Canadian cruise out of New York

bow0303

Original Poster
If it were your choice, would you pick a cabin on the port or starboard side of the ship? What are the pros/cons for both? We're interested in this particular cruise but not sure which side of the ship would be best for us. We would have a verandah and wouldn't have to do the sail away party. Also if we wanted to have snacks on the verandah, would room service be available that soon?

Phonedave

When we did the Canadian itinerary in 2012, the Statue of Liberty was on the starboard side as we departed from NYC. Here's my trip report, and the reason I don't have any good pictures of the Statue from that trip: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magic-al-cruise-to-canada-8-5-12.843771/

No idea why he said port. I cannot imagine any cruise leaving from the NYC cruise port going past the statue of liberty with the statue on the port side of the ship.

In fact, thinking about it, I doubt a cruise ship could pass on that side of the statue. I just took a look, you are talking about 8' of depth on that side of the statue - I don't think they are going that way :)

Last edited:

Phonedave

Leaving from the NYC cruise port, you are starting North of this chart (up in this case). Manhattan is to the east (right). So on departure, you are sailing south (down) the white part of the chart.

If you leave from Bayonne you are about 2 miles south of here and on the west (NJ) side. Many times, if conditions allow, ships leave the Bayonne cruise port will sail north and then make a U-turn just past the statue, and then head out - allowing both sides to get a view.

ChuckElias

Other than seeing the statue of liberty. Would not port be the best views for a north travelling ship? I mean that would be the coast side
I mention in my trip report that we had a LOT of fog during our sailing. I'm not sure how much land we were going to see anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom