they'll be kind to VGC owners though I do think that here by May it will be different in how things go.

I feel for VGC but I also feel for international owners even more. You're restrictions on travel are much bigger. A lot of VGC owners at least appear to be local.
That’s true about international owners. I was nervous about renting my points out myself but once I did it once I realised it was easy enough to do. Hopefully I won’t need to rent any more out though. Although I’ve really given up hope for Christmas. Maybe Easter 2022. 🤞🤞🤞

correcaminos

That’s true about international owners. I was nervous about renting my points out myself but once I did it once I realised it was easy enough to do. Hopefully I won’t need to rent any more out though. Although I’ve really given up hope for Christmas. Maybe Easter 2022. 🤞🤞🤞
I am so sorry. I hope renting goes well until you can travel again!

Buck Wheelie

I've never borrowed many points from future years but a lot of people buy DVC with the plan of banking and borrowing. The 50% limit messes that up especially for some people that only have a small number of points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom