Can the East Coast Marvel Problem Really Be Solved? (Discussion)

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Most of us know that Universal has the theme parks right (east of the Mississippi) to the vast majority of Marvel characters as well as all the other particulars that go along with that. This post isn't about clarifying or debating any of that.

I am curious about potential (viable) solutions which would alleviate this headache for Disney, if there even are any. Surely, Universal isnt just going to give the rights up in the name of charity. Is it really just a matter of money or do you think such a negotiation would entail other assets which Disney has plenty of?

I know this situation is more than slightly different than the Al Michaels for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit deal but is a similar level of creativity needed here?

Does Universal really see a future for a land with characters that don't look the version the vast majority of the world now recognizes (the MCU version), especially when they still have lucrative IPs under their umbrella they currently are not utilizing in the parks? Is there a chance they could be concerned about brand confusion and/or integrity? Would any of the above even be enough to warrant a deal with an arch-rival?

Thoughts?

drizgirl

Uninversal has something Disney really wants. Why would they ever give it to them? Honestly, even if they just sit on the rights, why would they facilitate Disney getting it back?

Honestly, the more Disney fans want the rights back, the less likely Universal would be to cooperate.

Bottom line is that there is no Marvel problem in Universal's eyes.

Tom Morrow

Part of me wishes Universal would give up the rights, so Disney could do more with the characters than 90's interpretations of 90's comic book material. On the other hand, as soon as Disney gets the rights, Marvel characters will be shoe-horned in all over WDW, and I don't want that either.

It's weird to think that Marvel Superhero Island predates Marvel being anything other than a niche interest for kids and mega-nerds.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Uninversal has something Disney really wants. Why would they ever give it to them? Honestly, even if they just sit on the rights, why would they facilitate Disney getting it back?

Honestly, the more Disney fans want the rights back, the less likely Universal would be to cooperate.

Bottom line is that there is no Marvel problem in Universal's eyes.
I understand screwing Disney may be priceless right now but at what cost to Universal long-term? Again, are they going to just let that land stay out of spite when potentially more lucrative IPs could be leveraged now or in the future?

lazyboy97o

I understand screwing Disney may be priceless right now but at what cost to Universal long-term? Again, are they going to just let that land stay out of spite when potentially more lucrative IPs could be leveraged now or in the future?
The Marvel deal is close to a known cost and likely one of Universal's cheapest licensing agreements, and definitely the most lopsided in terms of cost to popularity. It's a bargain. There are other places they can leverage other properties. Two of Epic Universe's four (five if you include the hub) lands are licensed properties, so it's not like Universal is looking for places to put its own properties.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The contract only allows Disney to increase the licensing fee at the rate of inflation. Now compare that to the difference in popularity between 1994 (when the contract was made) and today. Anything they would replace it with could easily cost twice the price for something half as popular.

I ultimately comes down to money, whether that is cash, or something else of value. Everyone has their price.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
The Marvel deal is close to a known cost and likely one of Universal's cheapest licensing agreements, and definitely the most lopsided in terms of cost to popularity. It's a bargain. There are other places they can leverage other properties. Two of Epic Universe's four (five if you include the hub) lands are licensed properties, so it's not like Universal is looking for places to put its own properties.
Is Epic Universe still a go?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't think it can be solved just yet.

On one hand you have Marvel's value. Although IMO Marvel has hit (or is very close to) its peak. Its value is at (or near) its greatest right now. If Disney is looking to throw a bunch of cash around, Uni might entertain some ridiculous offer by Disney.

But for Uni this would be in conflict of their stated goal of striving to become more of a multi-day destination. I see it not so much as what Uni offers with the Marvel franchise. More so what they are keeping Disney from doing with it.

The current Uni offering with USO, IoA, Volcano Bay and the soon to be EK gives them a good foundation. Why compete with a "Disney's Marvel" - from a theme park perspective when its in stark conflict with your stated objectives - if you don't have to?

So it comes down to cash vs strategic initiative. And I think strategic wins at this point. But hey, who knows - that could change.

UNCgolf

I have nothing to add, other than to say as a Disney fan who simply doesn't like Marvel (or superheroes in general), I'm OK with the status quo.

I enjoy the Guardians ride in California Adventure, but I find the aesthetic out of place in a Disney parks.

I like the MCU and I'm still glad Disney doesn't have the rights to use most of the characters. I shudder to think what WDW would look like right now if Disney had free rein to start putting the Avengers in the parks a decade ago.

They'd be okay in DHS, but they don't fit in any of the other parks and I'm sure that would not have stopped Disney from sticking them all over the MK and EPCOT (especially EPCOT).

GimpYancIent

I like the MCU and I'm still glad Disney doesn't have the rights to use most of the characters. I shudder to think what WDW would look like right now if Disney had free rein to start putting the Avengers in the parks a decade ago.

They'd be okay in DHS, but they don't fit in any of the other parks and I'm sure that would not have stopped Disney from sticking them all over the MK and EPCOT (especially EPCOT).
Hmmmmm could a new land for the Marvel characters be a possibility or even a 5th gate?

Nottamus

Be like a sports team...

we’ll trade you one Iron Man, Thor, and A Captain America for a Purple dragon guy, and a land full of talking animals that live in a city, and we’ll throw in A Swan Reserve..

Animaniac93-98

I don't understand the fascination and desire by WDW fans to have Marvel rides in WDW. You really want something like Ant Man and the Wasp Nano Battle in Animal Kingdom?

Disney fans who wish to try Disney Marvel rides can visit Disney California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. or EPCOT for Guardians of the Galaxy. There's plenty of options you can choose from starting next year.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Hmmmmm could a new land for the Marvel characters be a possibility or even a 5th gate?

If a 5th gate ever was to be considered (which even before the pandemic seemed incredibly unlikely) devoting it to an IP would probably not be ideal.

A Marvel land would definitely fit in DHS either in the area where Animation Courtyard and the backstage area to RnRC or in the vicinity of Echo Lake and Indy. Both areas have rides that could easily be re-themed to Marvel properties (Star Tours and RnRC). If that were to happen the question would be, do you replicate the Avengers Campus at DCA or go for something different like possibly building off the existing urban vibe of DHS and doing a New York City theme since it contains so many iconic Marvel hero landmarks.

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
I don't understand the fascination and desire for WDW fans to have Marvel rides in WDW. You really want something like Ant Man and the Wasp Nano Battle in Animal Kingdom?

Disney fans who wish to try Disney Marvel rides can visit Disney California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. or EPCOT for Guardians of the Galaxy. There's plenty of options you can choose from starting next year.

Ant-Man would not be ideal but, honestly, I wouldn't hate a Marvel character ride in Tomorrowland. I know that is sacrilegious to some but it would probably be a better experience than Monsters, Buzz, or the now defunct Stitch.

A good number of east coast WDW fans will barely get out to DCA let alone Paris or Hong Kong. Plus, as much as I love Disney, if I'm doing a once in lifetime trip to Europe, I would have a hard time using my limited time going to a Disney park. Although, I do hear that DLP is absolutely gorgeous.

Cuzzi91

If universal updated Marvel Super Hero Island. I wonder if the characters would be based off of Disney’s current films, or do the characters have to be based off the comics.

lazyboy97o

I don't understand the fascination and desire by WDW fans to have Marvel rides in WDW. You really want something like Ant Man and the Wasp Nano Battle in Animal Kingdom?

Or just make the short trip up I-4 and experience the 20 year old Marvel land that still tops the duds Disney has put out.

Animaniac93-98

A good number of east coast WDW fans will barely get out to DCA let alone Paris or Hong Kong.

Many WDW fans have the means to do so, but don't out of stubborn habit. They'll go to WDW multiple times a year and then complain when other Disney resorts get rides they want to try.

Well, then make the effort. The difference in distance between Orlando and Anaheim from where many WDW fans live is greatly exaggerated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom