can I take this on the plane??

beachgrl

Original Poster
ok this is a stupid question. I have a "play- hut" tent that my son loves. I was thinking I could take it with me(in my suitcase) it folds up to be very compact and has its own little cloth bag. Its made with wire running through it and Im wondering if i will be allowed to bring it.(because of the wire) I have not been on a plane since I was like 12 so Im not familiar with how things work now, but man will I be embarrassed if they make me take it out of its bag,and it pops open :lookaroun

CAPTAIN HOOK

Unless you're hoping to let let your son play in it (which he can't because it will block the aisles) the question has to be asked -
"Why would you want it with you ?"

wannab@dis

I don't see a problem with it. Put it in your carry-on and let them x-ray it. If they have a question about it, they'll take a look in your bag. Just warn them it will pop-up before they pull it out of it's little bag. :lol:

wannab@dis

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Unless you're hoping to let let your son play in it (which he can't because it will block the aisles) the question has to be asked -
If they are using DME, their regular bags may not show up for a while... if arriving early, their room may not be done and they want it with them... luggage gets lost by the airlines...

I've been there, done that with my little one. We kept her favorites in the carry on luggage. :lol:

timkelmom

If it's in your suitcase in the baggage area, you can bring it. They are really mostly concerned with what people carry on. We flew in Dec. and my husband packed his pocket knife in his luggage. No problem.

beachgrl

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:

we are renting a townhouse and I want to bring some of his toys for him to play with at the house. Why would I let him play with it in the airport?:confused:

beachgrl

Original Poster
timkelmom said:
If it's in your suitcase in the baggage area, you can bring it. They are really mostly concerned with what people carry on. We flew in Dec. and my husband packed his pocket knife in his luggage. No problem.

Thanks thats what I wanted to know.:)

CAPTAIN HOOK

beachgrl said:
Why would I let him play with it in the airport?:confused:
For exactly the same reason I asked why do you want it with you on the plane :hammer:
If its in the aircraft hold you've got no reason to worry about taking it with you.

AliciaLuvzDizne

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
For exactly the same reason I asked why do you want it with you on the plane :hammer:
If its in the aircraft hold you've got no reason to worry about taking it with you.
:lol: i totally pictured a pop up tent in the aisles :lookaroun

some people dont check bags though... maybe this is one of those cases *shrug*

beachgrl

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I was going to put it in my suitcase and check it, but I was thinking that they look in your suitcases that you are checking...and thats why i pictured it popping up and that would be hysterical(because it is like a tent!):lol:
so they dont look in the suitcases that you check? oh ok. like I said I am a novice flyer.:eek: Anyhow my dad is taking us to the airport so if they do say I cant bring something, i will just try to give it to him.

thanks again

wannab@dis

No, you're right. Random checked baggage is opened and searched. You'll have a piece of paper in your bag if it is selected to be checked. I doubt they would pull the tent out of the carry bag.

Yellow Shoes

I was on an airplane 2 weeks ago and my checked bag was opened by the TSA.

Because of the layout of the Kansas City airport, I was able to watch the search.

She just lightly lifted my clothes (neatly folded and packed because this was the beginning of my trip), then ran a paper towel-like rag around the edges of the bag. I think it was to check for explosives residue.

If the tent is in the drawstring bag, it shouldn't pop open regardless of what kind of search happens.

There is information at this website about luggage restrictions:

http://www.tsa.gov
It is good to check, because the restrictions change frequently.

You should also check your airline's web site for weight restrictions on each bag. They vary quite a lot (some are 70 pounds; some are 50). The surcharges for overweight luggage are substantial--like $40 per bag.

It may seem like a lot of work, but you don't want any surprises at the airport.

Oh yeah--wear slip on shoes, and don't be surprised if they check the baby. People HAVE been know to conceal explosives in a baby's diaper.

Yellow Shoes

^^^^
Right.

If you want to lock your luggage, make sure the lock says TSA certified on the package.

The locks that came with your luggage probably aren't TSA certified, unless your luggage is very new.

You will need to buy new locks, or just do without.

Evan's Servants

Even if you're using TSA locks, they'll still just cut them off if they want to. Why bother getting the correct key when a set of strong pliers is the "universal" opener? Laziness abounds. I've had three locks and one suitcase totally trashed courtesy of the TSA. The suitcase was destroyed when in the process of cutting the lock off they cut and then ripped the zipper. Nice. No appology, no recourse. "We trash your stuff and we don't care, we're untouchable -- we're the TSA." I quit locking my luggage at all. If it's valuable, (like souveniers) I'll spend a few extra bucks and UPS them home. At least they take responsibility if they destroy things.

PixyDust

My mom actually carried on her knitting needles earlier this month when we went to Phoenix. My opinion - those could kill someone! So they must have REALLY laxed the rules!!!

BRER STITCH

The best idea is to just check it in with your luggage.

They X-RAY all bags and search or swab others for drug or explosive residue. With most bags, there is no problem!

The general rule is that BAGS BEING CHECKED SHOULD NOT BE LOCKED at all, in case they have to be opened to be examined. A great tip, though is to secure the zippers closed with a simple twist tie (from a bread wrapper) or a plastic "zip strip" that can be easily removed without harming the bag!

If you've put that much thought in to bringing the play tent, by all means BRING IT so you don't regret leaving it home!!!

SAFE JOURNEY!

:wave:

Kwit35

I would just call the airline and ask. My hubby travels a lot for work. He carries one of our products with him at all times. It happens to be a metallic cylindrical tube. He has never had a problem.

ErickainPA

They shouldn't have an issue with the tent in it's own bag. We traveled over Christmas from Philly to Orlando and though our bags had the TSA baggage search paper in them, nothing was disturbed at all.

Leave the luggage locks off, even if they are TSA approved, not worth the money or the hassle of possibly having destroyed luggage.

Quote: People travelling with babies have waaaaaay too much stuff to even consider not checking bags!!

Actually I have seen more people that are without kids bringing on more crap than those with kids. I wish airlines would enforce the rule of checking bags, I don't get why so many people are afraid to check bags. On our latest trip earlier this month, people were coming on the plane with 2-3 suitcases (not just little carry on types either) these were big pieces of luggage or overstuffed duffle bags. Our flight was a full flight and not even 1 extra seat, the overheads were full and they had to take bags to check in the end which added another 20 mins to us sitting at the gate while these bags (which should have been checked to begin with) got checked and put under the plane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom