Can I use magic bands from 2014?

Jackiep9

Original Poster
We stayed on Disney property last time we went to Disney (in 2014) and got magic bands. This time we are staying off-property and I'm wondering if we can use our old Magic Bands? And if so, how do we link them up to fast passes, the photo service (can't remember what that's called!), tickets, etc?

Or if that's too complicated, how do all of those things work without a magic band? Is it all done through a phone app? How do you check in for fast passes? And can one person's app check the whole party in - kids and all?

I know I sound like an idiot, but I'm having trouble envisioning Disney without the ease of that magic band!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Short answer is - yes - your MB will still work for park entry and FP+. It may or may not work for the automatic ride videos, as the batteries for the long range sensor supposedly only had a 2 or 3 year lifespan. To use them, you have to link your park tickets to your MDE accounts. Each person - even children - need to have their own account, even if you do all of the management for their accounts. That's really where most of the magic takes place. You don't "check-in" for fast passes, you just show up at the ride during your window, and scan your MB. Each person has to do it separately - you cannot "check-in" anyone other than yourself. If you purchase the Memory Maker, you would link that to your MDE account as well.

The only way to do it without a MB is to have one of the older cards - which you can request in lieu of the MB for each person. You would do that at a Guest Services counter. If you have already linked your park tickets to the MDE accounts, your MB will already work for park entry and FP+.

FishyMom

Sorry, but each person does not need their own account. We have one account with 6 people in it. If you always travel with the same group of people, you can manage them through one account. It only makes a difference if you have people who might travel separately from your group. Then they would need their own account and you can be linked together as friends.

JaxFLBear

Each person - even children - need to have their own account, even if you do all of the management for their accounts.
Children under the age of 13 can't have their own MDE account. An adult needs to add them as a manage profile.

IMHO, each family unit should have their own MDE account and setup managed profiles for the other parent and children. While those that are 13 and older can have their own MDE account, it's not necessary.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom