Canadian and UK point extension due to COVID

gwhb75

Original Poster
I didn't see this posted already...

I was on the phone with DVC member services yesterday to book a trip for January 2022. I would normally do it online myself, but I wanted to see what I could do about points that I had banked from 2019 that I have been unable to use due to travel restrictions because of Covid (we're Canadian, so our border has been closed for non-essential travel since March, 2020). I expected to hear that they would expire at the end of 2021, but the CM told me there is a program in place for Canadian and UK members to "extend" those banked points into 2022 if you request it. The points will extend as of the 2021 use month if they haven't been used by then.

Just thought it was interesting information.

dmdrewitt

I didn't see this posted already...

I was on the phone with DVC member services yesterday to book a trip for January 2022. I would normally do it online myself, but I wanted to see what I could do about points that I had banked from 2019 that I have been unable to use due to travel restrictions because of Covid (we're Canadian, so our border has been closed for non-essential travel since March, 2020). I expected to hear that they would expire at the end of 2021, but the CM told me there is a program in place for Canadian and UK members to "extend" those banked points into 2022 if you request it. The points will extend as of the 2021 use month if they haven't been used by then.

Just thought it was interesting information.

This is very useful information. Thank you for sharing

nickys

Premium Member
What I hate about this is that they’ve waited until minternational members have already rented points out because we’d already been told that there was nothing they could do.

Sure I got my dues paid for this year and next year already, but those points would have been so useful when booking our next stay.

If they hadn’t already said “sorry but our hands are tied” I I’d be delighted. As it is it leaves a sour taste.

correcaminos

What I hate about this is that they’ve waited until minternational members have already rented points out because we’d already been told that there was nothing they could do.

Sure I got my dues paid for this year and next year already, but those points would have been so useful when booking our next stay.

If they hadn’t already said “sorry but our hands are tied” I I’d be delighted. As it is it leaves a sour taste.
I am so sorry really! If I were in your shoes it would be a bit upsetting to have this happen.

dmdrewitt

I rang member services yesterday for the extension and they would only give a 6 month extension. So my 2019 points would expire on 30 Nov 2021, and they will add 6 months to this

Is this the same time as the OP? (6 month extension)?

gwhb75

Original Poster
I rang member services yesterday for the extension and they would only give a 6 month extension. So my 2019 points would expire on 30 Nov 2021, and they will add 6 months to this

Is this the same time as the OP? (6 month extension)?
They didn't mention a timeline to me (probably because I was booking for the first week of January and my use month is December)

nicb88

I actually lost over 150 points due to their ridiculous inability to do anything for me towards the end of last year. I was furious, given the fact we couldn't, and still can't, enter the USA.

If I had cancelled the vacation we had booked before they changed the rules back (when the USA itself started to open up), they would have extended them by an extra year, but I decided not to cancel then as I had still hoped to travel. Unlike an American who cancelled, there was no opportunity to rearrange due to the borders.

Given they want to 'protect their members', there has been very little done for international members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom