CanaDisneyland??? It could happen!

montyz81

Original Poster
1519220576473.png

Interesting blog about the possibility of a third resort in NA. http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/08/20/why-disney-should-build-its-next-park-in-toronto/
I'm not sure if it would work. I can imagine the extra costs associated with setting it up for winter attendance. If Disney were smart, they would put it next to a ski mountain, that would keep the draw all winter long. It would certainly give new meaning to Disney Skyliner Transportation, or maybe it could be called Disney Skiliner Transportation.

Astro_Digital

Never happen, but if it did first it can not be built in the City itself there is no land.
They can also to what they do for places like Canada's Wonderland open it from Spring to Fall only.

I am sure it could work.

mattdenine

Biggest hurdle is the weather, unless they offer a discounted winter ticket price it might be a hard sell as many of the outdoor rides wouldn't be operational. Canada's Wonderland for example is opened only from May to October however September and October they are only opened during the weekend.

montyz81

Original Poster
Good luck with that. Maybe in the heyday of Frozen, but not now that it has passed. ;)
Hey, if Simon can build outlet malls in winter weather locations, then Disney can build theme parks in winter locations. If I look at the rides that exist in WDW, most of them are indoors anyway. Transplant those rides with some convertable walking ways, attach it to a ski resort and you got yourself a new style theme park. Walt was going to build a ski resort anyway, so why not just take it to the next level.

J_Carioca

No, it just wouldn't work. It really is too cold. Standing in line for an hour in Florida weather is one thing, but standing in line in -15 Celsius is another. If Disney's goal is to get people to stay longer at the parks/resorts, they really have to locate them in a good climate. I love the parks, but part of the appeal of a WDW holiday for me is the chance to do Disney stuff in a beautiful location and climate. Toronto does not offer that.

All of the vegetation that you associate with a Disney park or resort would be impossible to maintain.

And to those of you that have suggested that Disney build this next to a ski mountain...Canada is not chockablock full of mountains, you know. Toronto is not exactly known as a ski destination. Also, we don't have an eternal winter up here. A ski resort-themed park would only work for about four months of the year.

drizgirl

Biggest hurdle is the weather, unless they offer a discounted winter ticket price it might be a hard sell as many of the outdoor rides wouldn't be operational. Canada's Wonderland for example is opened only from May to October however September and October they are only opened during the weekend.
Doesn't that mean they would be offering a discount ticket 9 months out of the year? ;)

Texas84

There is a Tokyo Disneyland. Tokyo experiences winter. If they can do it so can we! (Honestly I just really want a Canadian Disney World so i don't have to worry about currency exchange and flying)

Snow is rare in Tokyo. 1-2 days maybe. Paris probably gets more snow.

lazyboy97o

Weather really is not the issue. There are plenty of photos of Tokyo Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris covered in snow.

The real issue is cost. A new Disney theme park resort would cost several billions of dollars and end up with only a handful of attractions. This is why the last two projects have been majority funded, and owned, by the local government.

J_Carioca

Weather really is not the issue. There are plenty of photos of Tokyo Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris covered in snow.

The real issue is cost. A new Disney theme park resort would cost several billions of dollars and end up with only a handful of attractions. This is why the last two projects have been majority funded, and owned, by the local government.

Snow is not the issue. COLD is the issue!

Raineman

I don't think a seasonal Disney park would work, even if it was built in southern Ontario, where winters are usually somewhat moderate. Operating from April-October would certainly drive the ticket prices up to ensure profitability. Now, building an indoor Disney theme park in a domed building the size of a large football stadium-that would work, IMO. You may not be able to fit too many roller coasters in a building like that, but you would have lots of room for dark rides, restaurants, and even a couple of hotels, as you could have a tiered theme park, with the ability to build below ground as well as above, as well as the ability to built out from the area covered by the roof. It wouldn't lend itself to week-long vacations, but a 2 day-stay would work.

Walt Disney1955

Okay, as a Canadian who lives an hour away from Toronto...................no. This is not a good idea. It is too cold up here right now. It is still March. Right now as we speak it is -3 (Celsius). You want a translation into Fahrenheit? That's 26 degrees. There is no way I enjoy Disney and the things it has to offer standing in a line with my hat and gloves on freezing. Part of the appeal of a Disney park is the weather and like it was mentioned above, the scenery (flowers, etc.) You can't have that in Canada. In March there are no flowers. In April there are no flowers. Only May is when you can start seeing flowers.

Toronto is very nice in the summer, in fact it is quite hot. But July is not January either. Look at a place like Niagara Falls. I love Niagara Falls and visit it regardless of the time of year. While there are always tourists there, there are far fewer in the winter months. Canada just gets too cold. Heck, the Falls freeze over, no kidding!

I have said before that if they ever build another American Disney park that at the very coldest they could do it is in Tennessee right near Pigeon Forge. Dollywood is open from March to December. But still, that is three months it isn't open and a Disney park is not supposed to be cold. I wouldn't build another one in the States, two is enough and they should just work on those.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom