Canadian paying "CASH" for DVC??

a_la_jodes

Original Poster
My husband and I (Canadians) are saving up to purchase a DVC contract when we return to WDW in 2022.
We will have the money saved by the time we go, but what I am wondering is... how do we pay for this?

We don't need to finance it...
do we bring a cheque? load a credit card? I surely can't bring 20,000+ in cash to WDW LOL!

Has anyone ever done this before?
Just looking for some insight :)

Thanks kindly!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
They’ll take your checks. If it doesn’t clear they just take your points back.

Have you looked at resale? It’ll save you 40-50% vs buying direct from Disney. There’s some pros and cons but 40-50% of $20,000 is a lot of money!

a_la_jodes

Original Poster
They’ll take your checks. If it doesn’t clear they just take your points back.

Have you looked at resale? It’ll save you 40-50% vs buying direct from Disney. There’s some pros and cons but 40-50% of $20,000 is a lot of money!
The part that confuses me is the conversion, because we write our checks in Canadian $

I wonder how that would work

We have looked into resale but want to buy direct for perks and also we’ve fallen in love with riviera resort :)

thanks for your reply!

seascape

The part that confuses me is the conversion, because we write our checks in Canadian $

We have looked into resale but want to buy direct for perks and also we’ve fallen in love with riviera resort :)

thanks for your reply!
You should call DVC and ask them. I would think a certified check in US dollars would be acceptable to them and that you bank could arrange that for you.

correcaminos

I've done purchases in the US on credit card. That is what I would do personally if you can swing the full amount. You'll likely get a more favorable exchange rate and any rewards are a nice bonus. In fact credit card rewards are exactly why I did it on credit and not a check.

nickys

Premium Member
I've done purchases in the US on credit card. That is what I would do personally if you can swing the full amount. You'll likely get a more favorable exchange rate and any rewards are a nice bonus. In fact credit card rewards are exactly why I did it on credit and not a check.
I know some people who were able to pay in instalments on a CC, so they could pay it in chunks rather than putting the full cost onto a CC all at once.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

I know some people who were able to pay in instalments on a CC, so they could pay it in chunks rather than putting the full cost onto a CC all at once.
We did our last points add on completely on a CC, and Member Services was able to do a 6 month no interest on the charge. We paid it off in 3. We also received the CC rewards as well for the full purchase. Very nice bonus!

nickys

Premium Member
Get your self a Disney Visa card....$20,000 turns into like $200 in Disney cash...you can use for a couple of dinners while on property
I thought it was only available for US residents? I know we can’t get one in the U.K., not sure about Canada.

nickys

Premium Member
Ahhh...that i did not know.
Canadians might be able to get one though and worth looking into. It was still a good suggestion. 😊

edit: I decided to look on the website. Must have a US address essentially.

Eligibility
To be eligible for a Disney Visa Credit Card you must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, or have a United States military address. Accounts subject to credit approval. Restrictions and limitations apply. Disney Visa Credit Cards are issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC. Offer subject to change.

JaxFLBear

Get your self a Disney Visa card....$20,000 turns into like $200 in Disney cash...you can use for a couple of dinners while on property
From DisneyRewards.com:
Eligibility
To be eligible for a Disney Visa Credit Card you must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, or have a United States military address.

i<3riviera

you might look into TD Bank (US) accounts that you can open via TD Canada Trust; it's a full fledged US based account (not just USD held in a Canadian bank); not sure if you need a TD Canada Trust account to open the TD Bank (US) one but either way just going into a Canadian branch will get you sorted; I'm not aware of any other Canadian banks that have a similar US subsidiary but there might be?

TD will convert any of your CAD into USD but I second @TinyTGO's recommendation of using Wise (formerly TransferWise); you can use Wise even if you don't go the TD Bank (US) route though your recipient will need to accept ACH transfers (it's like Interac e-Transfers but from the 1960s / 1970s and pretty much worse in every way possible); most resale escrow agents do not accept ACH for some weird reason but it is otherwise widely accepted

DVC definitely takes credit card for direct purchases but be careful about foreign transaction fees if you pay with a CAD card; it might be worth a call / email to DVC to see if they'll take your CAD directly via cheque and at what exchange rate; I've only ever paid in freedom dollars

we launder transfer money with Wise and keep some Canadian dollars in a TD Trust Canada account (for when the second US civil war breaks out) and I've been happy with both services

gwhb75

Get your self a Disney Visa card....$20,000 turns into like $200 in Disney cash...you can use for a couple of dinners while on propery

thanks for your reply!
Fellow Canadian here (and also a finance guy). A few options:
1) Write a cheque and put "in US funds" on the cheque. Not a recommended way to do to as the bank charges a lot to cash the cheque, but it is an option
2) get a bank draft from your bank for the amount you need - this is the better option of the 2
3) If you have a credit card with enough room and can pay it off right away then use that as you'll get whatever reward points/cash back you have on you card.

As mentioned, resale could either a) save you a lot of money or b) get you more points for the same money. I know the restrictions in place make it less attractive than it used to be, but if you pick a resort you don't mind staying at as your home resort you will end up way ahead.

Pangyal

Fellow Canadian here!

You always have options, and Disney will always do everything they can to make it easy for them to take your payments ;). If you purchase directly through them, everything can go on a credit card- down payments, closing costs, and even the monthly loan payments if you need a “bridge” for any reason in your payment plan. If you purchase resale, you can do the deposit by credit card and then simply wire the funds due at closing, which is a simple phone call to your bank.

The suggestion by a prior poster to look into a USD/ US-based bank account is a solid one; you would save at least 2.5% in fees on the purchase that way due to not paying the Forex fees on the purchase. Royal Bank offers a US bank account with their US banking side, RBC Bank.

Good luck with your purchase :)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom