Cancellation/Change Policy

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hey y'all!

Can someone confirm the cancelation/change policy? We're going to book under my family's DVC and since I don't know exact dates yet (it's between two weeks), there's a chance we will have to change the week or a few days and want to be educated about the policy. We've researched it but we were a bit confused.

Thanks!

nickys

Premium Member
Hey y'all!

Can someone confirm the cancelation/change policy? We're going to book under my family's DVC and since I don't know exact dates yet (it's between two weeks), there's a chance we will have to change the week or a few days and want to be educated about the policy. We've researched it but we were a bit confused.

Thanks!

Are you borrowing points to book? If so, that is a final transaction and the points will need to be used in the same use year if you have to rebook. Similarly if the new time was into a new use Year, you would have to bank points first before rebooking.

Otherwise you can cancel and rebook, subject to availability of course. But the banking and borrowing are what can cause problems.

Are you the member? Remember only the member can book. It would be worth phoning member services and getting them to explain things if you're unsure.

correcaminos

Are you borrowing points to book? If so, that is a final transaction and the points will need to be used in the same use year if you have to rebook. Similarly if the new time was into a new use Year, you would have to bank points first before rebooking.

Otherwise you can cancel and rebook, subject to availability of course. But the banking and borrowing are what can cause problems.

Are you the member? Remember only the member can book. It would be worth phoning member services and getting them to explain things if you're unsure.
To clarify above - the final transaction is ONLY for changing the Use Year for the points (like borrowing from 2018 for 2017). You cannot put borrowed points back into the old use year. The reservation itself is not the final transaction.

So as long as you are in the same UY you're fine. You can even use the borrowed points first if the new reservation has lower points and then bank any unused points from the current year.

You need to keep the banking deadlines is mind more IMO than anything else if the point total will change. Otherwise the cancellation policy is at 30 days and less, any modifications or cancellations, your points go into holding and you can only be used for reservation within 60 days. You will not be able to bank or borrow any of these points and they remain in the current UY. 31 days on out there is no penalty.

Here's a link to the whole policy which I think was fairly well explained.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/holding-account/definition/

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
@nickys @helenabear Thanks guys! So generous, right? We're so thankful. Who gets a free hotel stay?! I don't think we will need to cancel or change. I'm in grad school and I am trying to work a vacation around class, internship, and other commitments for school. I'm trying to nail the dates down right the first time so we don't have an issue of having to change the trip but if we do have to, it would only by a few days or a week or two. Seems like we'd likely be able to change easily per the DVC policies/availability if need be.

Thanks again!

correcaminos

@nickys @helenabear Thanks guys! So generous, right? We're so thankful. Who gets a free hotel stay?! I don't think we will need to cancel or change. I'm in grad school and I am trying to work a vacation around class, internship, and other commitments for school. I'm trying to nail the dates down right the first time so we don't have an issue of having to change the trip but if we do have to, it would only by a few days or a week or two. Seems like we'd likely be able to change easily per the DVC policies/availability if need be.

Thanks again!
What time of year are you planning on going? Usually the biggest worry is availability. Some times of the year will be harder to book than others. Like F&WF through December is tough. So is Marathon weekend. Late winter/early spring varies depending and summer isn't usually too bad either. Studios go first and then 2 bedrooms. 1 bedrooms are the easiest to book all year :)

Just something to keep in mind when it comes to changing dates. I am grateful that our school district calendar comes out so early so we can already plan our next summer trip in a month (or more if needed). If you can do your date changing within the 7 month mark or can be sorta flexible with class & internships, then you will be fine with rebooking.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
What time of year are you planning on going? Usually the biggest worry is availability. Some times of the year will be harder to book than others. Like F&WF through December is tough. So is Marathon weekend. Late winter/early spring varies depending and summer isn't usually too bad either. Studios go first and then 2 bedrooms. 1 bedrooms are the easiest to book all year :)

Just something to keep in mind when it comes to changing dates. I am grateful that our school district calendar comes out so early so we can already plan our next summer trip in a month (or more if needed). If you can do your date changing within the 7 month mark or can be sorta flexible with class & internships, then you will be fine with rebooking.
Good point. We're looking at the teens of twenties of May. Possibly towards Memorial Day Weekend depending on some unknown school factors at the time. Should know pretty efinitively by the first day we can book. Luckily (because of our personalities and because of the generosity of my moms gift-You don't look a gift horse in the mouth!) were open to staying almost anywhere with the points (in a studio) so I'm hoping availability won't be an issue.

correcaminos

Good point. We're looking at the teens of twenties of May. Possibly towards Memorial Day Weekend depending on some unknown school factors at the time. Should know pretty efinitively by the first day we can book. Luckily (because of our personalities and because of the generosity of my moms gift-You don't look a gift horse in the mouth!) were open to staying almost anywhere with the points (in a studio) so I'm hoping availability won't be an issue.
Mid May isn't too bad, but Memorial Day this year was tough. However Avatar opened so we think that had something to do with it. Being not so picky should make it easier at least, but if you're pretty solid on the dates when you can book, then it likely won't be much of an issue. It's also easier to add a day or two than it is to do whole brand new reservations. I will say SSR is almost always available and then next OKW and AKV. The latter two are family favorites for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom